ForumsQuestionsHow to setup a task reminder?

How to setup a task reminder?
DSM

Posted: Sep 27, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
I'm missing something in the user interface of the website...

If I go to the Tasks folder on the website and click on Add Task, I get the New Task slide in from the right where I can fill in the fields. I can fill in the fields as expected, but the Due Date confuses me. Once I fill in the Due Date, I want to Setup Reminders. That takes me to a whole new webpage where I can fill out a form for up to 5 reminders/alarms (which I don't fully understand yet). I wanted to try the iOS reminder (I've already turned on device reminders on my phone), but I'm not sure what's supposed to happen next. I assume that, after clicking on the iOS reminder, there is nothing more to fill out on this page and I can go back and finish adding the task, but I don't see any way of doing that. If I click the browser back button, the task is gone.

What am I missing?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 29, 2017
Setting up a place for your reminders to go is a one-time thing. Once you put in a location, like an email or iOS then you will be able to set reminders when adding a task. You dont need to do this every time you create a new task. Once you have done it once, the due-date popup will instead have an option to select the reminder time.
DSM

Posted: Oct 05, 2017
Still not quite getting it...

1. You go to Setup Reminders and specify where you want reminders to go?
2. You can have reminders go to several places based upon the slots you fill in Setup Reminders?
3. The assumption is that the Setup Reminders apply to all tasks that have a reminder?
4. You cannot have some tasks send a reminder to iOS and other tasks send a reminder to email?

Is this right?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 06, 2017
That is correct.
DSM

Posted: Nov 05, 2017
I still don't understand your explanation on setting up reminders for the first time. Specifically, the website's user interface does not make sense for me. I use the "Add Task" button to start adding the task, fill in the fields including Due Date. At the bottom of the Due Date/Time box, there is the Setup Reminders button. Clicking that brings up a new window to fill out. HOWEVER, there is no button to click to take you back to the Due Date box to finish filling in the task that you started. You click on the browser back button and you're taken back to the Tasks window, but the Add Task that you were filling in is gone. If you start a new task with Add Task, you again get down to filling in Due Date and there is a Setup Reminders button (so the previous setting of Setup Reminders was lost).

What is the trick?!? For me, reminders on the website is totally unusable!
Olivir 2017

Posted: Nov 06, 2017
Score: -1 Reference
You have to go to your profile/Alarms/Reminders (https://www.toodledo.com/tools/alarms.php), where you set up your alarms locations. Then, when you are adding a due date, you will not see the link Setup Reminders, but instead a list of values, when you should be reminded. The reminder for the task goes to all the locations, you have set up in the settings. Does that make more sense to you?

EDIT: Anotherwords, you set your locations once in settings for the whole Toodledo environment, and then you just set on a due date, how long before due you want to be reminded.

EDIT2: Also, to customize the time of the alarm, you have to be a subscriber.

Posted by DSM:
I still don't understand your explanation on setting up reminders for the first time. Specifically, the website's user interface does not make sense for me. I use the "Add Task" button to start adding the task, fill in the fields including Due Date. At the bottom of the Due Date/Time box, there is the Setup Reminders button. Clicking that brings up a new window to fill out. HOWEVER, there is no button to click to take you back to the Due Date box to finish filling in the task that you started. You click on the browser back button and you're taken back to the Tasks window, but the Add Task that you were filling in is gone. If you start a new task with Add Task, you again get down to filling in Due Date and there is a Setup Reminders button (so the previous setting of Setup Reminders was lost).

What is the trick?!? For me, reminders on the website is totally unusable!

This message was edited Nov 06, 2017.
DSM

Posted: Jan 24, 2018
I am a Silver Subscriber

I have gone to profile/Alarms/Reminders and set IOS as a Reminder location. I've then gone to one of my reminders in the web interface to try to set a reminder, but it still says "Setup Reminders" at the bottom of the Due Date interface. Therefore, I cannot set a reminder via the web interface. I can set it via the IOS app. I would normally reinstall the app, but this is the website, so I can't reinstall that. This is true on both Chrome and Firefox.

Any other ideas?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 26, 2018
After setting a reminder location, you need to go back to the tasks section and then reload the page so it can see that you have a reminder location now. If that doesnt work, try temporarily adding an email reminder and see if that works. This will give us a clue if it does.
DSM

Posted: Jan 31, 2018
Nope, not working for me.

On the website, I went to Setup Reminders and set an email reminder. At first, it was not obvious how to save that and move on (GUI adjustment). When I hit Return, it said Saved, so I thought things were good. I went to Tasks and looked at a Task with a DueDate. The DueDate setting still showed "Setup Reminders". Checked back in Setup Reminders and saw that my email setting was still there. Closed the Toodledo tab and reopened it. Checked the Setup Reminders and email setting was still there. Went to Task and DueDate, but it still said "Setup Reminders".

Whoops. It's working on Firefox, but not on Chrome. Hmm.
DSM

Posted: Jan 31, 2018
Whoops. Now it's working on Chrome. What did I do..? I'll have to play with this some more.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 01, 2018
You probably just needed to reload the page. Closing and reopening the tab sometimes isnt enough to do this. You actually have to press the reload button.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.