ForumsQuestionsUpdated Layout - Three Issues and One Request

Updated Layout - Three Issues and One Request
mlb32704

Posted: Mar 08, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
Trying to get used to the new layout, I think I like it but I'm not sure yet.

Three definite issues:

1.) In the previous version, after adding a task, if I hit the "All Tasks" button out to the left, it would refresh the screen. Now it doesn't do that. It actually doesn't do anything. If I want to refresh, I have to F5 etc. Not sure if that is correct or not.
2.) When adding a new task, regardless of what date I select (today, tomorrow, etc.), I have to click outside of that pop up calendar dialog in order to get back to a place where I can see/edit/add the task. That's definitely not right. When I click on a date, it should immediately go back to the previous main add task dialog.
3.) Something very flukey/funky about scrolling up and down my entire list of tasks. I have a lot of them granted, and they are not organized into folders, they are all in one place. When I use the sidebar tool to scroll up and down, down in particular, it keeps popping up on me and not letting me go down all of the way. I have to continuously push that sidebar tool down to see more and more of my list. If I slowly let it digest a few tasks, I can work my way down my entire list, same for going back up. That's not good.

My one request - the addition of the three items to the left of each task really pushes the whole task to the right significantly. And those three things are not customizable. Maybe they can be in a future release.

I do like some of the other function movements and layout changes. But no, I am seeing absolutely no increased speed in refresh rates or the like, as was alluded to in the quick advertisement for the new version when I switched over.

Thanks.

This message was edited Mar 08, 2017.
zenseeker0

I'm still trying the new layout and was immediately frustrated with #2 on your list (clicking outside the calendar pop-up). I'd also like that to be remedied.
mlb32704

Score: 1 Reference
It's probably just me and a matter of getting used to it, but so far I've been playing around with the new layout from a basic usage perspective as I always use ToodleDo. The new layout looks nicer, but overall the old layout is more user friendly. That's my opinion, sorry. Not that I would imagine ToodleDo is ever going to stand still and remain the same even if it worked perfectly fine before it was "broken", but the old version was fine, sorry.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
1) If you have keyboard shortcuts enabled in your account settings you can press "R" to refresh the list. Otherwise another way to do this it to open the list menu in the blue toolbar above the list and select the same list that you are viewing. I will see if I can also make clicking on the same list in the sidebar do the same thing.

2) The popup calendar allows you to set the date, the time and the alarm. You may want to set the time and the alarm, and it would be annoying if you had to open that popup 3 times to set all three things, so we can't make it go away immediately when you click a date. However, if you want to do this, you can double click the date, and the popup will go away right away if you do that.

3) I have not encountered this scrolling problem. Can you please help me understand this better? What browser are you using? Would it be possible for you to attach a screenshot to this forum or a private support ticket?

mlb32704

Hi Jake:

1.) I don't have keyboard shortcuts enabled. Your tip for clicking on the "All Tasks" category up top does work and refreshes, but it's an extra keystroke. It would be great if you could bring back that original functionality from the previous version. I keep forgetting then hitting F5 as a temporary measure.

2.) I did not know about the double click trick, that works, at least for me. Again, I don't need to set any times, alarms, etc. but I'm an exception to the ToodleDo rule (aka a to do list simpleton), as you know.

3.) The only way for me to show you the issue would be to video via iPhone and send you Dropbox link or something. A picture will not really show the issue. Let me know if you would like to go that route.

I am using Google Chrome.

Thanks.

MB

mlb32704 Post deleted
coolexplorer

Posted: Mar 09, 2017
Posted by mlb32704:
It's probably just me and a matter of getting used to it, but so far I've been playing around with the new layout from a basic usage perspective as I always use ToodleDo. The new layout looks nicer, but overall the old layout is more user friendly. That's my opinion, sorry. Not that I would imagine ToodleDo is ever going to stand still and remain the same even if it worked perfectly fine before it was "broken", but the old version was fine, sorry.

I guess user preference varies. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it, as I was a beta tester. I really like the new version (particularly the repeat icon in the checkbox, the easy task delete options, the sub-task visibility, the priority colors, the easy modification of custom searches, the easy resizing of columns, etc, etc).

Yes there are quite a few important issues to be ironed out as mentioned by other users in comments above. I am sure they will be in a short while, as Jake is very responsive to feedback.

This message was edited Mar 09, 2017.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I think I understand your scrolling issue. If your list has thousands of tasks on it, it takes a long time for the browser to draw all those tasks. One of the optimizations that we did was we only draw and display the tasks that are visible. All the ones that are below the scroll are not drawn. This makes the lists load very fast, even if they have thousands of tasks. I think the problem is that you are dragging the scrollbar very fast which causes the web browser to try to quickly draw and undraw many many tasks which may make it stutter or behave strangely. I will look into ways to improve this. One thing you might want to do is us folders, or tags or some other sorting method to allow you to look at shorter lists instead of looking at one long list that you have scroll through.
garyo

I have keyboard shortcuts enabled but most of them don't work anymore, including 'R' and '?'. 'F' for Find does work though.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
R should still work, but if no changes have been made, you wont see anything happen because there is nothing to refresh. The quickest way to test this is to add a new task, which should be at the top. Then press R and it will refresh to the proper position, but if you press R again, nothing will happen because there is nothing that needs to be refreshed.
mlb32704

Jake, thanks for the response. Your explanation of the scrolling issue makes perfect sense. I just tried it again and it didn't happen, I was able to rapidly scroll up and down without issue. Unfortunately, folders just won't work for my needs, I did try them and actually I do make use of tags and categories but I get the most out of ToodleDo by simply reviewing all tasks, which I sort by tag, priority and due date. That's fine for me and has been fine for years. I'll make do with whatever the new ToodleDo offers, and I will continue to shoot updates on any bugs as I see them. All the best, thanks again.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.