ForumsQuestionsAre others seeing this? Repeated "Sync failed errors" these days

Are others seeing this? Repeated "Sync failed errors" these days
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Mar 18, 2019
Score: 1 Reference
Hi,

For the past few weeks, I've been getting pretty regular errors which say "Could not sync tasks due". Then tonight I got a new message which said "Error - could not sync folders".

Are others seeing this too?

I'd never seen these errors before the last few weeks and have been on toodledo for going on 3 years now.

Boy, I don't know, and maybe it's seeing things thru rose colored glasses but I don't seem to recall stability/downtime issues back in the Jake days. These days it seems like there's things going on every month or so or more, one after the other.
marius.eggerud_2

Yes, I ahve the same issue.
Anant G.

Score: 0 Reference
Posted by rubenB:
Hi,

For the past few weeks, I've been getting pretty regular errors which say "Could not sync tasks due". Then tonight I got a new message which said "Error - could not sync folders".

Are others seeing this too?

I'd never seen these errors before the last few weeks and have been on toodledo for going on 3 years now.

Boy, I don't know, and maybe it's seeing things thru rose colored glasses but I don't seem to recall stability/downtime issues back in the Jake days. These days it seems like there's things going on every month or so or more, one after the other.

Hi, this is happening on the website or mobile app? Can you create a support ticket for the same so that we can debug.

Thanks
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Mar 19, 2019
Hi Anand,

It's mainly on the website (Windows 7 PC latest patch level, Firefox 65.0.2). Also run on iphone app, IOS 12 latest patch level - have seen a couple random error mesgs pop up there too but didn't pay much attention. Will try to capture the specifics of the mesg(s) more closely next few times I see them.

Yes, I can create a ticket but I have no debug info to include other than the issue that I see (random little popup that shows up momentarily in the bottom right of my screen). Is the website instrumented in any way for me to include something more useful that nothing for you to go on? Is there anything more you'd like me to include in the support ticket?

I also have no good way to determine if there is data missing or not or what failed that I can point you to to use for debugging this.
Anant G.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019
Posted by rubenB:
Hi Anand,

It's mainly on the website (Windows 7 PC latest patch level, Firefox 65.0.2). Also run on iphone app, IOS 12 latest patch level - have seen a couple random error mesgs pop up there too but didn't pay much attention. Will try to capture the specifics of the mesg(s) more closely next few times I see them.

Yes, I can create a ticket but I have no debug info to include other than the issue that I see (random little popup that shows up momentarily in the bottom right of my screen). Is the website instrumented in any way for me to include something more useful that nothing for you to go on? Is there anything more you'd like me to include in the support ticket?

I also have no good way to determine if there is data missing or not or what failed that I can point you to to use for debugging this.

Hi,
In iOS app we have an option to send sync logs to ticket. That helps us in debugging sync issues from the iOS app. For website, all these errors are logged in error log files. We just need the userid to debug what went wrong from them and we can look up.

Thanks
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Mar 20, 2019
Ok, thanks. I'll log it the next time I see it.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Mar 21, 2019
Hi Anand,

This happened again just now.

I went to open a support ticket for this as you'd requested, but it says that I can't because I already opened a ticket today.

That was presumably in reference to the ticket I opened last night about the bug where task/note mouse manipulation does not work and only opens the batch edit menu. Someone at toodle had asked a question to me about my situation and I answered it with a new comment which, I guess, re-opened the closed support ticket.

Below is the other issue that I'm referencing
https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26869/0/bug-openclose-task-notes-doesnt-work-opens-batch-edit-menu .html

This message was edited Mar 21, 2019.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

The error dialog that pops up says

"Failed to fetch overdue tasks"

It's possible that there was a hiccup in my local LAN but presumably toodle initiates a couple retries before throwing that error?
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted by rubenB:
The error dialog that pops up says

"Failed to fetch overdue tasks"

It's possible that there was a hiccup in my local LAN but presumably toodle initiates a couple retries before throwing that error?

Ok, I just got the error again on a completely different LAN so not tied exclusively to that other LAN that sometimes hiccups, as my previous post might have implied.
adriank

I've also been seeing the "Failed to fetch overdue tasks" message a lot recently on Windows 10 machine using Chrome browser.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Mar 31, 2019
Just got a new one:

"Network Error Syncing Contexts"

Assuming these are temporary errors and sync will retry and succeed, it'd be nice if the error messages could be suppressed.
apois

Posted: Apr 01, 2019
I am also often seeing "Failed to fetch overdue tasks". (Windows 10, Firefox).

My desktop PC is often in sleep mode, so it may be something to do with trying to fetch on wake, before the network connection has been fully re-established? A simple re-try after a few second may resolve this instead of reporting as an error?
Anant G.

Posted by rubenB:
Just got a new one:

"Network Error Syncing Contexts"

Assuming these are temporary errors and sync will retry and succeed, it'd be nice if the error messages could be suppressed.

Posted by apois:
I am also often seeing "Failed to fetch overdue tasks". (Windows 10, Firefox).

My desktop PC is often in sleep mode, so it may be something to do with trying to fetch on wake, before the network connection has been fully re-established? A simple re-try after a few second may resolve this instead of reporting as an error?

These toast message error shows up after 3 failed tries within 3seconds. It is necessary because if user is marking a task complete and there is some issue with the network we have to show the error to the user immediately. That's why there is a very small time-frame in retries.

Thanks
Ob-La-Di+ruben

By the way, to others, Anant had asked me to file a support ticket so this could be looked into in the logs. I filed the ticket and it was quickly closed after being checked and I told that there was a network issue.

I assume that these are temporary failures that subsequently go away with retry. It'd be nice to either suppress the error mesg (if situation is temporary) or give us some more information on how to rectify. As is, it's kind of a useless error message, imo. (e.g. "Network error syncing Contexts" -- I don't even use contexts)

If the error is going to be thrown, then we should have some idea of what to do about it rather than just being "noise."

-----Adding
Thanks. Anant, we posted simultaneously.

This message was edited Apr 01, 2019.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Another new one just now - "Network Errors Sync'ing Folders"

- Hi Anant,

if user is marking a task complete and there is some issue with the network we have to show the error to the user immediately.

What is the ramification of not showing the error and the sync having failed? The task would not be correctly marked as completed? Some sort of backend data corruption?

If it's just the former, I'd rather live with that and retry marking the task completed than the very regular errors that I keep seeing, and have no idea next steps to address.

Been on toodledo for doing on 3 yrs now, I believe (same iOS/PC envs the whole time). Can you clarify if something has changed in the implementation to bring this to the fore? To my knowledge, I never used to see these errors prior to the new team taking over Toodle.

Thanks.

This message was edited Apr 01, 2019.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.