ForumsQuestionsViewing files on the iPhone

Viewing files on the iPhone
gregmay82

Posted: Aug 06, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I found a couple of references to iPhone file support from back in December 2008. They weren't quite clear, and the topics were closed, so I am starting a new thread on this to get some clarification before I plop down the big bucks (OK, not so big bucks) for the iPhone app and Pro Plus Account . . .

Toodledo posted this in a forum on Dec 1, 2008

"The iPhone has very limited support for files. Currently, I think they only support Microsoft Office files, text files and images. We hope to incorporate support for these files in a future update."

and posted this in a forum on Dec 22, 2008:

"Also, our iPhone app doesn't yet support files, but we hope to add this in the future."

Taking the second comment first, does this mean I can't access those files from my iPhone at all, even if they are in a format my iPhone can read?

Or, as implied by Toodledo's Dec 1 comment, is the rule basically that I will be able to read on my iPhone any files I have uploaded to my Toodledo account so long as the file format is supported by iPhone? Toodledo's Dec 22 comment understated the file formats that iPhone supports. For example, I can read PDFs attached to my emails just fine on my iPhone, so I assume I would be able to read my Toodledo-stored PDFs just fine, too, as long as the iPhone app links to them.

Does it?
Anders

I think the first post was simply referring to the filetypes the iPhone can display by default (and you are correct that that list has grown quite a bit since), and it was not related to the Toodledo iPhone app's capability. The Toodledo app still does not support task file attachments at all. Hopefully it will come in a future update.

This message was edited Aug 06, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
When our iPhone app does support file attachments, it will support all the file types that are natively supported by the iPhone, whatever that might be at that time. It is on our to-do list, but we are focusing right now on making the basic experience more stable and polished.
gregsemailcrap

Thanks to both Anders and Toodledo for getting to this so quickly.

Sorry to be dense, but I want to make sure I understand you correctly. If the iPhone App doesn't support file attachments "at all", then I take it that

(1) when creating a task on the iPhone, you cannot attach a file, even if it is already uploaded

(2) files already attached to tasks that were created through the web interface do not show as attached to the same task when viewed on the iPhone, or at least can't be downloaded and viewed.

Have I got that right?
Anders

Both 1 & 2 are correct. The only ways to work with files are on the main site or adding them through email.
benmorris

Posted: Oct 04, 2009
I also VERY interested in being about to access my attachments attached to Tasks through my Toodledo iPhone app.

Hopefully, in version 1.6 ? Submitting to App Store yet ?
robj

Posted: Nov 18, 2009
Another request would be for the ability to at least e-mail out attached files. I use Toodledo at work but have no access to the files unfortunately so that file attachment feature is not as useful. I rather keep the files on Evernote as I'm able to email out using the iPhone.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 18, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
Glen Eyrie Tech

Posted: Apr 23, 2010
Any news on the attached file capabilities for the iphone App?

We'd sure like that functionality!!

thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 27, 2010
This is on our to-do list, but it is our policy to not comment on our roadmap or delivery dates for future feature improvements.
markjamesdavies

Posted: Jul 30, 2010
Hi folks

Just to say that I also would value being able to view attachments on the iPhone app.

Toodledo: I think that, in the meantime, the iPhone app should at least be updated to indicate whether or not attachments exist on a task. This should be a trivial 'agile' feature to develop - just a simple read only flag.

All the best
Mark
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.