ForumsQuestionsCollapsing a task in inline view now hides subtasks on that day

Collapsing a task in inline view now hides subtasks on that day
frindley

Posted: Jul 26, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
Scenario:
Single day view, subtasks filter is set to Inline
A task is due on that today, together with at least one subtask of that task.
Both are visible, with their relative task hierarchy icons

Action:
Expand the task in order to temporarily view the other subtasks, which may include subtasks due on previous days.
Then collapse task to return to original view

Previously:
The subtasks on other days would disappear but the subtask due on the selected day would remain in the inline list as in the opening scenario

Now:
The subtask due on the selected day disappears as well, effectively as if the user has switched to "Hidden" view under subtask filters (although the filter still shows as "Inline")

Can this be fixed? At present I have to click twice on the date in the calendar to get the view to refresh and display correctly.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jul 26, 2017
The whole approach to the way the subtasks are handled is making them less useful than they could have been.

Ideally, subtasks should be hidden / collapsed, but shown automatically if they hit start date or due date. This would allow to keep them from cluttering the task list yet still make sure that the user doesn't miss the important dates.

However, as I understand, this is a limitation of the underlying programming system.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2017.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 27, 2017
The behavior that you are describing is the way that it has always been. When you toggle a task open, it will gather all the subtasks under it and leave them there until you refresh the page.
frindley

Posted: Jul 27, 2017
Posted by Jake:
The behavior that you are describing is the way that it has always been. When you toggle a task open, it will gather all the subtasks under it and leave them there until you refresh the page.

This post has been entirely edited.

You don't actually refer to the behaviour as a result of toggling the task closed (which is what I was recalling), but I now see that my memory was faulty. (Unfortunately I can't edit my original post to reflect that… Apologies to other readers)

It was indeed the case that, on toggling a task closed, the previously visible subtasks would disappear again.

So why did I remember it differently? Because previously all one had to do was click once on the date in the calendar and the view would resume the previous view with all tasks due on that date visible. I suspect I wasn't even bothering to toggle the task closed, but simply clicking on the date. And evidently that was such a quick, painless thing that it had become automatic and unnoticed by me.

Unfortunately that's no longer the case.

Now the options are clicking twice on the date or refreshing the screen using my browser controls which brings up the "Loading…almost there" and is fairly slow. Clicking twice is quicker, unless I do it too quickly in which case… but don't get me started… :)

I guess I can get used to clicking twice on the date as I'll used to the other aspects of the new calendar sidebar, but it would actually be nice if the toggling action for opening and collapsing the subtasks of a task really, truly toggled, i.e. toggling off restored the previous view rather than taking the user to a third, different view.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2017.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.