ForumsQuestionsPlease vote on this feature (Multiple Contexts per Task)

Please vote on this feature (Multiple Contexts per Task)
Osaga

Posted: Jan 03, 2010
Score: 10 Reference
Please voice your vote if you would think this to be a useful feature for ToodleDo.

Multiple Contexts Per Task

Contexts are great! They help to organize tasks without having too rely completely on folders. I propose the ability for a task to have multiple contexts.

What this will do for you:
1. Allows you to organize and locate your tasks.

Example
Having a context for Work and Personal works well. If you have a task "Build New Back Deck", you can set the contexts to "Personal" and "Project". And if you have a task "Create Annual Marketing Project" you can set the contexts to "Work" and "Project".

Now using saved or filtered searches you can view all projects you have that are related or work or projects that are personal. This way you don't have to use folders or use less folders.

What this will do for you:
1. Reduce folder clutter.
2. Allow for much easier organization.

Using this feature in conjunction with the "Saved Views Update" I proposed in the previous topic will make ToodleDo much easier to use and also much more personalized.

Please respond with a yes or why you think this might not work.

Thanks, Osaga
jskurnick

Posted: Jan 03, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
+1
marax

Posted: Jan 04, 2010
Hello,

I do this via tags. Actually I stopped using either Folders or Context and using Tags only.

Maybe this is a way to implement more complex features.

Pavel
shawn

+1
carlg

Redundant - Already have so many ways to collate tasks - folder, context, tag, star - it's almost overkill as is. For tasks that need double grouping I use "tags".
jlaker

Not needed since context is customizable just create a new context to suit your needs or use with tags.
Osaga

Problem with tags is you have to make sure you type them in every time and not misspelled. With a list you can just select the ones you need with 2 clicks. With tags I have to type the same thing every time... and I add a lot of tasks all the time. Tags are too time consuming.
Proximo

Score: 1 Reference
+1 for multiple context

Context are areas of focus or resources required.

If I am at work and want to see all the task that require a Phone. I would like to use @Work and @Call to filter it.

I hate tags in Toodledo. You have to type them out, they are not implemented that well and there is no tag cloud. If I had the ability to assign multiple context, I will quit using tags to overcome this limitation.

I am not saying tags are not useful, but the idea here is to keep things simple and having multiple context just makes sense and it's a GTD Practice that Toodledo does not allow us to use.

Tags could then be used for something else that is more creative if you do need them.
alanzeke

Score: 2 Reference

Context has a specific meaning for GTD folks, and stuff like "project" and "personal" isn't it. The context field is perfect the way it is.
Osaga

Posted: Jan 05, 2010
In Response to alanzeke...

Allowing multiple contexts will in no way affect the GTD folks. You can still use just one context if you need to. I would not limit ToodleDo to the GTD methodology. It should be open and flexible as at some point the GTD will be eclipsed by something better as all things are.

Why would you want to limit this programs potential and flexibility?
mdfloyd

+1
David

+1
Osaga

Posted: Jan 07, 2010
As the original posted I have one more idea that would work instead of using multiple contexts. It would involve the tags. Yes, I know you can use multiple tags, but if you end up using a lot of tags you have to remember all of them when it comes to typing them in and also you have to type them which makes them error prone to spelling mistakes.

What would work great would be a window that pops up with all of your currently used tags with checkboxes next to each one and then you can just easily click which tags you want to use. There would also be a field to enter in a new tag.

Really hoping to see this feature available.
Proximo

Posted: Jan 08, 2010
Having multiple context will allow more flexibility and would not hurt anyone who does not need them. With GTD, multiple context are important for many but this does not mean you must use it.

I don't understand why anyone would say something is not needed because of the way they use Toodledo. This won't break what you are doing but would benefit those who do like it.

@Osaga:

I don't see GTD going away. It's been around since 2002 and becomes more popular every year.

The Franklyn Covey productivity system has been around since 1997 I believe and it's still used by many people.
eykanal

Score: -1 Reference

As was said, feature already available via tags. While I do understand the "Toodledo isn't GTD" argument, context is clearly implemented here for the GTD folks. There are so many features in Toodledo (which aren't part of the GTD method) and you can already accomplish what you want using those methods.

However, the idea to have a pop-up box with all your current tags and checkboxes is a good one. This could also be implemented using autocomplete and a drop-down menu, similar to google autocomplete.

EDIT TO ADD: check out this post. It appears this feature is coming to the web interface sometime in the future.

This message was edited Jan 08, 2010.
donericoson

+1
Quang

Posted: Jan 09, 2010
Score: 2 Reference

How about better implementation of Tags instead?

Context is exactly how it sounds you should have only one context per task. I think having some restrictions, like one folder per task/one context per tasks forces us to be more productive and organized. Plus there's ways to get around limitations with a lil creativity.

"@ Computer", "@ Store", perhaps you could have something like "@Computer or Home"...? "@Work & @Phone" ?
Vin Thomas

Posted: Jan 09, 2010
I agree with Quang. Better implementation of tags would be a life saver.

It would be great to be able to go into a "tag view" that allowed you to click on multiple tags and have the app live-update with those filters.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 11, 2010
Our iPhone app was just updated with a better tag picker, and we plan to bring this to the website as well.
Osaga

Posted: Jan 12, 2010
Awesome! Thanks for the update. This will work just as well as the multiple contexts.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.