ForumsQuestionsMy Due Date/Real due date

My Due Date/Real due date
taxes_1385259462

Posted: Jul 02, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
I'd like to suggest a new feature: real due date vs my due date. As an accountant I have a lot of due dates dictated by outside forces like the IRS. To manage my work flow and stay out of constant last-minute stress, I have internal dues, which can slip if needed. I would find it useful to have the "real" due date in a column separate from my internal due date. That way I can filter by things I want to have done by today versus things that MUST be done by today.

Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 03, 2018
Maybe try using the "start-date" column for your own internal due-date.
martingchapman

Posted: Jul 03, 2018
Your suggestion has merit, but would need some development by TD and also uses an extra column in the display.
Nothing wrong with that but it may take some time.

Here is an alternative approach which I have used for many years.

I have "Real" due dates, I call these "Deadlines" and "Internal" due dates which I call "Do/Postpone" dates.

To separate them I use Priorities.

Real (Deadline) due dates = Priority 1 (P1) - MUST be done by the due date.
Internal (Do/Postpone) due dates - Priority 2 (P2) - DO them by the due date or POSTPONE them to a later date

I then have a saved search that delivers all P1 and P2 tasks that are due, sorted by Due Date and ordered by Priority.

This shows my tasks separated by Due Date and in each section presents the P1 (Real) tasks first and P2 (Internal) tasks second.

This approach works now, no development needed and saves using an extra column

Or, you could have a saved search that only shows P1 tasks that are due and another saved search for P2 tasks.

Etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helps.
RMTrinity

Posted: Aug 03, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
My work around for this is to put the actual due date in the title of the task. For example, I will want a task done by Friday, and so that is my due date for the task, but at the end of the name of the task I will include the actual due date in parentheses to remind me.
Ummagumma

Posted: Aug 03, 2018
The best approach to this - IMHO - is to use the Start date.

For me, Start Date = Task trigger

Due Date = Task deadline. I don't assign due dates that are not deadlines. Most of my tasks have a start date but many don't have a due date.

I have filters set up to hide all tasks that didn't hit the Start date yet.

If I decide to work on it now / today / next, I either star it or add Priority. The tasks that I plan on working today are starred - never more than 3-5. The tasks to work on next are Priority 1 - again, trying to keep it no more than 4-6. Typically most of my tasks are hidden anyway because their start time hasn't come yet.

So, say I have to file taxes by April 15th. Since I am not an accountant, it would take me a couple of days to find all the paperwork, fill in forms etc. Taking into account all the other stuff that needs to be done, and wanting to get it done early, I will set Start date to, say, March 23 and due date to April 15th. The task will be hidden and out of sight until March 23. On that day, I will have to do something about it - either assign it a new Start date and hide it again, or make it starred (i.e. start working on it today), or make it P1 (i.e. line it up to start working on it in the nearest future).

All of this can be set up in Toodledo.

This message was edited Aug 03, 2018.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.