ForumsQuestionsBug - Open/Close Task Notes doesn't work & opens Batch Edit menu

Bug - Open/Close Task Notes doesn't work & opens Batch Edit menu
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Mar 21, 2019
Score: 2 Reference
Is anyone else seeing this?

It's a new quirky incorrect behavior.

When working on a note in a task tonight, at times, clicking on the <Note> icon no longer works to expand/collapse the Task Note and just causes the Batch Edit sidebar menu to appear. Likewise, if the Note is expanded & I try to click on the Note to go into edit/writeable mode, the Batch Edit menu also appears. There is no way to go into edit mode or to get the Note to collapse and go away at this point. Only the Batch Edit Sidebar menu keeps coming and going.

This was happening in the web application (tasks.toodledo.com) on Windows 10 with latest Firefox browser. I switched to a Windows 7 PC and thought the problem had disappeared but now it's happening there too.

Reloading the page makes the problem go away. It appears that if I use Firefox Search to search for string in a Note, that causes this bug to appear. The only way to resume normal work is to reload toodledo.

I'm going to file a support ticket on this now.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Score: 1 Reference
Support ticket 72725 filed for this issue.

Why is toodle so unstable and behavior keeps changing on the fly?

Are product changes being rolled out into production on an ongoing basis willy nilly? Aren't these changes being held in a testbed for testing before being rolled out in an announced upgrade?

It's starting to feel like I'm in an Agile daily scrum development environment with changes coming and going right and left.
Anant G.

Posted by rubenB:
Support ticket 72725 filed for this issue.

Why is toodle so unstable and behavior keeps changing on the fly?

Are product changes being rolled out into production on an ongoing basis willy nilly? Aren't these changes being held in a testbed for testing before being rolled out in an announced upgrade?

It's starting to feel like I'm in an Agile daily scrum development environment with changes coming and going right and left.

We do have a small test group to test all the features and after getting approval from everyone, we roll that out in the production.
Yes announcement is pending for that feature which we have scheduled for tomorrow.

From now on, we will also send out emails to all our beta users when we push something to beta for testing and then release an update in production.

Thanks
frenil75

Score: 0 Reference
This one seems to work again.
Thank you!
Linden

Still broken for me.

Correction: my issue is slightly different. I try to open a parent task with sub-tasks, most of the time I get the batch dialog. Sometimes I don't though.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2019.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Hi Linden,

I tried expending and collapsing parent tasks with subtasks and don't see that. Of course, since my problem was somewhat intermittent, that doesn't really mean much. Hope yours stabilizes soon.

I sure don't get what is going on and how this site is being run these days.
Linden

The Batch Edit menu is popping up when I try to expand any task now, not just those with sub-tasks.

I tried to switch to the new UI and it complains that I have more than 20k tasks (which the old UI doesn't report) so nothing new can be added. I have auto-delete of tasks enabled so I'm unsure if the 20k task report is accurate.
Linden

Hi rubenB,

I sure don't get what is going on and how this site is being run these days.

There have been some pretty aggravating bugs escaping beta test lately. This one definitely has a significant impact on my productivity. I've opened two tickets (Batch Edit and New UI). Will update when something changes or I have more info.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2019.
Gummiblume

Score: 3 Reference
I get the Batch Edit Menu after I completed a task and edit the note of another task.

I too have the impression that the stability is degrading. And it's very annoying...
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Thanks for the data points, Linden and Gumminblume.

Regarding stability and just knowing what's going on,

One of the ancillary things that I find really aggravating is that in addition to what seems to be increased instability and issues cropping up,

I keep asking if we can get an update or an "all clear" when an issue is thought to be resolved" but don't get anything and never really know.

That way I don't feel like I'm fumbling along and perhaps something has been resolved because it doesn't seem to appear just at the moment but no way to know for sure. I've asked about this multiple times both here in the forums and on twitter and have gotten some responses that that is coming and a good idea...

Even for this issue, my specific case seems to have gone away and between the fact that my support ticket was closed (with no comment) and Anand's sort of non sequitur response above posted last night, I'm left to presume that the issue is thought to be resolved??? @#%^&*$#^ ??

