ForumsQuestionsScheduler Issues: Video

Scheduler Issues: Video
Proximo

Posted: Jul 24, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hello everyone,

I think there is an issue with the scheduler or I may not understand it's purpose correctly.

I created a short video with audio to show you my problem. Any comments would be appreciated.

http://screencast.com/t/D7Clto8UYMx
thpope

Score: 1 Reference
I believe it gives you a number of tasks where their estimated length *totals* to under your specified time frame. So, if you say 30 minutes, it grabs tasks that add up to 30 minutes or less.

It sounds like you were expecting it to give you all of the tasks that are equal to or less than what you specified. You could probably use the advanced search feature to get that.
Anders

Yes the scheduler is a procrastination breaker. Say you have an hour, but you don't have anything pressing that you must do. You can tell the scheduler you have 60 minutes, and it will give you an hour's worth of tasks to accomplish.

Also, The Pope is correct. If you simply want to find all your tasks with a certain length, or greater, or less than a certain length, you can use the Search View to do that.
Proximo

Posted: Jul 28, 2009
Thanks for the clarification.

I was thinking the Scheduler would show me a list of task to choose from that I can accomplish in the amount of time allocated.

I did not realize it simply finds task that add up to the amount of time I have.

Makes sense.

Thanks everyone.
Anders

Posted: Jul 28, 2009
You could easily use a search to find all tasks that have a length of a given amount or less.
Proximo

Posted: Jul 29, 2009
@Anders,

It's not a big deal. I was just making sure it was working as intended. I try to use as many features of Toodledo as I can. The Scheduler is something that I just did not understand correctly and finally asked. :-)

Thanks.
Anders

The scheduler is a cool feature, but I am usually not sure about how long things will take, so I don't use the length field much. I am thinking of using the timer function to start timing tasks, so I can use that data to fill in the length field for similar tasks in the future.
Proximo

@Anders,

I always add an estimated length of time to all my task. This does not mean I will be right on everything, but it allows me to use a powerful concept of GTD.

When I look at my task, I decide what needs to become my Next Actions by:

1. Time = How much time do I have
2. Energy = How much energy do I currently have. (I use tags)
3. Context = What resources or locations am I currently in.

Not going into any more detail than this, because it will be a GTD post. :-) I will say that one of the most powerful concepts is "Energy" and many people don't use it.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.