ForumsQuestionsAndroid app out of sync with website

Android app out of sync with website
mark

Posted: Mar 23, 2018
Score: 3 Reference
Hi, I have the ToodleDo Android app on a Google Pixel 2. My tasks are frequently out of date with the website, which is quite frustrating.

How can I set the app and website to sync after any task is added or edited?

Thanks!
cj

Posted: Mar 24, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by mark:
Hi, I have the ToodleDo Android app on a Google Pixel 2. My tasks are frequently out of date with the website, which is quite frustrating.

How can I set the app and website to sync after any task is added or edited?

Thanks!

I've been meaning to post this forever....
Android is VERY unreliable with Synching ... (for a year or more) ...
very bothersome ... I simply stopped relying on it for accuracy.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 26, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
In Android, the Operating system is responsible for syncing in the background. This is done to conserve battery. In the Android settings, you can control how often it sync. The default is 2 hours, which should be suitable for most people who primarily use the device for their tasks, although you can make this shorter and you can manually sync inside the Toodledo app.
cj

Posted: Apr 10, 2018
No ... the problem exists even when I have the toodledo app open and manually click sync. (seems to happen more often when wifi is not turned on) - but I a not sure of the correlation. One thing is for sure: When I add a new task or modify tasks (actions that should result in automatically synching THAT task) - these don't synch at all until much much later (hours and hours later).
This behavior has been consistent for several years (by my memory) on multiple versions of the app, multiple OS updates AND more than one phone (Galaxy S6, S7 S8) ...
dyuhas

Posted: Apr 11, 2018
Just installed Toodledo on my new Android phone. It syncs 2 out of 11 tasks and quits. Looks like I'll have to give up on Toodledo.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 11, 2018
Can you please create a support ticket for this so that we can look into your account and see what the problem is?

Thanks
shelbyp

Posted: Apr 20, 2018
Score: 3 Reference
I can confirm, I have the same issue with android. The syncing is very unreliable.

As I almost always have access to internet, I have switched to the mobile app. Unless you don't have internet access the mobile app is pretty much the same compared to android. (Situation is different on IOS, I find that the app is more advanced than the mobile web site). I have used both since I recently switched to an Android, but I still have an IPad.
shelbyp

Posted: May 04, 2018
I am using the mobile website on Android (instead of the app), and unfortunately I am seeing sync issues regularly, but they hard to reproduce. I often find that I delete a task from the website and it is not replicated in the offline website on android. I have also seen the reverse. They continue to be out of sync even after I force a refresh on the android mobile website.

I have a few questions for the mobile website.

1. What is the sync behaviour when I add a task assuming internet is available as wifi or 4g. My expectation is that the task would be immediately available on my computer when I go to the website.

2. Same question for task delete.

3. Let's say I make some modifications while offline on the mobile website on android, then internet becomes available and I click refresh in Chrome in the mobile web site. What is the expected behaviour?

It would be nice to have a button "Force sync" on android which ensures that the 2 platforms are identical.

I actually have been using the mobile website on Android as readonly since I am too often seeing sync issues.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The Android app syncs in the background and the schedule is handled by the Android Operating system to preserve battery life. So, changes you make in the app are not immediately synced to the website. It could take 15 minutes or maybe longer if you have low batter and Android is trying to conserve.

If you are talking about our website, its a little different. Changes you make on the website (not the app) while online should sync within a few seconds. Changes you make while offline should sync the next time you open the mobile website on your phone when you are online again.
cj

Posted by Jake:
The Android app syncs in the background and the schedule is handled by the Android Operating system to preserve battery life. So, changes you make in the app are not immediately synced to the website. It could take 15 minutes or maybe longer if you have low batter and Android is trying to conserve.

If you are talking about our website, its a little different. Changes you make on the website (not the app) while online should sync within a few seconds. Changes you make while offline should sync the next time you open the mobile website on your phone when you are online again.

Sorry - but this just isn't the explanation....
Sometimes it simply never syncs.

======
Repeating my prior observation:
... the problem exists even when I have the toodledo app open and manually click sync. (seems to happen more often when wifi is not turned on) - but I a not sure of the correlation. One thing is for sure: When I add a new task or modify tasks (actions that should result in automatically synching THAT task) - these don't synch at all until much much later (hours and hours later).
This behavior has been consistent for several years (by my memory) on multiple versions of the app, multiple OS updates AND more than one phone (Galaxy S6, S7 S8) ..
shelbyp

Posted: May 05, 2018
I agree with cj and many others have reported sync issues. I am currently looking at a list in android in my context view of about 10 tasks (using the site tasks.toodledo.com not the app). I look at the same context in the online site on my computer and I have only 1. In addition as I indicated I have tried using the Chrome function to refresh the page and the result is the same.

There should only be 1 task in his context because I had ticked the others off as completed several days ago.

I am happy to use workarounds, but clearly both the android app and the offline website are hopelessly out of sync. I suspected the issue for some time, but it is not easy to confirm, since sometimes I think I had forgotten to tick of a task (perhaps alzeihmer's settling into my brain?), but clearly there is an issue here!!!

Please treat this as a Critical/Showstopper. Android is by far the most popular platform these days, and without a reliable sync Toodledo is basically unusable on Android mobile devices.

I am currently scared to use the offline site in readonly mode since it might overwrite the online stuff which is up to date!!!

