ForumsQuestionsBatch edit: automatically switch to "on" when changed?

Batch edit: automatically switch to "on" when changed?
frindley

Posted: Jul 27, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
When batch editing, it would be quicker and more intuitive if the change switch could automatically toggle to "On" in response to selecting a date or list item for that field.

I really can't imagine a scenario where you'd select an item for a field and then not want that field to change.
(I can understand why you might change your mind or make an error and then want to manually change a switch to "Off" but not a reason why, having chosen a change, you wouldn't want it on as a matter of course.)

This used to bug me in the old version too, where you had to click the radio button as well as select the change for the field. The number of times I wondered why my changes hadn't been made and then realised I hadn't clicked one or more radio buttons and needed to go in and repeat…

In most other apps and websites, when you choose something from a list or type in a field or whatever the associated radio button (or "on" switch equivalent) is automatically selected. It would be great if Toodledo could exhibit the same behaviour.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2017.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Jul 28, 2017
Exactly, it should automatically switch to on.
Purveyor

Score: 1 Reference
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We do this on purpose as a safety mechanism. Because a batch edit cannot be undone easily, we want to make sure you really mean it. So it requires 2 actions to edit a field to prevent any accidents.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Jul 29, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
Actually it requires 2 other actions before that (filtering to the list you want to batch edit and then choosing Batch edit option) and 1 another action after that (clicking OK to execute the batch edit). I'm pretty sure most of users are well aware of what they're going to do already before first action so there is definitely too much safety steps assumed.

Similarly to what has been already mentioned, I have realised several times that my changes hadn't been applied because I forgot to switch an option to On while in the same time I have never had a situation where current safety mechanism really had to save me from making mistake.
Purveyor

Posted: Jul 29, 2017
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by Jake:
We do this on purpose as a safety mechanism.
Several users have asked you to remove this counter-intuitive additional step. How many users have asked you to keep it?

This message was edited Jul 29, 2017.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.