ForumsQuestionsLists?

Lists?
Jon_R

Posted: Nov 07, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I am trying to find the "all-in-one" solution that will handle tasks along with lists - even if the list support was so basic that you are just able to enter things in on it. I am using a iPod Touch as a basic PDA (patiently waiting PocketInformant to come out for a good PIM) so I will be using the iPhone/Touch app.

How are people making lists within ToodleDo? Example would be putting together a shopping lists that can be tied to a specific task - or even a list that is not assigned to a task.

Is this something that people are doing with ToodleDo or are most using a separate list program as well?
Kevin

Posted: Nov 07, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
I'm using Zenbe Lists for lists. I don't want, for example, a list of grocery items included in my Task lists. I agree it would be nice to have it in a single interface, but I wouldn't want them to be mixed. Zenbe is very good, though -- and free.
Jon_R

Posted: Nov 08, 2008
I will take a look at Zenbe Lists. I am hoping that there are a few people that are using ToodleDo that will share how they create and use lists. I would rather not run two apps to take care of this and hoping I can do this with ToodleDo.
Jon_R

Posted: Nov 09, 2008
Anyway to get this moved to Tips & Tricks forum? Might be a better place for it.

Thanks
gn1sxn102

Yeah, Im also interested in how people are managing lists. I assume the only options are either attaching a note to the task or as an entry in the notebook. Neither work very well as you cant check items off. So it seems a 3rd app is required! Share with us how you are managing lists please!

This message was edited Nov 09, 2008.
jebanks

I am currently using an iPhone app called Outliner from the developer CarbonFin for my lists. (I also use Appigo's Todo and Notebook to access and sync Toodledo.com info.)

Outliner is a good, quick program that I use for shopping lists which would be cumbersome in Toodledo.com/Todo/Notebook. The outlines are stored on the iPhone. List items in Outliner can either have checkboxes or not on an item by item basis, giving it the flexibility to be used for outlines, simple lists and simple workflows or steps.

Outliner has a free, password-protected site called Outliner Online that allows you to sync your outlines to their server, view (but not yet edit) outlines on a desktop, and import/export outlines from/to your desktop in the OPML format. So, although you can't use Outliner Online to sync directly to a desktop app, you can import and export your outlines to programs like OmniOutliner for Mac and Bonsai for Windows, which can import/export using OPML.

This program would be perfect for my needs if a) it could sync directly with something on the desktop, or b) if one could edit outlines on their Web server; and c) if Outliner Online offered encryption along with the password-protection. I don't want my sensitive info online without extra security.

I don't care if someone sees my shopping list, however, and Outliner is great as an iPhone-centric shopping list manager. And if you use your device to take hierarchical notes or to informally outline projects or workflows, it's a great outlining program that can import/export to desktop outlining programs.

For shopping, I enter individual items with checkboxes that I can check off as I shop. I also have a Reference section in my shopping list, without checkboxes; here, I store information on items I typically buy, and measurements and other info that would be handy as I shop. The Reference section items don't have checkboxes. I can show or hide any part of the Reference section by expanding or collapsing that part of the outline/list.

If you're interested, here's their website (note that the main page has not yet been updated with a couple of new features available in v1.3 of the program; look at the Version History page or their page in iTunes for that information.):

http://carbonfin.com/index.html
KatBoy

Posted: Nov 10, 2008
I'm also using Zenbe for shopping lists and other, personal stuff that I don't want to put into ToodleDo. Like ToodleDo, the developers are enthusiastic and improving all the time. And it meets my absolute must-have criteria - syncing from web account to my iPhone.

I use it for things like supermarket lists - tick things off as they are purchased and then unticking when I'm checking cupboards prior to next shop. The lists can be re-used endlessly; also good for Holiday Packing, Movies I'd Like to See, Gym Bag Essentials, Meat in My Freezer, Wish List (I cultivate this all year and cash in at Xmas). One thing missing which would make it perfect is sub-categories. So, for example, Supermarket list could be separated by aisle, type, etc. And my holiday packing would be reduced to 10 minutes if I could list it like this:

Bedroom: Clothes and Shoes
Kitchen: Vitamins and herbal teas
Office: Passport and camera
Jon_R

Posted by BoyOhBoy:
I'm also using Zenbe for shopping lists and other, personal stuff that I don't want to put into ToodleDo. Like ToodleDo, the developers are enthusiastic and improving all the time. And it meets my absolute must-have criteria - syncing from web account to my iPhone.

