ForumsQuestionsMonthly repeating task set in the 31day skips 30day months

Monthly repeating task set in the 31day skips 30day months
hekuros

Posted: Nov 13, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
I think this is an erroneous behavior; or perhaps there is a reason for this to be?
For example: If I set a date by august 31 as a monthly repeating tasks it creates the next one on october 31, skipping september because it only has 30 days. It doesn't matter if the date is a start date or due date, the behavior is the same.
J. O. D.

As repeat on last day of month is a planned feature, that means your issue is actually feature...

Posted by hekuros:
I think this is an erroneous behavior; or perhaps there is a reason for this to be?
For example: If I set a date by august 31 as a monthly repeating tasks it creates the next one on october 31, skipping september because it only has 30 days. It doesn't matter if the date is a start date or due date, the behavior is the same.
Mike Thomas

Is that new behavior (skipping a shorter month)? The last time I paid attention to this behavior around "last day of the month", I *thought* the task (if repeating from due date) would move to the last day of the next month (9/30 in the OP's example), and then remain on the 30th (e.g. 10/30) until I manually fixed it.

And worst case it would get stuck on the 28th after February, until manually changed.

But maybe I am remembering wrong.
J. O. D.

Posted by Mike Thomas:
Is that new behavior (skipping a shorter month)? The last time I paid attention to this behavior around "last day of the month", I *thought* the task (if repeating from due date) would move to the last day of the next month (9/30 in the OP's example), and then remain on the 30th (e.g. 10/30) until I manually fixed it.

And worst case it would get stuck on the 28th after February, until manually changed.

But maybe I am remembering wrong.

Actually, I don't know, I did never used such a date myself. Was just wild guessing.
Mike Thomas

OK, I tried it out. The OP is right - something due on 3/31 with a monthly repeat from due date ends up on 5/31 (because there is no 4/31). I wonder how long that's been the case? (or maybe I never noticed).
Purveyor

From the Help topic How do repeating tasks work?
Monthly: It will repeat on the same day of the month (eg., every 16th). It is important to note that if you repeat a monthly task on the 30th or 31st, it will skip over months that do not have that date. For example, a monthly task due on Jan 31 will skip to March 31st because there is no Feb 31st. If you need to repeat a task at the end of the month, we recommend having it due on the 1st of the following month with a 1 day reminder or start-date.
What's missing is the ability to specify a task that repeats on the "last day of the month".

And, since Jake is no longer here:
"Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list."
:-D

This message was edited Nov 13, 2018.
J. O. D.

It is actually In Progress feature:-)

Posted by Purveyor:
From the Help topic How do repeating tasks work?
Monthly: It will repeat on the same day of the month (eg., every 16th). It is important to note that if you repeat a monthly task on the 30th or 31st, it will skip over months that do not have that date. For example, a monthly task due on Jan 31 will skip to March 31st because there is no Feb 31st. If you need to repeat a task at the end of the month, we recommend having it due on the 1st of the following month with a 1 day reminder or start-date.
What's missing is the ability to specify a task that repeats on the "last day of the month".

And, since Jake is no longer here:

"Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list."

:-D
Purveyor

It has been on the list since at least April 2009:
Repeat on last day of month

FWIW, Todoist and RTM have the option.
J. O. D.

Posted: Nov 14, 2018
There were tons of features on the todo list. In Progress means, as I understand the road map, being developed and scheduled in next three months, Planned for the next three. Of course, result will make the difference, but I am a believer, as are almost no people active on these forums nowadays. Nothing against them, I accept their opion, just do not share it.
Purveyor

It's good that this feature request is on the "In Progress" list and it's reasonable to assume that the feature will be implemented soon.
The Road Map is much better than Jake's refusal to make any items on his list visible to users. Not only does the Road Map provide a list of suggestions and the status, it will also provide a timeline so that it will be more obvious when there are old, unimplemented requests.

But, so far, the only change that has actually been implemented is the increase in pricing.

We'll see what happens in the next few months.
J. O. D.

Of course, only time will tell. As I have a tested exit strategy, I am OK with that. For now.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.