ForumsQuestionsHave default view with sub-tasks automatically nested?

Have default view with sub-tasks automatically nested?
Alisa

Posted: Jul 09, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Is there a way to have my list default to my sub-tasks being nested? Every time I start using the service I have to click Search and then toggle the sub-tasks.

Thanks!
Anders

The answer, which may sound confusing at first, is yes you can have your subtasks shown nested by default but you're still going to have to hit Toggle Subtasks.

To have your subtasks nested, click "Filters" above your task list. Then Click "Nest Subtasks". Your filter settings are saved, so you will always see things the way you left them. However, even when nested there is a toggle for subtasks. In nested view, it toggles all subtasks open or collapsed into their parent tasks. The default, for now, is collapsed, so even in nested view, you still have to click Toggle or open individual parent tasks by clicking the "subtasks" icon that parent tasks have instead of the "hand".

Allowing for a default nested and opened view is a very popular request, and one of my personal favorites :)
Alisa

Thanks Anders! I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I absolutely love Toodledo! I just found the I'm using it less and less lately because I have to take time to get my view just the way I want it. I know - a lame excuse for me slacking on my to-do's! :)
Alisa

OK, that worked. I changed my default to Nest Sub-tasks for everything except the Search View. I don't see a Filter option in Search View. Is there a way to next the sub-tasks in Search View?

Thanks!
Anders

Your regular filters apply in Search View as well, but the way subtasks behave there confuses me as well. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe if you have them nested elsewhere, they will be nested in the search as well. You should have no subtasks in line with your parent tasks.

This message was edited Jul 09, 2009.
Anders

Posted: Jul 12, 2009
Alright, so what I posted above is not quite right, but I believe I have it figured out now. Your Filters do NOT apply in Search view. So if a subtask meets the search criteria, it will be shown when you have subtasks toggled shut, but not when they are toggled open because the Toggle Subtasks button, in Search view effectively switches between nested and flattened. If you don't want subtasks showing when you toggle parents shut, you must add a new search criterion. If your search is of the form: (A OR B) AND C, then you just need to add AND "Is Subtask" = "no". If your search is of the form (A AND B) OR C, then you must add that to each subset separated by OR, like: (A AND B AND Is Subtask=no) OR (C AND Is Subtask=no)
gkumar

Posted: Jul 15, 2009
I also would like to second Anders' request about having the default view in nested and toggled (opened) subtask view mode. Is there a timetable on when this view will be enabled by default in our options? This inherently will make subtasks much more useful to the masses with minimal tweaking.

Also, is there a way to add subtasks that inherit the default values in the task fields? Or at least inherit the task fields of its parents? Or duplicate a task or subtask to make easy additions without having to populate the fields every time a task is added?
Anders

Toodledo generally does not comment on release dates, but I know this is a popular request, and I'm sure Toodledo realizes that.

Subtasks inherit the parent's Folder, but that is all for now. Toodledo also has subtask field inheritance on their to do list. If you want a subtask to have you New Task Defaults, you must create it as a regular task, and then drag it under it's parent with the hand icon.
Anders

BTW, if you use Firefox, someone has posted a Greasemonkey script to get the nested and toggled open look automatically: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/2304/0/greasemonkey-firefox-script-for-auto-show-subtasks.html
scobell

Posted: Aug 16, 2009
Please allow a default option to make tasks nested & open view !

Vote +1

Posted by Anders:

The answer, which may sound confusing at first, is yes you can have your subtasks shown nested by default but you're still going to have to hit Toggle Subtasks.

Allowing for a default nested and opened view is a very popular request, and one of my personal favorites :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.