ForumsQuestionsBeginner : several questions

Beginner : several questions
ju111

Posted: May 24, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

As a new user of TD, I have some questions:

1) Goals and tasks

I have entered several goals based on the following principle: a short-term goal is linked to a long-term goal, and each long-term goal is linked to a life goal. This works well. However, now when I enter a new task, I must choose the relevant goal in a very big list. I don't understand why I have "long-term goals" and "life goals" in this list, this is not needed if we consider that each short-term goal is linked to a long-term goal.
Is there a trick to hide long-term and life goals when we add a new task?

2) Subtasks and emails

Is it possible to add a subtask to a task by email?

3) Subtask and shortcut

Is there a way to add a subtask to a task by using a keyboard shortcut?

Thank you in advance for your help

regards
Quang

My comments on your questions. (hopefully a couple answers too)

Welcome to ToodleDo, hopefully you love it, like a lot of us.

1) I actually have mid-term/life goals that don't have short-term goals attached. For something like "Be a Good Boyfriend"...

Perhaps you have too many goals. I've seen that Toodledo's two core organizers are Folders and Contexts, these two seems to provide the most flexibility.

2) Not sure, but I know you can add tasks through twitter. But perhaps this is it. http://www.toodledo.com/connect_email.php

You can find out more widgets/gadgets here too:
http://www.toodledo.com/connections.php

3) Press N to open the new task tab, also you should check out Multi-Adding, or use a bookmarklet/browser add-on.

good luck.

This message was edited May 24, 2010.
Boxin

Hi there, I'm a newbie too, and two more questions here. Thank you.

1) Is there a shortcut to hide the navigation menu on the left? Besides, hope to have shortcuts to navigate the task list, for instant, next/previous task, (un)check a task, just like what we have with gmail.

2) Being able to customize task columns is great, can we have the same ability to do with tabs? There are 12 tabs under 'status', only seven of which I think I need to use often, so I like to move the seven tabs forward and together, especially I can't switch to the 'no-status' tab (placed 11th) through shortcut 0-9, moving that tab forward for quick access is very important to me.

Thank you.

This message was edited May 24, 2010.
Dave

@Boxin as for #1 there should be a little left arrow button that you can click to make the left navigation go away.

As for #2, I don't think you can change the status settings
Boxin

Posted by Dave:
@Boxin as for #1 there should be a little left arrow button that you can click to make the left navigation go away.

As for #2, I don't think you can change the status settings

Thanks for the answer, Dave. I saw that arrow button, but being a heavy keyboard user, I just perfer it can be done by a shortcut, in fact, I also hope to have shortcuts to navigate the task list, like next/previous task, (un)check a task, just like what we have with gmail.
Quang

Posted: May 25, 2010
#1 I believe these are the only shortcuts.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?search=shortcuts

#2 For the Tabs I use the Search view and create my own tabs. Which seems to work real well for me. And under "Account Settings" you can turn off the features you don't use.

Toodle is pretty overwhelming at first and there's a learning curve to it, since it's so customizable and comprehensive, but once you customize it and remove the features you don't use, it really becomes attached to you.
Claudio

Posted: May 25, 2010
Posted by ju111:
Is there a trick to hide long-term and life goals when we add a new task?
Is it possible to add a subtask to a task by email?
Is there a way to add a subtask to a task by using a keyboard shortcut?
Unfortunately, the answer to all three questions is "No".
Boxin

Posted: May 26, 2010
Posted by Quang:

#2 For the Tabs I use the Search view and create my own tabs. Which seems to work real well for me. And under "Account Settings" you can turn off the features you don't use.

Thanks Quang. Though it's just a workaround, better than nothing.
caron

Posted: Jun 11, 2010
I'm new and have a couple of questions also:
1. It seems that whenever I leave my tasks page and return to it, the format has changed and all my subtasks float from the main task. I then have to click on the task icons to get everything back in order again. Is there a way to make my changes stick each time I return to the task page?
2. I've discovered that sometimes after I have set a task or subtask I need to add a note with contact info or other information. I see I can edit a note I establish at the beginning of adding the task but I can't find a way to add a note after setting the task. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
1) Above your list, click "Subtasks: Indented"

2) Click the note icon, which is on the same row as the task. It will open up a box to edit or add a note.
caron

Thanks -- I ended up figuring out the subtasks on my own. However, I'm not seeing a note icon. There are three icons (star, add subtask, and action (I think). No note icon and no reference in the help section about icons.
PeterW 

If you're using multi-line view, the note icon is not displayed on the first (displayed) line. You have to expand the task to see this field (and others) by clicking on the blue arrow.

If you're using grid mode, the note icon will be the last one on the right hand side - you may have to scroll to see it. Although there is now an option to move the notes icon to the left-hand side (see: Account Settings - Shows Tasks As).
caron

Well, I feel like an idiot! I didn't even notice the scrolling on the bottom. I found it. Thanks. All good now ;)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.