I am a software developer and had similar issues, and would suggest considering the following (please feel to ignore of course...)

1. There may be issues between versions of your mobile site DB, does the end user have the version of the DB you are expecting??

2. In order to be 100% sure, add a button somewhere so that we can easily completely clear the offline state and fully refresh, accepting the online version as 100% truth (with a warning that offline info will be deleted).

3. Consider having a separate link for the mobile offline site (eg m.toodledo.com) at least for testing. I am actually always online since 4g coverage is excellent in my area. So it is actually unfortunate that it is even trying to use offline functionality. (perhaps an option to turn this off while the bugs are being sorted out).

4. Consider offering me a job at TD (well paid) as this is the second time I am helping solve sync issues, I basically identified and reproduced the first one directly with the developer (NOtes page background sync issue)... :)

In any case in its current state, offline sync seems more like Alpha/Beta code rather than production code, and we don't have an option on Android.

Hopefully this will be treated as extremely high priority! I am sure multiple users have seen these issues, and have not considered that there is a bug here. Also not users are active forum users and as cj mentioned the issue is hard to reproduce.

This message was edited May 05, 2018.
katemc89

Posted: May 06, 2018
New user having the same problem. Website does not sync with the Android app. I think I'm going to request a refund.
Is this yet another case of an app being created mostly for IOS?
shelbyp

Posted: May 07, 2018
if it helps you debug the issue please note that I have an ipad and I also can confirm that the offline website has the issue on ios (I use chrome there as well).

the case I am seeing the most is where I have ticked off tasks or deleted them.

Please provide some relief at least by providing an option to use the website version in online version only (not using local storage). That way for most of us that have 4g access or wifi all or most of the time we have a solution. of course offline issues should be fixed...

For many/ and perhaps most? people mobile/tablet access is the majority of use of TD, currently TD is unusable.

For some very quick partial relief, I cleared my cache settings on the browser and refreshed and then I see the same lists on my computer and mobile device. but this does not solve the sync issues.

I would prefer not to leave TD after 7years of use, but I basically no longer have a reliable task manager!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 07, 2018
Can you please create a support ticket for this so that we can look into your account and see what the problem is?

Thanks
shelbyp

Posted: May 16, 2018
I am a bit surprised that no feedback has been given on this critical issue (even after I file my support ticket...).

Anyway here is what I see:

I am using the mobile web app, which was not syncing correctly and was regularly hopelessly out of sync with the online website. on my Android platform in Chrome, I cleared the cache completely. The website has now been in sync even after task changes on both the website and the mobile platform. For the moment I have not been able to reproduce the issue.

this seems to suggest that it is linked to my comment above:

"
I am a software developer and had similar issues, and would suggest considering the following (please feel to ignore of course...)

1. There may be issues between versions of your mobile site DB, does the end user have the version of the DB you are expecting??
"

Clearing the cache completely deletes the local storage data.

It still remains to be confirmed that this is the issue, but for the moment syncing is working for me.

NOTE: I am referring only to the mobile website in Chrome. The Android app sync did not work for me and I have stopped using the app. the above workaround will not help for the app.
mark

Posted: Sep 11, 2018
Hi, I posted the original question and wanted to report that I'm still unfortunately seeing issues with sync on Android.

When I add or edit a task in the Android app, the change does not display in the desktop browser version, even after several hours.

If I swipe down in the Android app, the website does refresh, but that's a frustrating requirement for every time I make a change.

I can create a support ticket if that would help but I'm wondering if this is expected behavior?

I'm still a ToodleDo fan. Thanks for a solid product.

Mark
Lise46

Posted: Sep 17, 2018
Score: 2 Reference
I'm going to ditto Mark - my app does not sync.

Today's date is 9/16. I just did a manual sync. App still shows my daily tasks as due on Aug 28 and none of the items I have entered to the website since then. The website does not show anything I have added to my app.

Is addressing this a high priority? I need a to do that will travel with me.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Sep 17, 2018
I'm not experiencing any issues with sycing but I would try to reset the app by going to Settings -> Data -> Delete and Resync. If that doesn't help, I would clear cache + app data under Android Settings and if that doesn't help, I would reinstall the app from scratch.
lizzienapier

Posted: Feb 01, 2019
Posted by Lise46:
I'm going to ditto Mark - my app does not sync.

Today's date is 9/16. I just did a manual sync. App still shows my daily tasks as due on Aug 28 and none of the items I have entered to the website since then. The website does not show anything I have added to my app.

Is addressing this a high priority? I need a to do that will travel with me.

I have had sync issues sporadically but they just got significantly worse today. What happened??? Very frustrated!!
Kathleen Woo

Posted: Feb 28, 2019
Ugh. It is extremely unfortunate that this has been an issue for so long. I was a heavy user in '16 and '17, and had no problems with syncing on the Android app. So it definitely seems to be an issue introduced in early 2018.

The related issue I'm having now is that I can't seem to log in on the app. Every time it tries to sync, it asks me to log in. So. No syncing for me.

I already submitted a support ticket.

I reeeaaally don't want to have to find a different TODO app because ToodleDo does everything I need and I have it customized exactly to my use case. But, being able to use the app on my phone is 100% critical.

I don't know what mobile browser version that has been referred to in this thread. When I visit on a mobile browser I have the same experience as on a desktop... which is just unusable on a small screen finger controlled interface.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.