ForumsQuestionsrepresenting for multiday todos

representing for multiday todos
eykanal

Posted: Jun 21, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I have a number of items on my todo list where the to-do will take longer than a day - fix up some presentation, prepare a section of a manuscript, etc. While each of these items DOES have a "due by" date (e.g., day of presentation, day for manuscript submission, etc), I'd like to have these show up on my daily list every day for a little while until I complete it.

As of now, toodledo doesn't have a way for having the item show up on the hotlist for a while and then be due at the final date. The one way I thought this would be feasible is to add a drop-down in the "due date and time" box, named "display <X> days before". The "X" would default to 0, meaning that the item would show up as "today's" to-do on the day it was due. However, if I wanted, I could set it to show up 14 days before it was due, and then it would appear on my to-do list as a "today" item every day for the 14 days leading up to the due date. You could even still have it listed as "due on <correct due date>", but this way it would still show up as a "today" thing.

That's my idea. This prevents something which you need to work on, but isn't due yet, not showing up on your todo list. This isn't an easy or intuitive thing to deal with, but its a common situation. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

p.s. - some folks may say "well, just add more tasks and break it up into more chunks until each chunk is one day's worth of tasks." My response is that not every task leads to being broken up in day-tasks. For example, I could have one task "write the first ten slides" and then another task "write the next ten slides", but that's neither useful nor a good use of my time... I'd spend all day writing to-dos. A todo list (for me, at least) is a reminder... if a very general reminder is all I need, then I don't want to have to make a lot of specific reminders just because my task manager requires it.
PeterW 

I guess you could create a repeating task with daily interval. Just check it off at the end of each day and it will be there the next day. Delete it when you're done.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You could use a start-date, or you could set your hotlist to show tasks due in the next 4 days (or any other number), which would cause it to appear 4 days before it was due, giving you time to work on it for several days.
eykanal

Posted: Jun 22, 2010
@Peter: Yeah, that would work, but checking it off is kind of a workaround, since it's not really done.

@Toodledo: That gets cumbersome when the task should be a daily task every day for three weeks (which I'm sure you've encountered with certain programming tasks; sometimes one item can take a while to do).

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 22, 2010
When I have a task that must be done every day for a few weeks, I usually mark it with a star so that it will appear on my starred list until I finish it. You could accomplish a similar thing by upgrading the priority so that it makes it onto your hotlist. Or, you could give it a special tag and search for it, or make it an optional repeating daily task and delete it when you are done with it. You could also create a saved search that finds all the tasks that apply to your situation. There are a bunch of different ways to do it, hopefully one of those will work for you.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.