Or a status page which we can reference or others mention status.io, etc.
creinhard

I was also having the error - Batch Edit window opening also, I logged out and logged back in, it seems to be back to normal .. I think ..

Chris
Anant G.

We and our beta testers are still trying to replicate this issue on our end. Just wanted to make sure that you guys are batch edit menu just by using mouse clicks and not having ctrl/cmd key pressed on the keyboard ?

Thanks
Ob-La-Di+ruben

No ctrl key from my end anywhere near my mouse click when I was having the problem. (Can't speak for the others).

But, I also haven't seen the error since yesterday.
alswl

The Batch Edit menu is popping up when I use Ctrl+F for searching in Chrome. And I cannot close it.
Ugly frontend engineer team.
Linden

I'm not using any keys. Only press expand task and task sub-tasks buttons. And the batch edit is still happening.

Note: things have gotten worse. I can no longer mark tasks as complete with the old UI and the new UI gripes about the 20k outstanding tasks so I'm ground to a halt right now.
Linden

Posted: Mar 22, 2019
FWIW, I've discovered that those single tasks that bring up the batch screen can't be marked as complete.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted by alswl:
The Batch Edit menu is popping up when I use Ctrl+F for searching in Chrome. And I cannot close it.
Ugly frontend engineer team.

Wednesday night, when I was first encountering this problem, I also was doing Ctrl+F searches in Firefox. After that any mouse click on the task/note would only bring up the Batch Edit menu.

Mentioned this before & in support ticket but just adding again here too. No control key used with mouse clicks.

Reloading the page seemed to make the problem go away, for me. Did not see the problem anymore on Thursday, the next day.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2019.
Linden

Got notified on my ticket that a fix was available for testing on the beta site and I confirmed the fix.

The fix has been pushed to the production site and the problem resolved for me there also. I have to say rubenB that they were very transparent and communicative in the ticket and handled communication well.
SyneRyder

For what it's worth, I've also just seen this on the new Tasks beta. I'm using Firefox & Windows 10. Refreshing the page and checking that I'm not accidentally pressing Ctrl seems to have fixed it for now, but I'll admit my first thought was "ahh, the new team has broken Toodledo again".

Incidentally, before this started happening today, I noticed that the new beta Tasks interface was suddenly feeling noticeably sluggish, enough that I switched back to the old interface for the afternoon just so I could edit tasks at a decent speed. I definitely prefer the new interface, but sometimes bugs like this & the recent outages make me wish there was a native, non-Electron desktop Toodledo client. Something that doesn't hog CPU cycles & 2GB RAM like my web browser does, I don't always need a browser open to do my work. And a desktop client would be really useful when I'm on a 5 hour flight with no internet. I'm really starting to miss the days of OmniFocus & Things.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted by Linden:

The fix has been pushed to the production site and the problem resolved for me there also. I have to say rubenB that they were very transparent and communicative in the ticket and handled communication well.

That's great news, Linden! Hopefully this issue has stabilized across the board.

My point regarding communication was an ongoing request for some widespread form of notice of where things stand that many of us can refer to, also without having to ask and ferret around (which is just a waste of everyone's time & creates lots of useless noise). With the mid-Feb database problems that drew on all afternoon/night, I'd really hope that we could get more than occasional "should be done in 1 hr" tweets with no followup. Left me, at least, very confused when the system was truly up and stable when nothing more was said after, there was no "all clear" notice was put out, etc. It seems that an effort is being made to say communicate something (which is great and laudable), but the important closure message at the end is left out. This was doubly confusing because getting back online was fitful and several times toodle seemed to be back up and running and then keeled over again. How are we to know when a final resolution is in effect?

It's great that big efforts seem to be getting made to do major upgrades and improvements to toodle. I am just left scratching my head a bit wondering what sort of process and regression testing suite is in place to ensure that existing product functionality is not broken as new updates are rolled out. Call me a luddite but the product as it stood wasn't the prettiest but it worked for me and a priority for me is to have it remain stable and so I can just go about my daily business. Lately it seems repeated instabilities keep popping up to derail me.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2019.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.