ForumsQuestionsGeo Information

Geo Information
michi.maurer

Posted: Jul 08, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Feature Suggestion: In some situation it would be very helpful to have geo information in the task context. This could be used in various cases. As example when I'm on the way with the iphone und come near the location of the task I get a reminder (like things to shop -> shopping center).

With the iphone it would be also possible to use the available geo information when creating the task.

What does the toodledo team think about it? others?
Anders

Posted by michi.maurer:
Feature Suggestion: In some situation it would be very helpful to have geo information in the task context. This could be used in various cases. As example when I'm on the way with the iphone und come near the location of the task I get a reminder (like things to shop -> shopping center).

Overall, a good idea, though it would not be useful for iPod folks like me :(
However, there would be a problem with the part I quoted. Apple still does not allow any apps to run in the background, even with push Toodledo is not actually running in the background. So, in order to get any kind of location based reminders, the app would have to remain open all the time. One of the many flaws in the Apple scheme.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
thpope

Posted: Jul 09, 2009
Posted by Anders:
Posted by michi.maurer:

Overall, a good idea, though it would not be useful for iPod folks like me :(
However, there would be a problem with the part I quoted. Apple still does not allow any apps to run in the background, even with push Toodledo is not actually running in the background. So, in order to get any kind of location based reminders, the app would have to remain open all the time. One of the many flaws in the Apple scheme.
I was thinking this would very cool, but also realized that the app would have to be open all the time for it to work, or does it? The AIM app has the ability to locate you every 5 minutes or 2000 ft. So how does it do it? My guess is there must be a way for AOL to ping your phone for your location. I haven't tested this extensively to know for sure, but it sounds intriguing to me.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 10, 2009
If AIM can do that, then they must have gotten special treatment from Apple, because this isn't possible for regular third-party apps.
thpope

Posted: Jul 13, 2009
That wouldn't surprise me if they did, it seems apple gives google special treatment.

However, after using this for awhile, I'm not thinking the geo updating is happening unless I have AIM open.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.