ForumsQuestionsSuggestion: hide the redundant column

Suggestion: hide the redundant column
Steve

Posted: Nov 22, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Most of the time, there is one redundant column. If your main view is "Contexts", and you've selected "home" as your context, then there's no point showing the Context column: every single task will have "home". The same goes for folder, and probably lots of other things.

What's particularly weird/annoying is that if you try and hide that column, you actually lose the functionality: if you hide the Context column, then you can't even filter by Context.

Seems like a pretty easy fix.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If the context column was hidden when viewing a context, then it wouldn't be possible to move a task to a different context.
PeterW 

Posted by Steve:
What's particularly weird/annoying is that if you try and hide that column, you actually lose the functionality: if you hide the Context column, then you can't even filter by Context.

You might want to try 'multi-line' view. This just shows a single line for every task with two fields: the task name and the primary sort field (which for me is due date). Oh and you can see the star field too.

All other fields are hidden but accessible by the arrow button which turns on the multi-line view for that task. I found grid view too visually distracting and like the issue you raise, you then see fields you don't necessarily want to see.

Give it a try - you can also then reduce your browser window size.
Steve

Posted: Nov 23, 2010
>If the context column was hidden when viewing a context, then it wouldn't be possible to move a task to a different context.

Interesting point. But:
1) For me, at least, that use case would never happen. A work task becoming a home task? Impossible.
2) It could still show up in the "multi-line" view.
3) This setting could be changed through a flag, so in the rare event of wanting to change a context, you could switch the flag, move it, then switch it back.

Btw, PeterW, I do sometimes use the multi-line view. Each view has its own benefits.

Steve
Salgud

Posted by Steve:
>If the context column was hidden when viewing a context, then it wouldn't be possible to move a task to a different context.

Interesting point. But:
1) For me, at least, that use case would never happen. A work task becoming a home task? Impossible.
Steve

This may come as a shock, so brace yourself. There are others of us using TD also! Some of us weirdos might be using it differently than you. :)
kathy

Posted by Steve:
Most of the time, there is one redundant column. If your main view is "Contexts", and you've selected "home" as your context, then there's no point showing the Context column: every single task will have "home". The same goes for folder, and probably lots of other things.

Seems like a pretty easy fix.

I thought of this just this last week. But then I realized it isn't redundant for one case that I personally use.

When I sort by due date/time, it shows the actual due date - which is different when it gets to the categories of beyond, today and tomorrow (the next 7 days, etc.). So, then it's not redundant.

I'll have to try the multi-line view that others suggested. Because there is some other data that would be useful for me.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.