ForumsQuestionsChange the name "Toodledo"

Change the name "Toodledo"
sven

Posted: Jul 11, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I'm sure you've received flack before for the name Toodledo...

But what a fantastic and sophisticated program... with a name that sounds like a dandy fop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fop) were prancing around waiving his hands and calling it out with glee.

Seriously though -- you should really think about changing it. It's especially embarrassing if you link Toodledo up with Jott, which thinks that it's pronounced like "Toledo-doh". It's really hard to be in a public place (like a bus or train) yelling "TOODLE DOO!" over and over into your phone without looking like an idiot.
I was trying to show off the Jott feature to my wife, and she busted out laughing (almost crying) as I repeated "TOODLE DOO!" into my phone while trying to look serious.

And when I tell my friends about this fantastic software service todo list that they should use on their iPhone, and they say "what's it called?", and I have to say "uh... well... the name's a bit weird, but it's called 'Toodledo'... but don't let that hold you back, it's really great."

It really is well designed, easy to use, lots of great interfaces. And I know you're probably used to the name by now and don't even think about it. But really, it wouldn't be that big of a stretch to change it and come across as more sophisticated, appeal to a wider audience of people (especially enterprise customers).

Anyone else feel this way?
Jeremy

Um, yeah....I feel ya sven.

I'm not here for the name, but it makes me less likely to tell other people about it in person. I was previously using a Franklin Planner and some elcetronic forms of lists and it just wasn't working for me. Over the years I had taken the time to visit the Franklin Planner store with friends, co-workers, and family to help them get organized. I was a big believer in them and still am for people that can work within their system. I would still help someone set things up if they wanted help.

Now I'm a huge fan of Toodledo and I want to promote it in the same way, but everyone I tell laughs at me. So I refer to it in general terms....an online planner (planner friends), web-based electronic organizer, GTD tool, etc. That helps make it less distracting.

I know that the investment has been made in the Toodledo "brand", but you might want to consider a name change now, rather than later.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
In the 2+ years that we have been running Toodledo, this is only the second complaint that we have received about our name. Plenty of people thought that Yahoo! and Flickr were a silly names too, so I guess we are in good company.

That said, if you can find a creative .com name that isn't already taken, we'll entertain the idea of using it as an alias for our site.
Kevin

I've got no problems with the name. Look at some of the other ones out there: "remember the milk"? "nozbe"? huh? Anybody who won't take a new product seriously based on its name probably still isn't using Google, Yahoo! or Twitter, either.

My only problem with the name is that I had to change it to TO DO on my Jott link because Jott can never seem to understand how I pronounce "Toodledo" no matter how many different ways I say it.
sven

I think you'll do well because the program works well, and it seems to be constantly improving. But I think that's in spite of the name. You're program is much more sophisticated than it sounds (and the name is definitely better than "remember the milk")

(I've got some background in branding and marketing, so just trying to help... I'll still strongly recommend you to friends)

Yahoo! and Flickr have different audiences, different 'personas'. They were (when they started) trying to convey "new", "different", "unique", "fun" ("The Internet is new and fun, come join us!", "Posting your photos online is new and fun!", etc.)

You're not necessarily trying to do that. Let me put it this way - would your parents buy a car called a "Yowza!", or would you go to a hospital called "Woot!"?

One way of thinking about these things is in terms of archtypes: Are you the 'wise sage'? The 'jester'? Something else? What images do you want people to have when they first hear your company name?

Your company is all about: time management, reliability, efficiency, productivity, technology. You're not necessarily trying to appeal to 'new', 'different', 'fun'. Sure, early adopters will go with it, but if you want an IT manager to buy 50 licenses, you need to appeal to those other, more stable archetypes.

I actually stumbled across you guys from a review that described you as "In a Nutshell: The silliest name, but the most powerful features."

http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/2007/09/22/iphone-to-do-list-applications-some-good-choic es/

Just something to think about. If I think of a good name with available URL, I'll pass it along. Maybe other people have suggestions too...
J-Mac

Heck, I don't care what you call it, as long as the feature set is about perfect - and Toodledo's is pretty darn close!

I wouldn't worry so much about what other people might think about the name. Are you using it to manage your tasks? Or trying to sell it?

Jim
jdoree

Posted: Jul 12, 2008
I think the name is fine.

If that's the biggest complaint some people have then that says good things about the product.

Long live Toodledo!
vlcofa

Posted: Jul 12, 2008
One product with a "serious" purpose and a ridiculous name is Yodlee, the financial site. That name did give me some pause when deciding if they were trustworthy. (Research revealed that they were very trustworthy).

Toodledo, on the other hand, has no need to seem serious or important. It can be fun. Even if you're using it for serious business, the name does not take away from the value.

I used a writers' program called "Miss Lonelynotes" that later changed its name to "SuperNoteCard." The program improved, but I always thought the less silly name was a blow--it lessened the perceived creativity behind the product...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 14, 2008
I just wanted to make it clear that we have no intention of changing our name. All I was saying with my previous post was that if someone came up with another clever name (that was still available), we would consider having it point to Toodledo as an alias (similar to how we have the misspelling todledo.com working as an alias).
kafene

Posted: Jul 20, 2008
Posted by sven:
I'm sure you've received flack before for the name Toodledo...

