ForumsQuestionsDoes Toodledo still not allow proper CSV export ?

Does Toodledo still not allow proper CSV export ?
Ummagumma

Posted: Jul 19, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Purveyor:
Have you read Mark Foster's thoughts on task management?
http://markforster.squarespace.com/

I just did :)

It may work for many people, and some elements are in agreement with what I am doing, like setting a daily goal of tasks to work on first and next.

However, there are some areas where his approach won't work for me. He makes no allowance for sudden intererence / change of plans, which in a typical job is a norm rather than an exception. He doesn't seem to have any special handling for tasks that have a deadline and require long time to complete, especially when there's a fair amount of them overlapping and conflicting with one another. The whole idea behind using a service like Toodledo is to handle these kinds of tasks. His approach would be best served with something like iOS Reminders or Google Tasks, simple and straightforward list.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2017.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jul 19, 2017
So, here's my method du jour. I tried to design it so that it worked with different services, so I put the Toodledo terminology along with more "common" terminology.

I use just a few major task attributes - Folders (Lists), Start date (Alarm), Due Date, Priority (including Star). Everything else, is optional and not essential.

Folders are basically categories. It's important to also have a Master task list to see all tasks at once.

Start date is my main trigger for a task. This is what makes Toodledo stand out - very few other services have separate start (or Alarm) and due dates. When a task triggers it's Start date, I must look at it. This doesn't necessarily mean "start working on it". It just means I have to take some action - including moving the start date. This is to make sure I don't miss the window of opportunity to work on that task.

Due date is another trigger point, reserved for tasks that have real deadlines. Many of my tasks have only a start date and no due date.

Priorities are to set the order in which I will work on my tasks. The ability to select a group of tasks to work on next - regardless of due date - is what's missing from most task management services. It's central to the way I work. I set the top 3-4 tasks as "Top priority" (I use Star in Toodledo, but only because I use Toodledo). I set the next 4-6 tasks as the next priority level.

A few times a week, I review my master task list, and set the Today and Next tasks. After that, I don't want to see the rest of my tasks except the ones that reached the trigger point. When I am up to my ears in work and behind the clock and the emails keep pouring in, seeing all these tasks in my list only stresses me out. This is where custom filtering comes into play. And this is what makes reminders (alarms, popups etc) so important - to make sure I don't miss a trigger date for a task that's been filtered out. If this wasn't important, I'd keep my task list in Excel.

The final part of this whole system is accessibility. I need to be able to look at my task list / receive alarms anywhere. This is why a decent mobile client that supports my workflow is essential.

Toodledo has all the basic components, but as I said, many limitations.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2017.
Purveyor

Posted: Jul 20, 2017
It seems that you have everything pretty much under control.

I agree with some of your previous comments about the Toodledo mobile app. I don't like it and I don't use it. I've tried several third-party apps and I keep coming back to Appigo Todo which I started using shortly after the App Store was introduced in 2008. It's missing some of the features of Toodledo (e.g. it doesn't have any Saved Searches) but it syncs fine (as long as I am not also using the Toodledo app) and I like the look and feel of the app. (Nice big font, too.) They have their own online task manager but it is nowhere near as flexible and customizable as Toodledo's website, which is where I do most of my task management because most of my work involves being at a computer.

For now, that's the best I have to work with. I keep looking for something better and I used to be frustrated at Jake's inscrutable prioritization of software development, but then I accepted the fact that he's going to do what he's going to do, no what matter I say. He's running his business the way that he thinks is best. In any case, I keep regular backups of my data so that I can switch easily if I need to.
Ummagumma

Have you looked at 2Do ? It's what Toodledo's mobile client should have been. Fantastic implementation of smart lists aka saved searches, great configurable widget, quick access to custom filtering that can be set on the fly per list (!), a very basic but useful calendar module for meetings, basically the more I use it the more I realize the developer pretty much thinks like I do. I bought it years ago on sale but didn't really come to appreciate it until now. (I will still check out Appigo just in case).

I've read up on Toodledo yesterday, and I didn't realize until then that it is basically a one-man show. This explains a lot of direction decisions that I couldn't understand. Kudos to Jake, what he has built is very impressive indeed, considering he's up against teams of developers yet has one of the most comprehensive systems on the market. I just hope he has time & inclination to put a lot more attention on mobile clients - this is where the most users are gained / lost, and TD's mobile clients need lots of love.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2017.
Purveyor

I've looked at practically every task/todo app that exists. :-0

I bought 2Do a few years ago and I looked at it again when you mentioned it in another topic.
I'm not thrilled with the overall look but it's not bad. I don't like swiping left and right to show and hide screens. Seems to be quite finicky on my iPhone.
It has a few more features than Todo (attachments, Smart Lists) but it doesn't have Contexts, which I use.

