ForumsQuestionsThe length of the "Folder Name" field

The length of the "Folder Name" field
pako

Posted: Aug 26, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I prefer to have pretty long folder names for my tasks (usually it's something like "Project Name - Subcategory Name", for example "Example.com - Financial"). However, these names don't fit in the folder name field on the Folders page, which makes reordering the list very annoying (usually all I can see is the project name). Could you please make the field for folder name a little wider?
Colin A

Did you know that you can change the length of the field yourself (and re-order them)...see the post by Toodledo above my own in the following thread - hope this helps

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/90/-332/editing-tasks.html
Claudio

It seems to me that pako is referring to the folder names on this page: http://www.toodledo.com/folders.php

The field allows 32 characters but displays only 15.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008.
pako

Yes, I meant the folders.php page - the field really should display more characters.

By the way, that tip about reordering and resizing columns on the task list was very useful - it was yet another issue I had. Thank you Colin!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 27, 2008
I just made the folder name field on the folders page a little longer. Hopefully that will help.
pako

Posted: Aug 28, 2008
Thank you, that's much better :)
Will

Posted: May 27, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
I just made the folder name field on the folders page a little longer. Hopefully that will help.

It's still only 32 characters, which is waaaaay too short for me. I regularly need 150 characters or more.

Can you please increase the maximum folder name length to something much bigger (eg. 255), and also increase the display length wherever folders are shown?
Will

And why does Toodledo remove apostrophes from folder names??? (It allows other punctuation like slashes and ampersands...)
Anders

The apostrophe thing is weird. That must be a bug.
Michael

Posted by Will:
And why does Toodledo remove apostrophes from folder names??? (It allows other punctuation like slashes and ampersands...)

Pure conjecture here - but apostrophes often pose a danger of creating a SQL injection vector of attack against a site, so many developers just remove them from the get-go to avoid the headache (I know I do sometimes). Of course the proper(much better and safer) solution is to use prepared statements instead, but once something is written, it is unlikely to get fixed unless there is a burning need.

-M
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The folder naming convention was established very early on and it has just kinda stuck around. We should probably revisit that and loosen the constraints.

Thanks
lkpcampion

Posted: Jun 27, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
The folder naming convention was established very early on and it has just kinda stuck around. We should probably revisit that and loosen the constraints.

Thanks

May I know if there's any plan soon to increase the possible length of folder name?

GTD (or at least DA does in the old GTD Fast seminars) advocates for explicit & descriptive project names (so one doesn't have to think what the 'successful outcome' is for each project when they see the title).

The constraint really limits the GTD practice in this regard.

Campion
Vin Thomas

As a work around you could enter a brief project name and then spell it out in the notes section.
lite1

Posted by lkpcampion:
Posted by Toodledo:

Campion

I strongly recommend that you consider a Pro subscription. Most of us who adhere to at least 80% of GTD principles find that the ability to have Parent & Subtasks opens vast opportunities (not only for GTD) but any approach. Many but not all those with Pro (regardless of whether they follow GTD or not)choose to use Folders for areas of focus/responsibility; Parent tasks as projects and subtasks for the actions needed to accomplish the project.

Try the free Pro trial; at only $15/year if you are serious about using TD and GTD you will probably never look back. The limitation of Folder name length will drop by the wayside if you follow the above. DO some reading on the forum on handling projects both within the GTD subforum and elsewhere for ideas.

Edward
lkpcampion

Posted: Jun 28, 2009
Posted by lite1:
Posted by lkpcampion:
Posted by Toodledo:

Campion

I strongly recommend that you consider a Pro subscription. Most of us who adhere to at least 80% of GTD principles find that the ability to have Parent & Subtasks opens vast opportunities (not only for GTD) but any approach. Many but not all those with Pro (regardless of whether they follow GTD or not)choose to use Folders for areas of focus/responsibility; Parent tasks as projects and subtasks for the actions needed to accomplish the project.

Try the free Pro trial; at only $15/year if you are serious about using TD and GTD you will probably never look back. The limitation of Folder name length will drop by the wayside if you follow the above. DO some reading on the forum on handling projects both within the GTD subforum and elsewhere for ideas.

Edward

Thanks Edward,

I actually use TD together with PI iPhone.Both of these give me good implementation, and PI has been my favorite PIM program for long.

That said, I do acknowledge that the more 'program' or 'tools' I have (using PI + TD instead of just TD itself) gives rise to constraints. In this case, folders are sync to PI iPhone as projects & this gives me good overview of actions related to projects, while in another view by context.

That's the reason behind my using folder as projects - it'd be great if there'd be work-arounds.

Campion
lite1

Campion ... I don't use things in mobile env. so cannot comment other than that others on forum have used PI and given it up in favor of TDs native app for iPhone, so hopefully they might comment. However sticking with the two apps you already use and looking for workarounds might be best strategy giving your needs and goals.
Edward
lkpcampion

Thanks!

I'll stay with the current implementation for now. However, I do think it'll lift an unnecessary, while very significant, constraint to GTD practice by extending/removing the limits on folder name length. I wonder if there's anything special to folder name as compared to task that it can't be longer. I suppose it'd only have to do with data-structure - which hopefully can be improved too.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.