But what a fantastic and sophisticated program... with a name that sounds like a dandy fop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fop) were prancing around waiving his hands and calling it out with glee.

Seriously though -- you should really think about changing it. It's especially embarrassing if you link Toodledo up with Jott, which thinks that it's pronounced like "Toledo-doh". It's really hard to be in a public place (like a bus or train) yelling "TOODLE DOO!" over and over into your phone without looking like an idiot.
I was trying to show off the Jott feature to my wife, and she busted out laughing (almost crying) as I repeated "TOODLE DOO!" into my phone while trying to look serious.

Anyone else feel this way?

LMAO!!!!!!

kafene.
christopher

Posted: Jul 08, 2009
Score: -1 Reference
Honestly, Sven and Jeremy: it makes you too uncomfortable to say the word "Toodledo" in public? What kind of stoic personae are you cultivating that a silly word causes such consternation? (Maybe you could pronounce it "Too Dull Do" in a Germanic monotone as to sound less foppish?)

I'm just giving you two grief: it is a silly name – but I like it. The whole world seems to race towards the lowest-common-denominator and least-offensive shade of test-marketed beige. We should all save a little room in our lives for a nonsense word or two. Viva la Toodle.
Linden

Posted: Jul 09, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I'm on the boat with Christopher, here. Toodledo *is* a somewhat silly name, but that doesn't need to be a point against it -- even in the serious corporate world. I don't know any people in "serious" business who refuse to use Google because it's a silly name.

In fact, the lighthearted aspect of the name can actually be a benefit to the sell:

"Toodledo"
- sounds like something that might be uttered by someone strolling in the park, with nothing distracting them from enjoying their personal time. Perhaps that person is using a powerful task manager that allows them the peace of mind that everything is on track -- so they can actually relax when away from work.

- suggests a light, fun experience that is so different from using other task management software. And if it's fun (or at least easy), your staff will be more likely to keep on top of it rather than procrastinate. This could make it an ideal productivity tool in the office.

So, it's certainly possible to market Toodledo as a serious, powerful task manager that makes your weighty tasks feel light as a feather.
Anders

I agree completely. I thought the name was a little strange at first, but it is a unique and creative name, something a Disney imagineer might come up with ;)

Most task management programs have bland and uncreative names, and Toodledo is a different breed of task manager, so I think the name is fitting.
Rory

I'm fine with the name too - it's amusing and has some character. It's definitely memorable.

Coming from England though, it reminds me a lot of the phrase "toodle pip / toodeloo", which is pretty much reserved for upper class snobby-type people with curly moustaches. I assume this is what Sven was referring to (albeit with a much more eloquent description), so I kind of understand the somewhat negative connotations there...
Tyler

Posted: Jul 10, 2009
Posted by Rory:
Coming from England though, it reminds me a lot of the phrase "toodle pip / toodeloo", which is pretty much reserved for upper class snobby-type people with curly moustaches.

I believe it's a pun on "Toodleloo", actually. (Otherwise it wouldn't make sense at all!)

Toodleloo (meaning "goodbye") doesn't have the snobbish connotations you mention in the US (in fact, it's news to me that the phrase has this connotation in the UK). It's not commonly used, but everyone has heard it -- the connotation in the US is just that it's a silly, antiquated expression, and when used, it's usually used facetiously for fun.
garyo

From wikipedia (under "Parting Phrase"):

"Tootles" "Toodaloo" "Toodledoo" (from the French phrase à tout à l'heure)

It basically means "goodbye" when spelled with two o's at the end, so it's a pun on that word.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2009.
Rory

Posted by Tyler:
Toodleloo (meaning "goodbye") doesn't have the snobbish connotations you mention in the US (in fact, it's news to me that the phrase has this connotation in the UK).

Yeah, I get the pun. For me it evokes memories of watching old war films where the officers would chirp to each other "toodleloo old chap!" and such like. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that phrase in any seriousness though.
Anders

I have an aunt who I have heard use "toodleloo", but she lived in England for a while, so she probably picked it up there.
thpope

Posted: Jul 13, 2009
I was looking back at web archives and think Toodledo.com was a search engine when it started, I think back in 2001, and in 2006 (?) they started the current todo website.
cj

Posted: Jul 14, 2009
As a someone who teaches marketing I agree with the analogies that people initially felt a little dumb about saying google or yahoo (or even twitter), but these names were unique enough to be remembered and generic enough to go in whatever direction they needed to go.

I only have one issue with the name toodledo: I use several voice command systems (similar to jott, or similar to dragon speak) ... most of these systems choke when I say toodledo. if I get lucky, it confuses it with todo (where I can have contingencies)

in other words, the name is unique - but not unique enough.

and worse, I can be heard in public shouting to my cellphone "toodledo" ... which does indeed seem odd.

; )

This message was edited Jul 14, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.