ForumsQuestionsSlow Website, yet again

Slow Website, yet again
mikefapex

Posted: Mar 16, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Is anyone else experiencing the slowness of Toodledo.com? It is very frustrating, the browser spins and nothing happens. Can't say I've written every event down but over the last couple of months I run into this overall slow response time more and more often.

What's going on?
PeterW 

Score: 0 Reference
I haven't experienced this recently - seems to be working fine for me.
Andrew A

Not here either, perfectly peppy, at work, in NYC.

Do other sites slow down at the same time?
JCLATWORK

I haven't noticed it either. In Hong Kong.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 17, 2010
We have not experienced any slowdowns recently. It must be your internet connection/browser/isp or something else.
max

Posted: May 18, 2010
Hi

I'm also experiencing slowness, but I think it is to do with my growing task list which is actually making IE8 freeze up completely and drop-down lists very sticky etc. I've tried Firefox and it's not much better with long task lists.

A quick solution is just to close the tab and open another.

Max
PeterW 

I've noticed some sporadic slowness in loading lately but not sure why. Other sites aren't affected. If I close and reopen the browser window it usually goes back to normal.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If closing the browser fixes it, then it is unlikely to be a problem with our servers or website. Browsers need to be restarted periodically to get rid of memory leaks. Especially Firefox.
PeterW 

Thanks. I wondered if it might be FF.

But I am persisting with it because I can use Stylish scripts to make the site look nice.
PeterW 

I had some more loading delays today so shutdown FF and used Chrome with no user script/skin. Same thing happened. It often seems to be when changing tabs (e.g. folders) and in each instance, both in FF and Chrome, the status bar at the bottom of the browser shows "Waiting for images.toodledo.com...".
max

Posted: May 19, 2010
Interesting, I just wrote a long reply here and got a message I only see from the Toodledo site which is "Bad Request". I've never had it anywhere else, but I get it on toodledo a couple of times a day.

I also find in the last day or so that Toodledo is logging me out every couple of minutes.

Anyway, what I wrote is that I think the problem is that for those of us users with large lists AND lots of metadata (long long lists of folder and context drop downs), today's browsers are not yet capable of handling these volumes. So it's probably not toodledo's fault so much as some of our lists - and more importantly their metadata - is just crashing IE, Firefox and Chrome.

That's my opinion as a non-tech.

Max
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 19, 2010
"Bad Request" sounds like your browser is behaving inappropriately. Maybe a bad plugin.
saskia.x

Posted: May 20, 2010
I have quite a lot of tasks, lots of goals, and a fair few folders & contexts, and I don't see this slowness in either Chrome or Firefox. I also have far too many Firefox extensions and usually too many tabs open (and all this on a computer that could probably do with an upgrade), but despite this Toodledo is just as fast as it's always been for me! So I don't think this is a universal problem, nor is it apparently an inevitable consequence of having a large database.
andrew.yeh.10

Posted: Aug 10, 2010
The page loads fast for me, but the website itself seems a bit sluggish (the highlighting of the current task the mouse is on takes a second or two to show up & all actions like focusing on a multiline task or deleting a task all quite slow). This is a new windows 7 computer I'm using. The old windows xp computer I used was slower overall but ran toodledo faster.
mikefapex

Posted: Aug 27, 2010
I've come back to this page. Yes, this website continues to be intermittently slow (both from my office and home - two very different ISPs). But it is happening every day. I am running Firefox 3.6.8 on WindowsXP. Open tabs now are: Google news, GMail, Oracle Technet, Google search, ToodleDo Tasks, Toodledo forums (this window).

Areas that are consistently slow:
1. Add a task, then reload the window to get it to appear in date order. This reload is very slow.
2. Open a Notebook, edit a note. Just getting into Edit mode can either take a long time. Or simply hang, I have to come back later.

Again, all of these other tabs respond quickly, so it is NOT my overall internet connection.

Toodledo - some of your previous answers to people posts on this topic are just lame and unprofessional:

>>We have not experienced any slowdowns recently. It must be your internet connection/browser/isp or something else.<<

Nope, I just explained that all other tabs are fast.

>>"Bad Request" sounds like your browser is behaving inappropriately. Maybe a bad plugin.<<

THis is not an answer, just speculation. And speculation that some 'plugin' is bad. To me you are just pushing a smokescreen to get off the hook of doing anything.

I like the functionality of Toodledo.com. But not the consistent website slowness. As soon as I find another website that syncs with Iphone apps TODO and NOTEBOOK I'm outta here. The frustration is just not worth my time. Unless of course you want to really do some digging and find out why your website suffers from this intermittent slowness.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 27, 2010
We can't fix a problem if we can't reproduce it. We use Firefox all day long and we have not yet encountered a slowdown, but we will continue to try different configurations and scenarios. If you could provide a list of the plugins that you use, that would be helpful.

Thanks
duncanshannon

Posted: Aug 28, 2010
I've never had problems. infact, now that i'm thinking about it, performance has always been very good! thanks for running a great app. certainly worth the minimal subscription (pro) price.
achim.schmidt11

Posted: Dec 08, 2010
I recently upgraded from a 6 year old desktop running XP to a Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. Toodledo is painfully sluggish.
Right now I am sitting at a McDonalds with two laptops - one XP one Windows 7.
THe XP runs Toodledo website and my tasks so much faster that the Windows 7.

What is wrong with that???
Same website, same network connection, different OS and the website is sluggish to the point where I can't really use it.

Terrible.

I was considering to upgrade today - but not with this problem.

Any other experiences and solutions. I do whatever it takes
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If the website is slow on one machine and fast on the other, then there must be a problem with the slow machine, since that is the only different variable. Toodledo has no idea what machine you are using, it just sends the web page. Perhaps you are using a slower web browser, or perhaps your new computer has too much bloatware.
Andrew A

Could be bloatware, different firewalls, different Antivirus or other security software that interacts with the data stream, different wireless cards, different interference from some device. Heck, maybe one was uploading/downloading something huge while the other was not.

Yeah, I concur. That was great test you did in mcdonalds. It isn't the web server, it's something environmental on your end.

You should still upgrade. I like subtasks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.