ForumsQuestionsHide personal tasks when at work

Hide personal tasks when at work
Salgud

Posted: Jul 14, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I just started playing with Toodledo today, and it's pretty straightforward. Mostly. But I'd like for my personal tasks not to show when I'm at work, unless I want to look at them specifically. I tried clicking "Private" next to that folder in the Settings menu, but it did nothing. Is there a way to normally hide a folder, except when I want it to show? I know I could also do this with tags, but it seems that it should be possible to hide a particular folder. Is that so?
Scott

Score: 1 Reference
Most would do this with a context - an @home or @work context on your tasks keeps things separated nicely.

sb
Salgud

Thanks for your reply, I think. From my post:

" know I could also do this with tags, but it seems that it should be possible to hide a particular folder"

Does anyone know if there is a way to hide a folder temporarily?
Scott

Hide = no
Collapse = yes

Tags are not contexts (and contexts are not tags) - hence my suggestion to use contexts.

Way to make nice with people just trying to help you there skippy.

cheers
sb
Claudio

Posted: Jul 15, 2010
@spamboy6547,

You can't hide a folder temporarily. (You can Archive, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you want.)

For now, the best way of hiding personal tasks at work is by using Contexts or Tags and then filtering out the relevant tasks.
Salgud

So this would mean that I have to reapply that filter everytime I open my tasklist, and remove or change to another when I switch to doing personal tasks, which I frequently do on my lunch hour. Is that correct?
Claudio

The filters are "sticky". They will remain in place even if you exit Toodledo and then go back in. Changing from, say, Work to Personal is about as straightforward as you can expect: uncheck Work, check Personal.

Also, you can have different filters (and sort orders) for the various "View by" (i.e. Main, Folder, Context, Tag, etc.) but not for each tab within the view.

And, you could create your own Searches (using whatever fields you think are relevant) if you want to fine-tune your list.

FWIW, I use Contexts to filter Home/Work, and I use Tags for more specific filters.
Salgud

@Scott

I apologize if I was short in my reply. It was late, I was tired, etc, etc, felt your reply was merely reiterating what I had already eliminated as a viable solution to my problem.

In the cold light of day, I realized that in Toodledo, contexts are entirely separate from tags, as you tried to point out, and that they might be the solution I am looking for. I'm currently trying to use contexts to get what I need out of Toodledo.

I'll try to remember not to reply to posts at 10 pm in the future. Thanks for your suggestion.
Scott

Posted: Jul 19, 2010
No worries - I should follow that same advice myself. Hope you are still enjoying Toodledo - I"ve been a user for a long while now and while I've fallen off the task wagon a few times I always end up back here.

Cheers,
sb
Salgud

Posted: Jul 21, 2010
Just to follow-up on this thread.

I've been using contexts to get the lists I want, and solved that problem. I'm now having other issues, but I'll post those in other appropriate threads.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.