ForumsQuestionsSubtasks with the iphone App

Subtasks with the iphone App
Toddbg

Posted: Sep 19, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hello - I am thinking of switching from Zenbe lists over to Toodledo and was wondering how the iphone app handles Subtasks.

My main reason for switching from Zenbe is the lack of development and that it is stuck at a flat list.

I like to have a list of things to get accomplished (tasks) and some of those tasks will have subtasks (projects).
I like having these mixed in the same view but with proper indentation so that you can see the overall relationship.

I know Toodledo does not ultimately show things the way I would like (being able to switch between a outline view which shows the proper nesting, or a view by date which shows tasks due by date (btw - anyone know of an app that does do this?)) but I was hoping someone can post screenshots of what the iphone App Does do. this way I can see what having a pro account on toodledo with the app would work like.

Thanks!
Anders

The iPhone app has two viewing options for subtasks, In-line and Nested. You can switch between them from a Filters button at the bottom of the screen.
With In-line, all your tasks, parents, subtask, and standalone tasks, are shown together in the list. There is no indenting however. You can distinguish parent and subtasks by an icon shown after the task name, or you can sort by Subtasks which puts all parent tasks at the top of the list, followed by your subtasks and standalones.
With Nested subtasks, your task list includes only parent tasks and standalones. In order to see your subtasks, you must tap on the parent task, and then tap on subtasks at the bottom of the parent's task details screen. This is something that could be improved in my opinion.
You can sort by Due Dates in the app as well, but maybe you know that.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2009.
Toddbg

Thanks for the reply Anders. I am trying to decide which online app to switch over to as well as which iphone app to switch to.

I like having one master list of all tasks but the added ability to see the hierarchy is an excellent thing.
I actually like "Outliner" from carbonfin - but they do not truly sync with any of the online todo services.

I've narrowed down the online services to Todoist and Toodledo
(though the lack of an App for Toodist is currently a dealbreaker)

For iPhone apps for Toodledo which one is the best in terms of handling tasks, subtasks, and associated due date views (where a nested item is due today but the project itself is not due yet (the task should show up as due if looking at the date view))

Thanks much!
Anders

Of the many iPhone apps that sync with Toodledo, only 3 currently support subtasks, the official Toodledo app, Appigo's Todo, and LifeFocus Apps' LifeFocus. Toodledo is the only one that lets you flatten your subtasks, but Todo is the only one that will show a parent task as due based on a subtask's due date (this has been recently suggested quite a bit as a feature to Toodledo though, for both the app and the website). Todo is probably the best in terms of subtask display IMO, though you do sacrifice the ability to see everything flattened, so you can never see actions in a project in the same list with standalone actions.
migpres

Posted: Sep 20, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I would appreciate if subtasks can be shown indented in the Toodledo in iPhone. Thanks
nrcapes

Posted: Sep 21, 2009
I just signed up for the 7-day trial as a pro user. I added a task with two subtasks from the web site. The indentation is fine on the web site, but, as you note, you really can't see indentation on the iphone app (i.e., both the parent task and the subtasks without clicking on the parent task's detail screen). I think this is a needed improvement. It also might be useful to distinguish between "nested" tasks (which could be true of any subtask) and "indented" subtasks (which would show up truly indented).

Posted by Anders:
The iPhone app has two viewing options for subtasks, In-line and Nested. You can switch between them from a Filters button at the bottom of the screen.
With In-line, all your tasks, parents, subtask, and standalone tasks, are shown together in the list. There is no indenting however. You can distinguish parent and subtasks by an icon shown after the task name, or you can sort by Subtasks which puts all parent tasks at the top of the list, followed by your subtasks and standalones.
With Nested subtasks, your task list includes only parent tasks and standalones. In order to see your subtasks, you must tap on the parent task, and then tap on subtasks at the bottom of the parent's task details screen. This is something that could be improved in my opinion.
rstraker

Posted: Jan 03, 2010
Posted by migpres:
I would appreciate if subtasks can be shown indented in the Toodledo in iPhone. Thanks

Ditto. That would be much more functional for me to have indented subtasks that can show under the parent tasks on the iPhone.

Keep up the great work.
carlg

Posted: Jan 03, 2010
I can live without actual "indented" subtasks on iphone app, just don't make me scroll to the bottom of the main task just to find the button to open up the subtask list!
Yannis

Posted: Jan 04, 2010
Yes indeed! The display of subtasks on the iPhone app is subpar to say the least. The Appigo implementation is exemplary. Why not take a few UI cues from there?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 05, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion.
greg

Posted: May 21, 2010
just discovered toodledo and love it (both web and iphone versions)
but the thing is that, even with indented substasks implemented in the iphone app, experience would still be somehow frustating for me:

- either you have subtasks "in-line" and then you can end up in a weird situation where a subtask has higher importance than its parent and thus shows up higher in the task list (!!)

- either you activate nesting / indentation and the importance of the subtask will alway be capped by the importance of its parent (even if it is overdue, starred with top 3 priority)

Why not using a goal instead of a parent task? Well then i cannot specify a due date.

In fact, what i am looking for is probably a parent task whose importance is actually the weighted average importance of its children.

Does it make sense?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 25, 2010
We plan to allow subtasks and parents to inherit information from each other in a future update.
Paul.Key

Posted: Jul 06, 2010
I do not see the filters button you reference below on the iPhone app. I have the latest version installed.

Posted by Anders:
PeterW 

Posted: Jul 06, 2010
Paul,

That was where the button was located in an older version. In the current version, you simply tap the toolbar where the current filter status is shown.

So, open a list of tasks - it doesn't matter if it's by folder or context or tag, etc. The very top darker blue colored bar displays the list name. Just below that is a lighter blue colored toolbar.

On the left hand side of this light blue toolbar is the current filter status - it will show "Hidden Tasks: X" where x = the number of hidden tasks.

Tap on that part of the toolbar and the Filter screen will open. This screen has multiple tabs - the 'Filters' tab has a setting that will allow you to set subtasks to in-line or nested.

This message was edited Jul 06, 2010.
Paul.Key

Posted: Jul 07, 2010
Many thanks!
virvin

Posted: Jul 22, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
We plan to allow subtasks and parents to inherit information from each other in a future update.

I would like to vote for the inheritance feature on subtasks as well. It's helpful that the folder is inherited, but since the context is not inherited, by new subtasks keep getting filtered out when I filter by context.

It is also very time consuming to have to enter all the different fields multiple times for subtasks.

Thank you!
findhostcoupons Post deleted
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.