ForumsQuestionswhy is there a new "actions" icon?

why is there a new "actions" icon?
reckoner

Posted: Jun 08, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
it seems like the stuff that used to be embedded in the checkbox is now broken out of a separate "actions" box. This is personally annoying for me since I am very screen-width limited and the checkbox-embed method was much more parsimonious.

just my $0.02.
Linden

Posted: Jun 08, 2010
That's a reasonable point -- I can totally see where you're coming from.

On the other hand, the hover-wait-click combination linked to the checkbox did sometimes yield accidentally completed tasks for me. It was possible to uncheck the item again, but it was a delicate process and accidents lost time and added to frustration.

The hover-and-wait part of the old setup took time if I was manipulating a lot of tasks, too, where now you can just click the icon and get on with making changes.

Now that the notes icon can be moved to the left, one solution could be to move your least-referred-to column over at the far right, so it's not as important that your tasks run off the edge. I've got a bunch of columns that are useful for sorting and filtering, but I don't usually read them when I'm actually using my tasks. Maybe you do too?

Maybe there will be a fix-all when the more sweeping UI changes come along, that will solve the screen real estate issue in a more straight-forward way.

This message was edited Jun 08, 2010.
Andrew A

Posted: Jun 09, 2010
I think I like it...

While width can be an issue, it does not take up that much room (but of course, if you are already at the limits, 1 px more is 1 px too many!).

Wait and see for me, I just noticed it this morning so will need to see.
WT Sherman

This recent change made to the software also affects printing. I can no longer get my todo list to print on one line.
reckoner

Posted by Linden:

Now that the notes icon can be moved to the left, one solution could be to move your least-referred-to column over at the far right, so it's not as important that your tasks run off the edge. I've got a bunch of columns that are useful for sorting and filtering, but I don't usually read them when I'm actually using my tasks. Maybe you do too?

This is a good idea, except that the item I most often use is the "notes" icon, which evidently cannot be moved.

Thanks!

This message was edited Jun 09, 2010.
PeterW 

I'm happy with the new icon. I much prefer to click to bring up the menu rather than hover and wait. I often found myself right-clicking on the checkbox which then put the Windows context menu over the top of the Toodledo menu when it appeared. While some long-time Toodledoers might not like it, it's much simpler for newer users.

I would really like that 'hand' icon dealt with - it's just so damned bold and ugly (IMhO). I guess that falls into general UI enhancements which I do hope are coming. After trialling out a few other systems, TD does look so dated (but it still has better features overall).
Linden

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by reckoner:

This is a good idea, except that the item I most often use is the "notes" icon, which evidently cannot be moved.

Thanks!

Are you using Grid view, reckoner? If so, you can move the Notes to the left side of the page, now. (I had the same problem as you before.)

Go to the account settings, and edit the option labelled "Show Tasks as:". If you choose Grid, there's a checkbox underneath that moves the notes to the left.

Save it, and then you can start moving your less frequently used columns to the right where they can happily drift off-screen. :)

If you're using multiline view, I don't have enough experience to offer suggestions. :(

This message was edited Jun 09, 2010.
PeterW 

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Linden:
If you're using multiline view, I don't have enough experience to offer suggestions. :(

I can answer that one. In multi-line view, the Notes icon isn't displayed so there is no option to move it. A few of us have asked Toodledo if this icon could be displayed in multi-line view to save from having to expand the task to see if notes exist.
lite1

Posted: Jun 16, 2010
Personally I find this new interface a downgrade as it pushes the Notes icon even further away on my screen. TD has great flexibility in most areas so would love it if one had a choice of the horizontal order that the 4 icons and the Notes icon appear so have one can have their cake and eat to.

I use Notes icon for virtually all Parents and for probably 1/3rd of my Children. I am in and out of Notes probably 5 to 10 times before I am at the point of clicking a box to say that the item is completed, so personally a huge time saver for me would be to have Note icon at far left. I also rarely use Star (I know others rely on it daily/hourly), so again my wish for end user flexibility.
TheGriff_2

Part of the update was to allow you to reposition the note icon to the left of the screen. You do this from within your list settings under the settings menu.
lite1

Thx The Griff; After I posted I went to News and read what the update was about and how to use it. So glad to have that option.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.