ForumsQuestionsIs there a way to APPEND, not replace tags?

Is there a way to APPEND, not replace tags?
korey99

Posted: Oct 26, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I want to know if there is a way to add a tag to multiple tasks, instead of replacing all of the existing tags.

I have done a search for the tasks I want to edit, and I've entered the multi-edit screen. If I check the checkbox next to "tags" then enter the tag I want to add, the existing tags on my tasks are removed. Is there something I can type to cause the existing tags to be preserved?

Thanks,
Korey
Anders

No, you can't do it. See my post here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3633/-19667/read.html

I have made this feature request personally, but you are the only other person I have ever seen bring it up. I am glad someone else is finally on board.
korey99

Yeah, I'm totally on board with you, and thanks for the link.

Since Toodledo does not properly import tags when importing an iCal file from RememberTheMilk, I thought I'd at least be able to clean up the tags afterwards. I am hoping they add better support for tags to Toodledo. I have more faith in them than I do in the RTM staff, though. This feature (well, that and multiselect) are both significant barriers to my migrating over.
Proximo

Posted: Oct 27, 2009
Posted by korey99:
Is there something I can type to cause the existing tags to be preserved?

Yes,

Just type the current Tag and the one you want to append.

Done....

If you are talking about appending a tag to many task that have only one tag.

So if my current tag is "Party" on let's say 25 task. If I wanted to add a tag called "House". I would do a search for all task that contain the "Party" tag. Then do a Multi-edit and check the tag option. I will then type. "Party, House"

I just appended the "House" tag to all 25 task that contain the "Party" tag. When you look at your task, both tags will be there. When you look in tag view, both tags will have their own folders.

Not saying it can't be improved, but it does work just fine.

Anders link is covering a different issue and Anders is correct. But if you are talking about appending a tag to an existing one. What I mentioned above works just fine.

This is not possible if you are talking about task with multiple tags with different combination's associated with them. Removing and appending becomes difficult in this case as Anders describes so well.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2009.
korey99

Sorry if I was not clear before, but Anders hit the nail on the head. I wanted to append a new tag to a bunch of tasks, each of which already has it's own set of likely different tags. Being able to add another tag only to those tasks that have exactly the same prior tags isn't very useful to me.

At this time, there doesn't seem to be any real "magic" to the tag field in Toodledo. Other than being able to list tasks by tag it seems to nothing more than a straight text field. RTM, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Flickr, etc. all handle like the others, but toodledo's implementatiin leaves some room for improvement so far. I think I'll steer clear of tags for now.
Proximo

@korey99

Unfortunately, Anders is right and there is no way of doing what you are asking.

I don't use many tags, so I have a little easier time managing them. Tags don't work on Toodledo as they do on any other site that has them.

Tags should allow for cloud selection, they should populate automatically as you type and they should appear as tags with some kind of label background to bring attention to them.

no one is sure if Toodledo plans a UI overhaul to bring the looks and feel up to par with the rest of the world. :-(
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 28, 2009
Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to append or selectively remove a single tag from multiple tasks at the same time. This is something that we hope to support in a future update.
DougieSpam

Posted: Dec 18, 2009
Add my vote to the growing list of people requesting this feature. Possibly even a format like +<TAG> to add <TAG> to a list of tasks in multi-edit and -<TAG> to remove a tag from every item in the list where it appears.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.