ForumsQuestionsslim sorting doesn't match full site

slim sorting doesn't match full site
Jerry

Posted: Aug 30, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
When I set the full and slim websites to sort by importance the lists aren't in the same order. They seem to agree as far as importance level but within each specific level the order is different.

While I'm at it can I force the slim site to default to sorting by importance?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
When sorted by any criteria (Importance for example) tasks that match on that criteria (Same importance) will be randomly sorted within that criteria unless you have selected second and third sort criteria. The slim website only supports 1 sort criteria, whereas the website supports up to 3, which is probably why they are sorting differently within each importance level.

It is not currently possible to pick a default sort criteria on the slim website, but this is on our to-do list.
Jerry

I verified that the website criteria is importance first and the other two set to auto.

I'm surprised that a random sort is allowed. That implies that any time I come to the website I can expect the sort order might be different? Really?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If two tasks are identical in the criteria that you are sorting by, then we don't have a way to further sort them. I suppose we could always sort by the task creation date as a 4th criteria, but this seems somewhat unnecessary to us. If the order within each importance block is important to you, then I suggest using the second and third criteria to further sort your list. If you pick a criteria that rarely has duplicates (like title) then the list will be consistently ordered from visit to visit.
Jerry

I still don't see why slim and full don't come out in the same order within a single category. Presumably the data is stored in some sort of database and is read out in same order by slim and full. If not this implies that slim/full read and/or the processes the data in different ways, leading to different orders. Adding 2nd/3rd sort criteria wouldn't help in this case.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Slim sorts by Importance and thats it. The main website sorts by Importance, and then Auto and then Auto, which is different. "Auto" usually defaults to some combination of due-date and priority depending on the circumstances. There currently is no second and third sort criteria for Slim, but we plan to add this. When we do, it will make the website and slim sort the same.
steford

Posted: Nov 28, 2010
Any chance of a simple parameter we can add to the end of the slim URL to trigger a sort eg ?sort=duedate. Would be quick and simple to implement and a nice workaround for now giving us some options for extensions/plugins etc. Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 29, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.