ForumsQuestions"esc" should function as "cancel"

"esc" should function as "cancel"
eykanal

Posted: Apr 14, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
The keyboard shortcuts are, for me, one of the most useful features of this website. Its what enables me to enter a new to-do in less than five seconds, which is exactly what I want from a task manager program.

I want to propose an extension to the site, which is probably already planned. The "esc" button currently doesn't seem to be mapped to much, if anything. I suggest that it be mapped to the "cancel" functionality in all cases where appropriate, including the following places:

- the "new task" form (shown after clicking the "add task" button in the to-do view)
- the quicksearch bar
- the notebook view, when a note is shown
- ...?

Note that I don't think it should be used to close the "sort", "collaborators", and "filter" bars, since those are "close", not "cancel", and having those present doesn't detract from the page functionality. The other stuff, though, takes over the keyboard and makes it so keyboard commands don't work, hence setting up "esc" as an escape (ha ha) would solve that problem.
davidlmontgomery

Posted: Apr 14, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I want this, too.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 15, 2010
Actually, if you experiment a bit you'll see that the ESC key does act as a cancel in some situations. Mostly for popup editable boxes (like editing the due-date or tag). We plan to make it work in more places too.
eykanal

Heh... I was trying to think of other places where it may work when I wrote that "...?" bit, because I was pretty sure I remembered a few places where it does act correctly.

My main beef is that if I've hit the "make a new task" shortcut ("n") and then decide I don't actually want to add a new task, I currently can't use the keyboard to switch views... I have to first use the mouse to click the "cancel" button. If the escape was mapped correctly here, it would save clicks.

Heck, in this vein, the "esc" key should be mapped on all pages - in absence of any other command - to blur focus from any item on the page, be it textbox, link, or whatever, so that I can continue to use the keyboard to navigate the site.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2010.
lite1

As a keyboard shortcut proponent as a more effective means of entry I agree with @eykanal request.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but these are on our to-do list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.