ForumsQuestionsQuick add syntax?

Quick add syntax?
FlyingSaucrDude

Posted: Jun 01, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Are there any plans to enable some sort of quick add syntax for adding tasks (similar to RTM's Smart Add)? I've found a few posts also asking this, and the answer seems to be either:
a) It's a good idea, or
b) Just using the tab key to quickly navigate the add task dialog is sufficient

While (a) is great, it doesn't seem like it's turned into an actual feature. And I disagree with (b) -- using the tab key requires me to go through *every* field a task could have, whereas just using a quick add syntax (like the email/twitter syntax, even if it didn't auto-suggest things) would allow me to quickly enter only the field relevant to that new task.

I'm currently an RTM-pro user, but I just discovered TD and think it's far superior in every regard *except* this; I'd happily switch to TD, but unfortunately the ability to quickly add tasks using a syntax like this is make-or-break for me.

So...is there a chance this will actually get implemented? Or should I just give up on it?

Thanks in advance for the replies (and for the great product)!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
FlyingSaucrDude

Post retracted...thanks for the quick reply!

This message was edited Jun 01, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted: Jun 02, 2010
@FlyingSaucrDude:

Adding tasks in Toodledo is perhaps simpler than you think...

With keyboard shortcuts turned on, all it takes is 'n' to add a new task, type the task name and press <enter>. No need to tab through any other fields. Done.

And if you have a bunch of tasks to enter, you can use the multi-add feature which just reqires task names (each on a new line).
FlyingSaucrDude

@PeterW

Sure, but if I *do* want to fill in some of the fields when I add it, (say priority, but not anything else) then I have to tab through to the priority drop-down, instead of, say, just typing:
New task !!

I realize it's probably a minor thing to a lot of people, but the cognitive load is lower for me if I can just enter everything at once, instead of having to interact with a form to enter the right things. I didn't even realize what a difference it made until I started using RTM. Does this make sense?

Anyway, I'm glad it's on the devs' radars -- I look forward to switching to TD once this feature is implemented.
PeterW 

Yep, makes sense. Not something I need but I'm sure that many do. I used to use syntax to tasks sent via email but decided to just dump everything into Inbox (whether via email or directly entered) and sort it later when I am processing the Inbox (i.e. No Folder).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.