ForumsQuestionsOne of the most basic questions of all??

One of the most basic questions of all??
kentpavelka

Posted: May 17, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Please help me out here:

I'm trying to figure out the best way of handling repeating tasks relative to that task's check off box. Let's call it "Feed the Dog. I have "Feed the Dog" scheduled to repeat daily.

If I check off "Feed the Dog" on today's list, it will appear again on tomorrow's list...which is what I want it to do. But let's say I forget to "Feed the Dog". Seems like I must check that box on today's list in order for it to go away and not reappear as "Overdue". Or, I supposed I could delete it from today's list.

How do I deal with the "Feed the Dog" task on today's list when I don't do it. I don't want to check it off as being something I actually did (which is what it looks like if I check it off)...when in fact, I did not do it. I don't want it to appear like it's been done. I also don't want it appearing as "overdue".

So, the question is, how best to deal with tasks on a given day that I don't want to check off as "done"?

(Also, if I check off a task as done...which I actually did not do...it doesn't work to add a note to the task..such as: Did not do this task. That note appears on the task when it repeats the following day).

What am I missing?
kentpavelka

Let me add this: Another way to put it is that I want to be able to look at yesterday's tasks and see that there is an accurate record of what I did relative to "Feed the Dog"...not that it was checked off as being done (when it really wasn't).

Right now, I am forced to either check it off today's task list or delete it, so that there is no additional listing of it being overdue, when it repeats.

I guess I thought perhaps unchecked task items might just move from one day to the next day that it is scheduled to repeat. Guess not.

Very hard to explain so many of these little issues....Sigh...
Claudio

Well, first, this is definitely not "one of the most basic questions" so it's not surprising that you haven't figured it out on your own.

Take a look at "Due date modifiers" here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42

Specifically "Optionally on":

You can also designate a task as optional (abbreviated with a "?"). This acts like "=", but if the date passes and you have not completed the task, the task will be automatically removed, or moved forward if it is a repeating task.
kentpavelka

Thanks, Claudio...I will play with that!

What about the part about attaching a note to a completed task without that note showing up when the task is repeated.

Example: One of my daily tasks is to "Run". After I've done it, I want to have a record of the distance and time. Can't seem to do that as a "Note" without it showing up on future (repeats) "Run" tasks.
Claudio

The note is linked to the task and it carries over to all repeated instances of that task.

I don't know of a way of having a separate note for each instance of a repeating task.
kentpavelka

So, there's no way to have a record of details regarding a completed task...exclusive to a given day's history? (Other than it is checked off as having been done? Makes the notes a bit useless IMHO)

This message was edited May 17, 2010.
PeterW 

The only thing I can think of is to create a copy of the task rather than use the repeat feature. I do this from time-to-time. For example:

1. Before checking off the task that you've just completed, hover your mouse over the checkbox and select 'Clone this task'. A copy will be created.
2. Add notes to the first task as needed, then check it off as done.
3. Edit the cloned task, e.g. change the due date to tomorrow, add/change/remove notes, etc.

I know it's not as automated as using repeating tasks but given that you have to manually check off a task anyway, it's not too much more to create a copy for the following day/week/whatever.

This message was edited May 17, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.