ForumsQuestionstorn RTM vs Toodledo: want offline

torn RTM vs Toodledo: want offline
amiracam

Posted: Mar 22, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I'm getting into GTD but also like flexibility. On one hand Toodledo has more constructs for managing tasks, grouping stuffs and some other bells/whistles, goals , sheduler. On the other hand RTM lets me notify Skype and more importantly because of GEARS I get to both view but more importantly add tasks offline. I spend a significant amount of time commuting on the trains and buses of the NYC metro area and I get a lot of ideas that I need to jot down. Don't want to repeat my work.

Suggestions pls, and if there are any folks here that are knowledgeable of RTM I would appreciate a brief blurb on why you prefer Toodledo.

BTW, does Toodledo have a nickname :) ?
gjblair

There are 2 things that might help in Toodledo:

1. Get the Pro edition and send individual emails to your toodledo 'secret' name and they become tasks. You can queue the emails offline then send when networked.

2. Just create a text list of tasks, and use the Add Multiple Tasks capability.

-Gary
amiracam

Gary:

thanks,

Actually, I am able to send tasks to my inbox via email with the free edition but if I make my move to Toodledo I'll go for the Pro plus for the added features.

Any suggestions as to what "lightweight" tool to use to queue my email offline ?
gjblair

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Most email clients have the ability to queue but not send email messages while offline, then actually send them when you are back online, either automatically or via manual control.

Are you looking for a different, perhaps Toodledo specific, mail client so you don't need to use a general mail client, e.g., Outlook, Apple mail, etc.?
PeterW 

If you have an iPhone, you can use Toodledo's iPhone app or the one I use, Appigo Todo. You can then enter tasks/ideas wherever you are and sync them wirelessly, either immediately or whenever convenient.
amiracam

I use Gmail and although thru GEARS I can go offline, it entails opening my browser etc. I guess I'm looking for for something like the Remember the Milk mobile sync i.e. a very lightweight app that I can either run on my Fujitsu UMPC or less preferably on my Windows Mobile HTC phone. BTW, RTM actually syncs up the Windows Mobile Tasks app which is very lightweight. Yes, I'm guessing that the iPhone app would fit the criteria of lightweight. The iGoogle gadget would do but I would prefer it work as a Sidebar gadget in Windows 7 and of course it would have to work offline. Somebody built a Adobe Air app but it does not work offline unfortunately.

thanks
Levi Wallach

Posted: Mar 23, 2010
There's also Jott, which I believe works with both RTM and Toodledo. You can also text your tasks. Also Nuevasync for your phone as well as Outlook sync (you would enter the stuff on your phone, sync with outlook then sync with outlook sync?) Not sure if any of these options would work well for you.

Let me just say that as someone who used RTM extensively for a while, I greatly prefer Toodledo, which I've only been using now for a few weeks. It has a lot more structure that lets you to the GTD thing, but still has a fair degree of flexibility in how you want to implement it. RTM is so flexible that you have to come up with a system entirely and stick to rules and sets of tags. It doesn't have built-in (or settable) contexts, or statuses. Most of what you do is based on tags that you have to come up with (and adhere to).

Aside from just it being easier to implement GTD stuff in Toodledo right now, since I was working with RTM some three years or more ago, I've come to the conclusion that you can't count on them to add much in the way of features to their product. People have been pleading with them to add subtasks for over three years for example to no avail. Not just that but there really has been about zero additions in core functionality in over two years. The only thing they seem to work on are new clients or ways to sync, api stuff, etc. This is fine if you are completely satisfied with the core functionality, but there were a lot of things that I wasn't, and there answer was basically "we're not telling you what we're going to do or when we're going to do it, so go eff off." Seriously, after some of the users started getting tired of the lack of communication and sent some heartfelt, albeit a bit ranty messages on their forums, they wrote back in a tone that was, I felt, less then professional.

Compare that with Toodledo's excellent communication both on these forums as well as through their troubleticket system. They may not tell you when a particular feature will be added, but at least they will tell you that it is on their to-do list. And if you go back through their news items, you will see a constant and regular stream of feature enhancements and additions. If you look through RTM's blog, well, you don't see anything other than the aforementioned client and api work, plus maybe some "tips and tricks" and mentionings of their going to this conference or that show. I just got tired of it after a while and gave up on them...

There are other GTD-oriented services out there as well, but while they may have a few features Toodledo doesn't, they lack others that it does and they don't have the great communication and record of enhancements, IMO...
Dave

I agree, VERY VERY happy with Toodledo. Very quick forum response, simple system to use, and new features all of the time. Just missing my list sharing from RTM, but I am sure it will come. Lets not forget its also $10 cheaper, with many more features too. BTW I was a premium user of RTM for a year and stop using it halfway through my subscription. I also feel the Toodledo community is much more helpful.
Dave

@amiracam If you use Outlook, there is a free sync app with Toodledo. I use Pocket Informant on WinMo and they are supposed to be implementing Toodledo sync on it very soon (can't wait!). As for Offline, you can look at Taskangel which doesn't have full toodledo capability but it is very close and the developer keeps releasing new version consistently http://www.mypocketsoft.com/taskangel/default.aspx
Alan

Posted: Mar 24, 2010
Left RTM over a year ago. I was prompted to start looking around when I got fed-up with their "you should be happy that you are one of our customers and stop whining for new features, for us to fix broken ones, or complaining that we don't answer your requests and engage in discussion with customers" attitude. In doing so, I discovered Toodledo -- and have never looked back.

Every now and then I check back with RTM only to discover that the product remains unchanged. Counter that with Toodledo, who has released tons of new features! And Toodledo respects its customers and acts accordingly.

I\\\'m off-topic here, but want to back-up what others had written.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010.
amiracam

Posted: Mar 25, 2010
thanks for the replies , I decided to give Toodledo a shot and subscribed to their Pro Plus offering, so will see how it works.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.