How is the syncing with Toodledo? It seems that you were having some problems.
How does the syncing handle features that aren't in Toodledo: Actions, Projects, Checklists and Photos?
Ummagumma

Posted by Purveyor:
I've looked at practically every task/todo app that exists. :-0

I bought 2Do a few years ago and I looked at it again when you mentioned it in another topic.
I'm not thrilled with the overall look but it's not bad. I don't like swiping left and right to show and hide screens. Seems to be quite finicky on my iPhone.
It has a few more features than Todo (attachments, Smart Lists) but it doesn't have Contexts, which I use.

How is the syncing with Toodledo? It seems that you were having some problems.
How does the syncing handle features that aren't in Toodledo: Actions, Projects, Checklists and Photos?

The syncing problems were due to me running both the 2Do and Toodledo mobile apps together. They went away once I uninstalled Toodledo apps.

I don't use goals or contexts or actions. I am trying to not lock myself into one system, got burned a few times having to change platforms and apps and then being forced to completely redo my workflow. I posted the workflow I use above. Basically, every system supports Lists (Folders) and Due dates, after that the field is getting narrower and narrower. I only require / use Due date, start date, priority, and Notes. The rest is optional.

I also don't use the attachments, for the same reason. Instead, I copy links to the Google Drive files into Notes field. So I don't know if 2Do attachments can sync over to Toodledo.

What I like about 2Do is their great support for start date, and quick filtering and sorting based on advanced criteria. E.g. it's one of the few apps that allow me to set a start date without due date. So I can set a trigger for a task without creating a fake due / overdue condition. The second feature is the "Focus" button that can be configured independently (and very quickly) for each list separately. Finally, it has an extremely configurable widget. Also, it's all designed in the way that makes manipulating the tasks very quick and intuitive, for me at least.

Actions and contexts could be replicated by Tags, as I said though, I don't use them.

Checklists are supported, actually 2Do has two types - Projects where every subtask has it's own due date (like in Toodledo) and Checklists where they all have the same due date as the master task.

Ideally, I would still prefer to use Toodledo's own app, just to have a consistent way of doing things across all of my devices. But I can't stand the tiny font, I have to squint and I hate using the app.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2017.
Purveyor

Posted: Jul 21, 2017
Posted by Ummagumma:
I also don't use the attachments, for the same reason. Instead, I copy links to the Google Drive files into Notes field. So I don't know if 2Do attachments can sync over to Toodledo.
I'm pretty sure that 2Do attachments (which can only be photos, not other file formats) do not sync with Toodledo. I was just wondering whether the syncing would result in an entry in Notes if there's an attached photo. But, you don't use attachments so no answer for now.
Checklists are supported, actually 2Do has two types - Projects where every subtask has it's own due date (like in Toodledo) and Checklists where they all have the same due date as the master task.
Appigo Todo has Projects and Checklists but, if I use one of those in the app, there's an annoying special comment in Notes in Toodledo after syncing. That special comment does not show up when viewing the task in Todo. I'm wondering how it works in 2Do.

Edited.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2017.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jul 21, 2017
Posted by Purveyor:
Appigo Todo has Projects and Checklists but, if I use one of those in the app, there's an annoying special comment in Notes in Toodledo after syncing. That special comment does show up when viewing the task in Todo. I'm wondering how it works in 2Do.

Nothing shows up anywhere. The developer of 2Do seems to have an aversion to using any kind of text tags that would be visible in other apps. (I actually sometimes prefer to have them, even if it means getting some extraneous characters in the Notes field). So far as I can tell, any 2Do-specific features leave no trace whatsoever.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2017.
Purveyor

Posted: Jul 22, 2017
Good to know, thanks.
For now, I'll stay with Todo and wait for the next version of the Toodledo app.

Here something else to look at: https://www.mylifeorganized.net/
It will do everything you want, but it's a bit expensive and there's no web version.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2017.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jul 22, 2017
Posted by Purveyor:
Good to know, thanks.
For now, I'll stay with Todo and wait for the next version of the Toodledo app.

Here something else to look at: https://www.mylifeorganized.net/
It will do everything you want, but it's a bit expensive and there's no web version.

I know of MLO. It's a bit too much of a system contained all in itself. One of the lessons I've learned the hard way was that relying on a highly customized system that is centered on one product will inevitably result in a massive PITA once that product is no longer available or optimal for my use. So now, all of my workflow - not only task management - is set up to be as tool-independent as possible, and as accessible as possible (so web access is a must). Part of the reason I no longer use Onenote for personal data.

I did run into a small issue with 2Do - when I star a task in 2Do and then unstar it in Toodledo, the 2Do doesn't change. Not a biggie, since I only use the Star in 2Do anyway, because of how it's incorporated in their widget. Before that, I'd reserve the Top priority for "today" items and set up a filter.

If I, for whatever reason, am forced to quit using Toodledo, I will finally try and design a system that works with the "Dumb pack" of Google Task / iOS Reminders / any other system that only allows one date to be associated with tasks. I have some ideas on how to make it happen while still retaining flexibility. But I don't have the time for hoop jumping right now.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2017.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.