ForumsQuestionsWish: Untie alarms from due dates

Wish: Untie alarms from due dates
Brian Matlock_1343862228

Posted: Jun 11, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Long time user here. Happy with the product.

On my wish list for a long time: Alarms are not tied to the due date/time. Having the due date be the alarm time works fine for about 90% of my tasks. But it causes some real problems in specific instances.

The problem is acute when I have a recurring task, and I need to follow up on a particular instance of it. For instance, every two weeks on Tuesday an unreliable colleague is supposed to publish an update on a project, an update that is critical to me. I set a recurring task to remind me to check on that update. Inevitably, he's late with it. He gives me some reason and promises he'll have it by Wednesday at 10:00 AM. I would like to be able to set the alarm on that task for that time without affecting the alarms for all the other items in the series. Currently, I have to either change the due date from today to Wed 10:00 AM, which changes the due date on the whole series, then change the due date back, or I have to create a new task for that single instance. I typically choose the latter option, but that creates redundant tasks in my already lengthy task list (hundreds of items), and creates branching notes in my archive (because I take significant notes on tasks and save them in my archive)

It's not a crippling shortcoming, and I work around it. But I much prefer the system that (most?) other task managers use where the reminder might default to the due date, but the user can set a reminder for any date and time independent of the due date. If that were the case, I would simply set a reminder for the task on Wednesday 10:00 AM, then when (if) it's resolved, check the task completed. The next instance would remind to check at the scheduled due date.

I'm hoping this is on your development list.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 11, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.

Thanks
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.