ForumsQuestions"add a new sub-task" doesn't use defined defaults

"add a new sub-task" doesn't use defined defaults
IceHeartX

Posted: Sep 11, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have my defaults set to turn the on the star (so i know it's new) and add "added on toodledo" so I can easily differentiate which input method I use to enter a particular task in my inbox.

when I add a new subtask (clicking the add subtask button on my task list) I get a single input box asking for the name of the new task.

the new task doesn't have the star or the tag, and I've lost the ability to effectively see new tasks as any children i create won't have the indicators that I use to determine if a task is new.
Anders

The new task defaults only apply to tasks added by using the "Add A Task" button or the keyboard shortcut. I have seen this requested before, but at least one problem is that there are even more people who want subtasks to inherit additional fields from their parent. Obviously those two methods would conflict, but maybe Toodledo will be able to work something out.
IceHeartX

Posted by Anders:
The new task defaults only apply to tasks added by using the "Add A Task" button or the keyboard shortcut. I have seen this requested before, but at least one problem is that there are even more people who want subtasks to inherit additional fields from their parent. Obviously those two methods would conflict, but maybe Toodledo will be able to work something out.

Yep, and as a workaround I just have a search for children that don't have a context or tag so that I can quickly go multi-edit them and put a star on so they'll show in my "inbox" - but it's still an extra step until I automate it.
Anders

You could also create the tasks as normal tasks, and then drag them under the parent. That is another step as well, but I thought I'd mention it.
IceHeartX

Posted by Anders:
You could also create the tasks as normal tasks, and then drag them under the parent. That is another step as well, but I thought I'd mention it.

It is a perfectly reasonable way to do it, and that's how I have done it mostly to this point. I enter items through a variety of devices, not all of which support subtasks nicely so I haven't worked them much yet.

(toodledo's iphone app, pocket informant for the iphone, activewords on my various desktops and via email from my android phone (no good apps yet for it=( )

and then just do my inbox review actually in front of the computer.

When I start working with a new system - I haven't been here long - I like to see how things work. I was experimenting to see if I could build things like a

- weekly recurring shopping list (recurs weekly)
- a checklist of items to take care of before a software deployment (recurs at odd intervals so I can't use a repeat on it, I wonder what happens if I clone a parent with repeating children)
- things not to forget when i travel for business (has a mix of repeating and non-repeating tasks depending on where I'm going and what I'm presenting)

I wanted to see how toodledo handled those situations so I was playing with sub tasks and noticed odd behaviour - thought I'd mention it because it is a little obscure so it could have slipped through QA.
Anders

For a weekly recurring shopping list, you could just use "repeat with parent for each subtask"
When you clone a parent task, all the subtasks will be cloned as well, including attributes like repeat.

Anyway, my guess is that what you have found is a bug. I really think it used to work the way you were expecting. I will be interested to hear what Toodledo has to say.
Edit: Sorry, I got confused about which of your threads this was. I was referring to the repeating subtasks not being completed with their parent that you described in the other thread.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We do plan to make the defaults more persistent and to allow subtasks to optionally inherit information from their parent.
IceHeartX

Posted by Toodledo:
We do plan to make the defaults more persistent and to allow subtasks to optionally inherit information from their parent.

yay. maybe I won't start ripping through your api docs just yet.
sause

Posted: Mar 09, 2010
I'd like to have a feature on checklists. For daily things, like morning rituals, I set recurring for daily. But there are many checklists that I do at random times. Say going for a bike ride. I'd like to go through the list, checking that I've done each... then next time I go to the check list, everything is unchecked and ready to do again. Perhaps an "uncheck" all button. I haven't wanted to make it daily if that would add a bunch of items to my daily to do list.

Anyway around this, or need a new feature?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 09, 2010
You could make it a repeating task with subtasks that repeat with the parent. Then when you check off the parent, it recreates it with unchecked subtasks.

You could also use task cloning for this.
saskia.x

Posted: Mar 12, 2010
Posted by sause:
I'd like to have a feature on checklists. For daily things, like morning rituals, I set recurring for daily. But there are many checklists that I do at random times. Say going for a bike ride. I'd like to go through the list, checking that I've done each... then next time I go to the check list, everything is unchecked and ready to do again. Perhaps an "uncheck" all button. I haven't wanted to make it daily if that would add a bunch of items to my daily to do list.

I just use "repeat with parent" for this, and check off the parent when I've completed the checklist. If you don't want the task to have a due date you can always leave it blank & use the start date field. That way you can set the repeat to daily if you like and it won't get in the way of more urgent tasks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.