ForumsQuestionsToodledo isn't properly utilizing it's strongest feature...

Toodledo isn't properly utilizing it's strongest feature...
Ummagumma

Posted: Sep 20, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
There's many things that I like (and dislike) about the service, but #1 feature that is missing in most competing services is the support for Start Date.

Start Date + Due Date based task tracking is far superior to only having a Due date.

Yet, Toodledo makes it really - and unnecessarily - hard to use the Start Date.

Can I set the Hotlist to show tasks past their Start Date ? Nope.

Can I hide tasks whose Start date is later this week ? Nope. Only a whole month ahead... which isn't as useful.

The only way I know of to fully utilize the Start Date is via custom searches - which require a somewhat steep learning curve with much trial and error to set up.

This has got to be very discouraging to new users who are trying TD for the first time.

A very simple function that should have been built into the service from very beginning is the ability to hide tasks with future start dates in any view (and not arbitrarily limit this feature to one month from today) and the ability to show in-process tasks in the Hotlist.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2018.
CharleneTX

Posted: Sep 26, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're trying to do. I use Start Date as part of Michael Linenberger's MYN management strategy.

I have Start Date in all my sorts (the field is hidden unless you sort on it) and I don't use the Due Date field. I use the All Tasks and Context views; I don't use Hotlist, so I can't speak about that one. I've selected the filter to hide future tasks. I don't see any tasks whose start date is later than today and I don't need to use custom searches.
Ummagumma

Posted by CharleneTX:
I've selected the filter to hide future tasks. I don't see any tasks whose start date is later than today and I don't need to use custom searches.

This was my mistake... the "Hide future tasks" setting (that can only be set to 1 month ahead or later) only applies to Due dates, not Start Dates. Tasks with Start Date after today are automatically hidden when this filter is on. My bad.

I don't use Hotlist, so I can't speak about that one.

I haven't used Toodledo mobile app in a very long time, due to many limitations vs some 3rd party apps. I tried to use it recently so that I could get a consistent workflow between web service and mobile. The Hotlist (which is used for the iOS Widget and can be set as a start view) can't be set up based on task start date - i.e. I can't have a start without a due and have it show up in the Hotlist.

I use Start Date as part of Michael Linenberger's MYN management strategy.

Interesting, never heard of it. I used Start Date without Due Date since I've been tracking my tasks in a spreadsheet...
J.O.D.

I am also using start date without due date in some cases, so that I can view tasks in progress without deadlines on my save search view for today. I could use e. g. start for that, but as my Today view is sorted by Importance, not only a starred task stands out visually, but also increases importance, both of which are effects I don't want. Alternatively, for tasks without any date or just to move the task to Today view, I am rather using Next Action status, which does not touch importance.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2018.
Ummagumma

I prefer to not assign a Due date unless there is a real deadline.

Most of my work-related tasks take long time to complete, and some have hard deadlines. Start date vs Due date is an important distinction (which most other task manager systems don't make).

Stars are for the tasks that I will work on today. Top priority is for the tasks to work on next.

I'd love to be able to better utilize Toodledo specific functions like status etc. but I can't until they come up with a better mobile client. Until then, I am tied to 2Do.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.