ForumsQuestionsTrying to import a reading list from a text file

Trying to import a reading list from a text file
charleslewis50

Posted: Oct 26, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I would like to import a books-to-be-read list that I now have as a text document (using Apple). When I try the import, I get a lot of garbage, with my books mixed in. Is this possible?
David

Here's an idea: cut and paste the text into an email and send it your TD account (see Import/Export/Sync and look for email configuration). It will arrive in your "No Folder" with the subject of the emails as the task and the body of the email in your notes.

Of course you can always just cut and paste the text into the task notes, but this lets you set up tasks on the fly.

David
charleslewis50

That would work with one book, but I have a list of many books, and i want to add them as different tasks, one for each book.

When I try an import, this is an example of what I get:

1 : B?o?o?k? ?1?
2 : ?B?o?o?k? ?2?

The original had:
Book 1
Book 2

Obviously something is coming in as garbage inbetween each letter.
Anders

That looks to me like text encoding issues, but I am no expert. The first thing I would try is opening it in a simple text editor like Notepad on Windows (I don't know what the Mac equivalent would be). And then save it as a plain text file (.txt). Then open it in a spreadsheet program and save it as a tab-delimited text file or a CSV, and try importing again.

Also, if this is literally just a list that you are importing, something like:
Item A
Item B
Item C
etc.
And you don't have Dates or Priorities or Folders to deal with, you could just paste the whole list into Toodledo's batch add screen: http://www.toodledo.com/bulk.php

This message was edited Oct 26, 2009.
charleslewis50

I woke up about ten minutes ago and thought "Batch Add"! It did exactly what I needed. I guess great minds think alike, though from the time stamp on your post, you beat me to the punch!

Pasting into a spreadsheet would probably do the job as well, but this was easier -- one step.

Thanks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.