I use it for things like supermarket lists - tick things off as they are purchased and then unticking when I'm checking cupboards prior to next shop. The lists can be re-used endlessly; also good for Holiday Packing, Movies I'd Like to See, Gym Bag Essentials, Meat in My Freezer, Wish List (I cultivate this all year and cash in at Xmas). One thing missing which would make it perfect is sub-categories. So, for example, Supermarket list could be separated by aisle, type, etc. And my holiday packing would be reduced to 10 minutes if I could list it like this:

Bedroom: Clothes and Shoes
Kitchen: Vitamins and herbal teas
Office: Passport and camera

I have been playing around with Zenbe the last couple of days and it seems like a great list program - I just dislike that I use so many apps at this time for different things. It would be great if lists could be a function added to a feature rich To-Do app like Toodledo.
KatBoy

Buckethead
I understand and had the same thoughts when I started using an iPhone a few months ago. I bought 10 different list/to-do apps trying to find one perfect one, but ended up compromising with two. But, before that, I had lists in Word, Excel, Outlook tasks, txt files, yellow stickies, my trusty note book, etc etc etc. So refining and organising has been fun and, using the best tool for the job, I am now much more efficient and spend less time keeping lists, worrying about lists, having lists in the wrong place, etc. I use ToodleDo for most things, Zenbe for shopping lists and iXpensit for keeping tabs on my spending (which makes that boring job fun).

Good luck with finding your perfect solution.
BoyOh
michael.emery

Posted: Nov 11, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
For shopping lists I use the iPhone ToDo App from Appigo in conjunction with ToodleDo.

I have a folder called "Shopping", and I use the quick add feature on To Do to add a new item to this folder on my iPhone. Using Quick Add means you only have to type the name of the item and no other details. It's great and works perfectly well.

If you use the RTM (Remember The Milk) service instead of ToodleDo, then you share the same list with someone else who has an iPhone, so each time one of you adds an item to your shopping list (or any other shared list) then synchronise, it will then appear on both iPhones. Very handy when you want your partner to pick up a few treats for you at the supermarket.

If you hold out a bit longer, ToodleDo are promising to add the same list (folder) sharing functionality that RTM has. ToodleDo have said it's the number one requested item on their development list. Fingers crossed it will be out soon because I prefer the ToodleDo web interface WAY more than the RTM one (especially when it comes to adding notes).
joey.l.williams

Posted: Nov 12, 2008
I would find list functionality useful too.

A clumsy way of managing list that I have not tried would be to add list items as tasks but set them well into the future. You can then change your account settings not to show tasks whith due date is in the x months in the future.

Not ideal I know. I would be keen to have a list feature that could hang off a task and be reused for other tasks - that would be neat.
Aamy

Posted: May 25, 2009
[Deleted for cross posting in over a dozen topics. Please stay on topic and don't spam.]

This message was edited May 25, 2009.
James T

Posted: Sep 03, 2009
One way you might make this work is to have a folder called lists. Then use tags to seperate each list.

You could group by Tag while in your list folder to see all the lists seperately.

Depending on how you view your normal to-do tasks, you might be able to assign a special status or something so they don't show up in your normal list of to-do's.

I haven't tried this yet, but may give a try. I too am looking for a good list solution for web/iphone and nothing really seems to give me the perfect solution.

James
Anders

Posted: Sep 03, 2009
I use a Folder called "Lists" and use a parent task for each list with subtasks as the list items. I've been using Reference status to hide them, but I'm thinking about changing that to negative 1 Priority.
enkerli

Posted: Oct 15, 2009
Found this thread while searching for "OPML."
I'm something of an outline geek. I do everything in outliners.

Been using OmniOutliner for quite a while and am currently using CarbonFin Outliner (version 2.0, released recently, does support editing directly from the website).
I'm thinking about moving my content over to ToodleDo. The two things which give me pause are:
a) ToodleDo has limited support for hierarchical structures
b) there's no obvious way to import/export OPML files to and from ToodleDo

Any insight on either of these?
Anders

Posted: Oct 15, 2009
Well, for your first point there is really not much to say. Toodledo is not really designed for outlining. There is one level of subtasks, and you can work in further hierarchy using Folders or Goals or something like that. Toodledo has said they plan to add at least one more level, but it is not an outlining tool.

For the OPML issue, you would have to do some testing. Since it is an XML format, there may be some way to convert an OPML file to import through Toodledo's XML import tool. It is not supported in any way that I am aware of, and for all I know could be quite complicated, but if you have some idea of what you are doing, you may be able to set up some dummy tasks on Toodledo, and then use the XML export file as a template for what you want to turn your OPML file into. The other way to go would be to convert your OPML file into a CSV file for import to Toodledo. I have seen a lot of OPML/CSV converters, but I have never used any so I can't give you any recommendations, but with some experimentation, you might find a tool that does the trick.
Edit: Also, I have used Excel to open XML files, and save them as CSV. I have not done this with an OPML, but it does work with similar types of files.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.