ForumsQuestionsDate/Time Stamp on Export Files - Requested 4/14, 5/15 & 3/19

Date/Time Stamp on Export Files - Requested 4/14, 5/15 & 3/19
mlb32704

Posted: Mar 08, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
NOTE - this is the third request for this enhancement. I made the original request in April 2014, then again in May 2015, and now with the new management in place, I'm hoping to finally get a positive response. The old topic was locked for discussion, nobody seems to have any interest in this functionality but me, but I keep asking. Is there any chance that this will ever get done?

-- The backup utility assigns a unique numerical code to each backup, so I don't have to manually change the file name each time I save it to the same backup location on my hard drive.

-- The export utilities for completed and uncompleted tasks, as well as notebook exports, do not assign any sort of unique identifier, so I have to manually insert the date at the end of the file each and every time (i.e. "toodle-current4114.csv").

-- Any thoughts to assigning some sort of identifier, preferably the date, to these three export files?

-- Yes, I save all three export files as well as the backup .xml file each week. I recognize that the .xml file includes everything, but in a pinch, I can load up .csv files in Excel for any missing tasks, old notebooks, etc.

Please advise, thanks.
Anant G.

Posted: Mar 08, 2019
Posted by mlb32704:
NOTE - this is the third request for this enhancement. I made the original request in April 2014, then again in May 2015, and now with the new management in place, I'm hoping to finally get a positive response. The old topic was locked for discussion, nobody seems to have any interest in this functionality but me, but I keep asking. Is there any chance that this will ever get done?

-- The backup utility assigns a unique numerical code to each backup, so I don't have to manually change the file name each time I save it to the same backup location on my hard drive.

-- The export utilities for completed and uncompleted tasks, as well as notebook exports, do not assign any sort of unique identifier, so I have to manually insert the date at the end of the file each and every time (i.e. "toodle-current4114.csv").

-- Any thoughts to assigning some sort of identifier, preferably the date, to these three export files?

-- Yes, I save all three export files as well as the backup .xml file each week. I recognize that the .xml file includes everything, but in a pinch, I can load up .csv files in Excel for any missing tasks, old notebooks, etc.

Please advise, thanks.

It's taken care of now and pushed to production :)
Clare_3

Posted: Mar 10, 2019
For the record, this broke my Toodledo backup process, which uses a version-control system to save the latest versions of files downloaded from Toodledo.

Because two of the filenames are now different each day, I had to change the script to remove the now-added date from the files that used to be called toodledo_completed.csv and toodledo_current.csv.

https://twitter.com/ClareMacraeUK/status/1104137042420744193

Bit disappointed not to have had the courtesy of a reply to my Tweet.
Anant G.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019
Posted by Clare_3:
For the record, this broke my Toodledo backup process, which uses a version-control system to save the latest versions of files downloaded from Toodledo.

Because two of the filenames are now different each day, I had to change the script to remove the now-added date from the files that used to be called toodledo_completed.csv and toodledo_current.csv.

https://twitter.com/ClareMacraeUK/status/1104137042420744193

Bit disappointed not to have had the courtesy of a reply to my Tweet.

Sorry, we missed that. We have no open APIs for taking backups of the account and so don't think we need to announce that to our users. Hope you understand and sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Clare_3

Posted: Mar 11, 2019
Understood, and thank you for the reply!
mlb32704

Posted: Mar 14, 2019
Wow, that's great news on being pushed to production. Thanks for the update. Do you have an estimated time frame as to when this will be a deliverable? I'm assuming that this will be an enhancement that is available in the free product, please let me know if that is not the case. Thanks.
mlb32704

Please scratch my last post - I can see that this change has already been made in production. It would have been more productive for my personal purposes as a simple date stamp at the end of the file name (i.e. completed.csv 31419) but I've waited SO long for this enhancement, I'm definitely fine with the simple random numeric identifier. Thanks for finally listening to me :)
mlb32704

OK, I just rechecked...the identifier is in fact, the date. Well, it's sort of the date.

Today's completed, current, notebook csv exports are stamped with "190314" at the end of the file names. I'm guessing that somewhere that is a format that makes sense as a date, but not in the US. Is it possible to rearrange those digits so that they provide the "correct" or more popular date format of "031419" instead?

Please.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.