ForumsQuestionsMy top 5 toodle-do please-haves

My top 5 toodle-do please-haves
KateYoak

Posted: Sep 21, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
When I started using toodledo, I was an immediate convert. And as often happens, things started getting in the way. I looked at a variety of other systems, and ultimately decided toodledo has the greatest potential of them all. So I'll quit wasting time looking for alternatives and instead share my top please-haves as I decided to call them.

1. Type-in folders/contexts/goals. I find myself sooo frequently frustrated having to abandon the task, go make a folder, come back. OmniFocus has done an excellent job of a combined auto-complete/dropdown/type-in solution.

2. Multimedia notes. Boy, would it be nice to put a snapshot into a note, or record voice! Evernote does a pretty good job with that.

3. Task dependencies. (I've seen a lot of talk about that.) Though I would simplify it by selecting whether subtasks as parallel or sequential. If sequential, define sequence. Then flip the status when an earlier task is completed.

4. On the iphone, allow to search *all* tasks, not a particular list.

5. Custom sort for individual lists. I would be sooo nice if you could have your folders lists (that you probably are using for reviews) to be sorted by one thing, your starred list, by another, your context lists by third. Just thinking about it makes me feel better!

That's pretty much everything. If I had those, I'd be in my GTD heaven!

Kate
thpope

Posted: Sep 22, 2009
I like all of these.

1. On-the-fly creation of folders is very important.
2. Multimedia notes would be fantastic.
3. Task dependencies or parent-child relationships, also would be great.
4. You can go to the All Tasks list and do this now, which I'm ok with, but I'd very much like to search every field.
5. Custom sort lists would be great. I'd expand that to Custom Views, or extend the advanced search to save more than the search, i.e. sorting and filtering.
reckoner

How about the ability to add notes without having to scroll all the way over to the right to click on the correct icon?

It would also be nice to have the notes automatically appended with a date and time every time you add a new node.

Right now, I do this manually.

I agree with everything else on this list.
Alan

Score: 3 Reference
Can I vote for the ability to have your saved searched "ported" to the iPhone app as well? Those saved searches are nice customized views that should be accessible through either interface.
benny

Posted: Sep 24, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
+1000000 for iPhone saved searches
jamezzz

Posted: Sep 25, 2009
Yeah, I like that list. Those five things are all things I've wanted in Toodledo. Particularly, item 3 and 5.
DomiA94

Posted: Sep 26, 2009
+1 for this list for sure !
miicah

Posted: Sep 28, 2009
Score: -2 Reference
I really would like to see a MUCH better userinterface on the web. All the features aseked are good BUT this UI is so dumb.

Take a look at OmniFocus, Things or The Hit List. There is a good goal for the UI.

I would like to pay a little bit extra if I can see usable Toodledo. (I have upgraded already.)
Proximo

Posted by miicah:
I really would like to see a MUCH better userinterface on the web. All the features aseked are good BUT this UI is so dumb.

Take a look at OmniFocus, Things or The Hit List. There is a good goal for the UI.

I would like to pay a little bit extra if I can see usable Toodledo. (I have upgraded already.)

I love the Things UI on the iPhone and Mac. I can honestly say if Things would make a PC version of their app. or a web based version to go with the iPhone app.

I would be a Things user in 1 New York second.

Toodledo is great, but the UI feels dated and acts more like a spreadsheet that it does a good UI.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Sep 29, 2009
Posted by Proximo:

I love the Things UI on the iPhone and Mac. I can honestly say if Things would make a PC version of their app. or a web based version to go with the iPhone app.

I would be a Things user in 1 New York second.

Toodledo is great, but the UI feels dated and acts more like a spreadsheet that it does a good UI.

Have you seen Nirvana? It is a "Things-like" online app.

As a mac user, I have tried OmniFocus, Things, Hit-List and other mac specific apps. And although they do have a great UI, they don't compare to the functionality of Toodledo in my books.

It really boggles my mind that TD hasn't done something about the UI up to this point. I would love to see a top-level UI designer working with TD to rework the interface. It is obviously a big concern among users, and it would make a world of difference.
Mic

Posted: Oct 11, 2009
Proximo, Vin, have you tried the ToodleThings User Script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/54863

Works nice on Chrome BTW
Studio B Events, Inc

Posted: Oct 13, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I need at least one more level of nesting....please....
Vin Thomas

Posted by Mic:
Proximo, Vin, have you tried the ToodleThings User Script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/54863

Works nice on Chrome BTW

I have tried it, and it's ok. A little tweaky in a few places. I am sticking with a custom user-script. http://bit.ly/toodledomac

Feel free to try that as well.
Mic

Already tried your Mac user script, very clean and stylish.

In fact, I'm not using it for a very silly reason: at work, the arrow of the left sidebar (as well as the logo on the top) is blocked by our internal proxy.
imonsei

Posted: Oct 15, 2009
is it just me or has the custom sortings already been implemented?
when i switch from view by folder to view by context it sorts differently and remembers my sort.
and i love it <3
thanks toodledo staff :)
Vin Thomas

Posted by Mic:
Already tried your Mac user script, very clean and stylish.

In fact, I'm not using it for a very silly reason: at work, the arrow of the left sidebar (as well as the logo on the top) is blocked by our internal proxy.

Hmm...the images are hosted in my public dropbx. I guess I could try hosting them on my website http://vintom.com. Do you think that would solve the problem?
Vin Thomas

I agree with all of those "please-haves". I wonder if Toodledo would charge just a little bit more if we could see some of these changes implemented.

$10 more per year over 10,000 users would be pretty substantial. Substantial enough to hire a UI designer, figure out a way to do manual sorting, task dependencies, etc.

No?

Sometimes I wonder if a complete rewrite might be in order. I am sure there are things Toodledo would have done differently had he known what he knows now.
Alan

Posted: Oct 19, 2009
Posted by Alan:
Can I vote for the ability to have your saved searched "ported" to the iPhone app as well? Those saved searches are nice customized views that should be accessible through either interface.

The more I work with using saved searched to fine-tune the views I need to accomplish my tasks, the more critical this enhancement is becoming for me to be able to work seamlessly across the iPhone and Web interfaces.

I an really hoping that this feature is being strongly considered.
Mic

Posted: Oct 20, 2009
Posted by Vin Thomas:

Hmm...the images are hosted in my public dropbx. I guess I could try hosting them on my website http://vintom.com. Do you think that would solve the problem?

Definitely, if you put them on vintom.com, it will work.

Thanks a lot
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.