ForumsQuestionsUsing Start Time to Hide Future Tasks

Using Start Time to Hide Future Tasks
derek.hansen

Posted: May 11, 2017
Score: 19 Reference
There have been several requests to be able to use start time to hide future tasks in the same way that we use start date - the task wouldn't display on the list until the start time - going back to 2010. The posts that I could find are locked due to age.

Wonderful ToodleDo Admins have replied that this is on their list, but they haven't received many requests for it (implying it has been a low priority).

ToodleDo - Please consider me a hearty +1 for this feature!

Users - Please up vote this post if this feature would be helpful for you!

(Another user suggested using tags/contexts to be able to hide/view tasks that we only want to see during a particular period of the day. This is helpful, but if I forget to clean the cat litter box in the evening one day, I'd still like to have it be on my list the next morning.)

Thanks!
boydston01

Score: 0 Reference
Do you mean that if the start date is today and the start time is 8p, the task is hidden until 8p? So basically more granular time filtering?
derek.hansen

Yes, that is what I mean.
jparrot99

Posted: Jun 28, 2017
Score: 3 Reference
I see this has been on the list for ToodleDo since 2014.

I would also like this feature. Please consider moving it up the list. Please :)

Jose
Ummagumma

Posted: Jun 28, 2017
I just recently started to use 2Do with Toodledo. And it works in exactly that way - I can snooze a tag, and the task will disappear, but it will re-appear on due date. I think at this point 2Do is a far better mobile companion to Toodledo than their own mobile app.

Another trick may be to set the task to negative priority, hide negative priority tasks, and set up an alarm (assuming you are using a paid plan). Not sure how reliable this is.
fizzyice

Posted: Jul 01, 2017
The bottom of this section might help by using timers, I've added it to Tips and Tricks also.

Pausing tasks can be achieved by creating a saved search.
Add Tag -0 to a task and the task will disappear from that search for today and automatically re-appear tomorrow.
Add Tag -1 to a task and the task will disappear from that search for today and tomorrow then automatically re-appear the day after tomorrow.
Just don’t modify the tagged tasks whilst hidden and it should work correctly.
Dedicate the symbol - only to these tags.

I have been using this system for a long time on another task manager system where the credit goes to the person that originally created ‘sleeper tags’ years ago to act like start dates, this system can also be adapted for other uses such as review dates etc

My saved search with pausing tags looks similar to this:-

“ANY”

Start date is before tomorrow
AND Tag doesn’t contain -

OR
Due date is before tomorrow
AND Tag doesn’t contain -

OR
Tag is -0
AND date modified is not Today

OR
Tag is -1
AND date modified was not in the last 1 days

OR
Tag is -2
AND date modified was not in the last 2 days

OR
Tag is -3
AND date modified was not in the last 3 days

You can also pause by minutes and hours by adding to the saved search:-
Activate the timer of the task first then add the tag, the task will disappear and then re-appear once the stated time has elapsed.

For example:

OR
Tag is -30m
AND Timer is more than 0h 30m

OR
Tag is -1h
AND Timer is more than 1h 00m
Tâches personnelles

Posted: Jul 16, 2017
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by derek.hansen:
There have been several requests to be able to use start time to hide future tasks in the same way that we use start date - the task wouldn't display on the list until the start time - going back to 2010. The posts that I could find are locked due to age.

Wonderful ToodleDo Admins have replied that this is on their list, but they haven't received many requests for it (implying it has been a low priority).

ToodleDo - Please consider me a hearty +1 for this feature!

Users - Please up vote this post if this feature would be helpful for you!

(Another user suggested using tags/contexts to be able to hide/view tasks that we only want to see during a particular period of the day. This is helpful, but if I forget to clean the cat litter box in the evening one day, I'd still like to have it be on my list the next morning.)

Thanks!

You can achieve this through a saved search.
It involves a complex set of conditions interacting with AND and OR operators, but I did it for my personal use.

I can share that if anyone intereste.

Regards
riza

Posted: Jul 23, 2017
Would definitely be interested in your saved search conditions, Tâches personnelles. I can't figure out how to enter "now" as a condition for a start time.
M

Posted: Jan 17, 2018
Posted by riza:
Would definitely be interested in your saved search conditions, Tâches personnelles. I can't figure out how to enter "now" as a condition for a start time.

Me, too!
Zendio

Posted: Feb 26, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
I would also like the more granular control, meaning that when you hide Future Tasks, it won't show up until that particular date and time.
Right now it still shows up on the start date, disregarding the start time.
holtcoby_3

Posted: Mar 09, 2018
I'm aware prior answers say they would avoid using tags for this, but my setup might be helpful or at least a partial bridge to fully-start-time-filtered future:

My weekly schedule is pretty stable, so in order to see tasks only at relevant times, I have set tags:

05, 07, 11, 16, 17, 18, 20, 23 for weekday times (24hr clock) - each represents a stage of my day and therefore what's doable
s06, s08, s10, s14, s17, s23 - for Saturdays - I don't work so fewer context differences
u06, u10, u17, u23 - for Sundays - much more flexible day with wife and I both not working etc.

With Toodledo Android's behavior that when looking at Tasks by tag, the dropdown list has the current tag at the top, I can very easily move to the next tag, and its only a very small mental effort increment to return to 05 on Tue-Wed-Thu-Fri mornings.

When I'm adding new items in a review, I'm already in All Tasks view, and the Preferences are set with new item defaults to add every tag. I can then deselect only what is obviously not needed (yardwork during work hours etc) and know that I have maximized the new tasks visibility.

I would seriously take advantage of tasks hidden until start-timestamp not just start-date!
coolexplorer

Posted: Mar 10, 2018
Strengthening the TD tags structure (maybe even nested tags) and tag operations would be the single most useful feature. It would allow users to customize their workflow to there hearts desire. Other aspects of TD have been well sorted recently, and further refinement would bring only marginal results.

Come on Jake, help us discover the power of tags in power organizing, searching and sorting.
jonthesharp

Posted: Mar 26, 2018
I just figured out a work around that works for me. Using the following logic

(Due Time is in the next 120 min
OR
Due Time is ______ (blank)
OR
Due Time was in the last 2440 min)
AND
(Due Date is before tomorrow
OR
Due Date is Today)

This allows me to see all the tasks due today or past due, and hide all task with a time until, 120 min before their time, which seems to work best for me because then they show up on my radar a little before they need to be done.

Hope this is helpful.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.