ForumsQuestionsRemoving Pagination on Tasks Beta

Removing Pagination on Tasks Beta
Duo

Posted: Jun 15, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
How do I remove the pagination on tasks beta?

Pagination appeared a couple of days ago and now arbitrarily limits the number of tasks that are visible and I can see no way to turn this off or change how it works.

Is it something people have been requesting? In its current state it seems to increase the risk of missing tasks.

If you are now adding new features, are there any updates on deeper hierarchies or the manual sorting of all tasks?

Also is there an ETA for the filter button at the bottom of the page to work again? Better yet is there any chance that the filter button at the bottom of the page will be changed to the "Peek" feature I suggested elsewhere a little while ago, which was: temporarily removing the filters thus allowing us to see hidden items but not requiring us to reset our filters afterwards?
coachmac

Posted: Jun 16, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
This is just impossible for me. I just need to scroll all my tasks. Pagination is absurd here.
pawelkaleta

Not a very good idea.
-1 for pagination.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Just something we are experimenting with. Which is why its on beta and not in production. Thanks for the feedback.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jun 19, 2017
Count me in as part of the angry mob, please :) Absolutely don't like the idea, sorry.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2017.
Duo

Posted: Jun 20, 2017
Posted by Jake:
Just something we are experimenting with. Which is why its on beta and not in production. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Jake,

So if I move off the Beta channel is there anything else I'll loose right now across the various parts of Toodledo or is pagination the only thing currently in beta?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 21, 2017
Thats the only thing
Duo

Posted: Jun 21, 2017
Posted by Jake:
Thats the only thing

Okay, thanks. I'll switch away from the Beta until the feature can be disabled by the user or until it is removed.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 22, 2017
There was a bug in our experiment that caused the pages to break at 10 tasks, which I agree is ridiculous. I have fixed the bug so pages now break at 200 tasks. The advantage that this gives is that lists load faster now. We're trying to find a tradeoff between pages loading fast and with enough information to be useful. Those people that like to load 2000+ task lists will notice a big improvement when the pages thing is turned on. So please give us some feedback now that the pages are a reasonable size.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Jun 23, 2017
IMHO it is a bad idea for any numbers of tasks per page set. I don't know what is the percentage of users having such huge number of tasks on their list but I really doubt loading and scrolling of them all on one list is efficient for anyone. So probably most of users split their lists by Contexts or Folders and THAT play the role of pagination.

Maybe you could enable pagination in 'All Tasks' view only? Or please make the number of displayed tasks per page customizable, with an option to allow as many tasks user wants and if someone wants more than 2000 then sorry, has to wait longer.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jun 23, 2017
Posted by pawelkaleta:
IMHO it is a bad idea for any numbers of tasks per page set. I don't know what is the percentage of users having such huge number of tasks on their list but I really doubt loading and scrolling of them all on one list is efficient for anyone.

As bad as scrolling a list is, it's way better than having to flip through the pages, plus it preserves the visual continuity.

So probably most of users split their lists by Contexts or Folders and THAT play the role of pagination.

Can't speak for most, but I do both. I use folders / tags / priorities to break down my tasks for actual plan execution, but there's no way for me to avoid working with a large single master task list for at least some part of high-level planning. Which is why I need to preserve the integrity of this list without the program forcing me to break it in a way that does not feel natural to me.

Maybe you could enable pagination in 'All Tasks' view only? Or please make the number of displayed tasks per page customizable, with an option to allow as many tasks user wants and if someone wants more than 2000 then sorry, has to wait longer.

Or just make pagination a user option.

And it's not 2000 tasks we're talking about. Currently, I have 167 tasks in my work task master list. And on my laptop, only about 25 or so fit on screen at the same time. So scrolling is inevitable.
Duo

Posted: Jul 03, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Jake:
There was a bug in our experiment that caused the pages to break at 10 tasks, which I agree is ridiculous. I have fixed the bug so pages now break at 200 tasks. The advantage that this gives is that lists load faster now. We're trying to find a tradeoff between pages loading fast and with enough information to be useful. Those people that like to load 2000+ task lists will notice a big improvement when the pages thing is turned on. So please give us some feedback now that the pages are a reasonable size.

The problem is that having not seen every task as expected even just a few times I now no longer trust what Toodledo displays. I find myself scrolling to the bottom and checking for pagination.

This is bad since I need to be able to trust the results.

As for the implementation itself, once you move back a page there is nothing at the top of a page to tell you what importance / context or whatever the first items on the page happen to be in. If you intend to implement this feature then this needs to be fixed.

Also 200 items is too low. If you intend to implement this feature then please make it an option that lets users choose how many tasks to display before pagination occurs and default it to "Off".

Surely those people loading 2,000+ tasks lists realize that it may be slow. Can't such users can segment their lists if they have a speed issue?

Is this an issue for any significant number of people? Maybe it is, I don't know - I just haven't seen it asked for repeatedly and I haven't seen it implemented in other task managers.

I'm sorry to say this, I really am, but I just can't figure out how Toodledo (the company) prioritises things. One of the basics of time management is that you do the most important things first. Yet again and again I see Toodledo effectively faffing around at the edges doing things that just don't seem to be important.

I see people asking for things like deeper hierarchies, multi-select, a user interface that wouldn't have been out of date in 1999, etc but still it seems that time is spent doing things that aren't high priority (based on what I see asked for repeatedly) at the opportunity cost of not doing other more important things.

Of course I may be wrong and you may be fixing important pain points for users but when I look at things asked for over repeatedly over the years that people are still waiting on, I have to wonder.

This message was edited Jul 04, 2017.
Adrien Beau

Posted: Jul 04, 2017
As you may know, Toodledo has limited development resources, and they are currently focused on a deep rework of the Tasks section. In my opinion, a very good decision. As part of that rework, an attempt was made to improve GUI speed by limiting the number of tasks displayed at once; like others, I do believe pagination is misguided, though there may be other, more difficult, solutions. Knowing a bit of how such web sites work, this was most likely not an expensive or difficult attempt. A low-hanging fruit in a way.

The other features you mention, and that some users have requested for years, are significantly more difficult to implement, and can have complicated and far-reaching consequences. I would prefer if Toodledo also made progress on that front, but I prefer they are focused on one big task, and going through with it, rather than half-assing many things at once.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.