ForumsQuestionsNew task: "Security Notice. Someone has access to your system."

New task: "Security Notice. Someone has access to your system."
joel_moreland

Posted: Sep 02, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
Hi, anybody else get this new task asking for money? I have had nothing similar in my Yahoo, Gmail, Google Keep and Wunderlist so I suspect this is a Toodledo issue. Any thoughts? cheers Joel
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Score: 1 Reference
Hi Joel -

You're saying a new toodledo task popped up in your task list with the title "Security Notice. Someone has access to your system" ?

I certainly haven't had anything like that happen on my end, so it's not something forcing its way in ubiquitously from the toodledo environments being compromised, if that's what you were wondering.
Larry3

I had something similar happen some time ago only I noticed it in Toodledo web browser. I suddenly started getting spam in a list. I think I finally figured out it was a program I'd downloaded on my Windows computer that somehow started adding the spam. I uninstalled, ran Malwrebytes and my anti-virus and haven't had a problem since thing. Malwarebytes and my AV didn't report anything.

Did you install something lately?
mjbernstein

Posted: Sep 04, 2019
What is terrifying is there is no response from management and likely no one to really assess a security attack

Hello--team??
joel_moreland

Posted: Sep 05, 2019
Posted by Larry3:
I had something similar happen some time ago only I noticed it in Toodledo web browser. I suddenly started getting spam in a list. I think I finally figured out it was a program I'd downloaded on my Windows computer that somehow started adding the spam. I uninstalled, ran Malwrebytes and my anti-virus and haven't had a problem since thing. Malwarebytes and my AV didn't report anything.

Did you install something lately?

Hi, nothing installed since April apart from normal Microsoft, Chrome, Spotify, type updates. Malwrebytes didn't find anything and had already run anti-virus software with no results. Laptop has been feeling slower (although performance monitor indicates no issues) and mouse clicks not as reliable (went back to wired mouse to see if that was an issue). cheers Joel
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Sep 05, 2019
Posted by mjbernstein:
What is terrifying is there is no response from management and likely no one to really assess a security attack

Hello--team??

Months ago, there were a couple instances where a random spurious task showed up in my task list. The task title was semi-gibberish.

I'm about 98% certain that there's no way that I could have accidentally entered and created those tasks. I was going to raise the issue but never bothered and chalked it up to some annoying (and concerning) system glitch that spewed out some noise. Went a away and have never seen since.

I just throw this out there because it seems highly improbable (to novice me) that there was a security attack. Of course, it would be nice if Toodle continued to be responsive here in the forums. However, we know that the operation is operating on a shoestring right now and Anant, no doubt, is utterly snowed under. Thankfully he did post in News recently that the official line is no intent to throw in the towel, at present.

For now, I'm just happy that the system stays up and no updates are rolled out that introduce any blocking bugs for me. Cheap lifetime subscriptions being offered on stacksocial et al seem to be a short-term money-grab and raise seemingly ("I'm an idiot for ignoring the writing on the wall not getting outta here) serious concerns, but for now I'll just ride this out and see where it goes.

Hopefully people with serious issues are still getting some response when filing support tickets. Haven't made it out to Crow Canyon yet (turns out it's a bit more off the beaten track for me that it would have been a couple months ago).

This is certainly an interesting (and saddening) ride to watch unfold . Would be most curious if anyone got a hold of Jake and his thoughts.

Ok, well, I think I've overloaded this with enough different, unconnected topics in a single post already for now...

This message was edited Sep 05, 2019.
akorvemaker

Posted: Sep 09, 2019
How was the task added? On the web version of Toodledo, if I click the little action drop-down for the task, it tells me how the task was added (e.g. website, email, etc.). Like this:
https://user.fm/files/v2-f965d30d2e0b13a7d0d97e97fafa9735/toodledo.png

My first guess is that it may have been added by email, which means that someone has (or randomly guessed) the address for emailing things to your task list. This address is controlled in the Email Access section of the Tools page (in your Account menu in the upper right).

That's one possibility.

Andy
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Sep 09, 2019
Good point, Andy. I'll have to check next time.

I didn't use email to add tasks so when this was mentioned earlier, I discounted it as a possibility for how my garbage tasks were added. Had occurred to me that someone might have stumbled onto the sequence to add them themselves.

Only happened a handful of times all around the same time period ages ago (maybe 6 months to a year ago, possibly before Jake left).

Joel - Maybe you can check too and update on how your task was added?

This message was edited Sep 09, 2019.
joel_moreland

Posted: Dec 05, 2019
Posted by akorvemaker:
How was the task added? On the web version of Toodledo, if I click the little action drop-down for the task, it tells me how the task was added (e.g. website, email, etc.). Like this:
https://user.fm/files/v2-f965d30d2e0b13a7d0d97e97fafa9735/toodledo.png

My first guess is that it may have been added by email, which means that someone has (or randomly guessed) the address for emailing things to your task list. This address is controlled in the Email Access section of the Tools page (in your Account menu in the upper right).

That's one possibility.

Andy
Sorry didn't get notified you'd responded. I'll check next time it happens (annoyingly deleted one today - first I'd had since the summer).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.