ForumsQuestions"Remind me" at exact time

"Remind me" at exact time
eykanal

Posted: Jan 29, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Two separate points:

1) Currently, when I check the "remind me" checkbox, that action isn't saved until I select a time from the drop-down menu. (i.e., if I check the box and then navigate away from the "Date and Time" opoup window, no alarm is set.) This behavior is contrary to almost the entire rest of the site, where as soon as I make a selection the item is saved.

2) There should be a "remind me at this time" (i.e., 0 min before) option... not everything requires 15 minutes of planning.

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 29, 2010
Yes, you have to select a time from the drop-down menu, otherwise it doesn't know when you want the reminder. To save a step, you can just skip the checkbox and select a value fro the drop down menu.
eykanal

Posted: Feb 01, 2010
You missed the second point in my post.

2) It would be nice if there would be a "remind me at this time" (i.e., 0 min before) option... not everything requires 15 minutes of planning.

Thanks!
replytoken

Posted: Feb 02, 2010
Posted by eykanal:
You missed the second point in my post.

2) It would be nice if there would be a "remind me at this time" (i.e., 0 min before) option... not everything requires 15 minutes of planning.

Thanks!

While not everything requires 15 minutes of planning, there is no way that Toodledo can guarantee delivery of a reminder exactly at the time requested via the internet. The 15 minute minimum is a buffer that allows them the ability to cover minor glitches or delays in the delivery of the reminder. The fact that we see few of these glitches, and consistent deliver, is good, but not something that Toodledo probably wants to bank upon.

--Ken
eykanal

Posted: Feb 02, 2010
I don't quite agree with that argument. If they're telling you they'll provide a reminder 15 minutes prior, they don't mean "anywhere between 0 and 15 minutes prior." They mean 15 minutes prior, exactly. Whether they can deliver that is always a function of the current state of their servers as well as global internet congestion and traffic, the first of which they take pains to address (server upgrades, fast pipelines, etc) and the second of which they're at much at risk as any other web-based business.

In my opinion, they do the first very well... I never experience any delays with this site, and my reminders come almost instantaneously. The second is not something they can control for, and consequently not something which I as a reasonable customer can hold them accountable for.

In light of that, this is a simple request for functionality which I think should have been there all along. They already offer "instantaneous" reminders for 15 min prior, 30 min prior, etc... why not immediate? I have yet to see a desktop to-do app which doesn't offer this functionality.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 03, 2010
Due to delays in various parts of the system, including delays with Apple and on the iPhone, we cannot guarantee that instantaneous reminders would arrive instantaneously. We don't want people to get the false impression that they will be reminded at the exact time, when the actually reminder could come up to 10 minutes late. This is why 15 minutes is the shortest time, so that in the worst case scenario, it still arrives a few minutes before the actual event.
eykanal

Posted: Feb 04, 2010
Thanks for the response! I guess it's a case of "que sera, sera." Thanks anyway for an awesome app.
Steve

Posted: Feb 05, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I'd vote for a "0 minutes before" too. It's up to me to realise and cope with the fact that reminders might be late. As it stands, if I want to be reminded of a task around, say, 11am, I have to make the task due at 11.15, which just seems arbitrarily silly. It's no different from the argument that with 15 minutes, in the worst case scenario at least I'll be reminded a few minutes before. If I want to be reminded of something 15 minutes beforehand it might be because I need 15 minutes to prepare or travel etc. I just have to live with the fact that delays in the reminder might happen. I'd like the ultimate decision to be mine!
Transisto

Posted: Feb 06, 2010
I totally agree, I vote for 0 min reminder, as every reminder method has it's turnaroud and I bet my iCal will popup that reminder within 0,01 sec at worst.

And while at it I wish to push for a multiple reminder ,
It would be of good use in situations where we want to do something at precisely that moment and the task require different level of preparedness.

Like going to bed 8h before a day job

Allowing time to moving to place X to do task Y.

(Pocket Informant does it nicely)

This message was edited Feb 06, 2010.
jbucku2

How do you get the reminder intervals. I only show "None" or "1 hr before".
David

@jbucku2

You have to be a Pro- or Pro-Plus Subscriber to get the added intervals.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.