ForumsQuestionsToodledo Firefox extension and Gmail

Toodledo Firefox extension and Gmail
vegheadjones_1388757078

Posted: Nov 08, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I was very excited to use this extension to copy the url of specific e-mail messages (rather than do the extra steps of forwarding the e-mail). But it doesn't work, the copied link sends me to a blank screen.

It does work though when I manually copy and paste the url of a specific gmail url into the toodledo note section.

Any ideas?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 08, 2010
This is due to the way that gmail works. We will investigate to see if we can build in a work around for this in our next update.
vegheadjones_1388757078

Posted: Nov 09, 2010
Thanks-- looking very forward to it.

If any forumite knows a quick workaround please share.
piyush_soni

If you are really interested in copying the link by right clicking and saying 'ToodleDo this link', you will currently have to switch to the 'Basic HTML' version of gmail. In the fully loaded version (the 'Standard view') the email subjects are not actual 'links' so you cannot do that.
vegheadjones_1388757078

Thanks that does work. I wonder why, when I am in the standard view I can copy and paste a message thread url manually without a problem, but not use the automated "Toodledo a page"
piyush_soni

@ToodleDo,
This is not the case with just gmail. Any frame you click on, I guess your add-on will not add the page link, but the frame url there. And considering your Context Menu item says 'ToodleDo this page' and not 'ToodleDo this frame', I guess most of the users would want the page URL there.

@jonrochkind,
If you are ready to spend 5 minutes for this, you can easily modify their add-on for your needs:
1). Right click ToodleDo's add-on link on http://www.toodledo.com/widget/firefox_plugin.php, click Save link as (i.e. download the xpi file)
2). Change the extension of the xpi to zip by renaming, then unzip that in a folder.
3). Go into its chrome/content directory and make this change in the file toodledo.js - replace the original definition of function Toodledo_getCurrentPage() by this:

function Toodledo_getCurrentPage() {
var focusedWindow = document.commandDispatcher.focusedWindow;
var win = focusedWindow;
while(win.parent && win != win.parent)
win = win.parent;
return win.location.href;
}

4). After fixing this, select all folders and files together again, right click->Send to->Compressed (zipped) folder. Change extension of the zipped file again to .xpi (basically doing reverse of unzipping)
5). Drag this xpi to Firefox to install the changed add-on.

This message was edited Nov 09, 2010.
vegheadjones_1388757078

@piyush_soni Thanks so much. Your steps were easy to follow but I am stuck on #5-- I'm on Windows XP where do I put the changed add-on?
piyush_soni

You just drag it on the open Firefox window. It will ask to install as any other add-on.
vegheadjones_1388757078

Looks like I have a drag and drop problem that only changing the registry will fix (see http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=5242 )

I'm not gonna go there. If you know of an alternative way to get this on firefox (through cutting and pasting) please let me know, otherwise thans so much fo rthis and @toodledo, I hope this fix comes soon!
piyush_soni

Oh wow.
Anyway, you don't need to drag.

You can also go to firefox and say File->Open File. Browse to the xpi.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
piyush_soni: Thanks! We'll get this patch in the next update.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.