ForumsQuestionsIs it possible to save a custom list for later ?

Is it possible to save a custom list for later ?
Novacom Experts

Posted: Dec 08, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Example : before leaving on vacation, I can check each items and pull it back on my next vacation ?

How can I do this ?
piyush_soni

Posted: Dec 08, 2010
This is just one of the ideas, people might come up with better ones.
I see you are a Pro subscriber so can use sub tasks.

1). As a one time operation, create a task called (something like) 'VacationTasks' and create all your actual to-dos for vacation as sub tasks of that.
2). Keep it in a new Context called 'Templates', which you always keep hidden.
3). Then, whenever you are planning to go on a vacation, Just unhide that context, 'Clone' VacationTasks and start finishing your to-dos :) - your original VacationTasks will always stay there.

If you don't want to create the Contexts and do the hiding and stuff, as a Pro Plus subscriber you also get lifetime of completed tasks. You can still Clone a completed task having sub-tasks and start all over again by unchecking that.
Purveyor

Posted: Dec 09, 2010
I do something similar but I don't create subtasks -- I just assign all the tasks to the context "Vacation".

Also, I don't need to keep track of my preparation of previous vacations so, after the vacation, I use Search and Multi-edit to un-check all the Vacation tasks and now I have a fresh start for the next vacation.
Salgud

Again, I do it a little differently. I have a folder called "Templates", with all the repeating projects in it. I have subtasks, so each project is a parent task with appropriate subtasks. When I want to do one of my projects, I simply clone the parent task and change it's name to be project specific and move it to another folder. Finally, I give it a unique tag, so I can search on that tag if I want to isolate and multi-edit the entire project later. Then I go in and set start and finish dates for the individual tasks, so they show up on my "Today" list when they are scheduled to start, like my other tasks.

Just one other way to handle repeating projects in TD.
Purveyor

As I mentioned, I don't need to track everything that I did to prepare for my previous vacations so I don't use a template, but I might as well tell the whole story ...

I have a separate Toodledo account just for trips: vacations, business trips, and weekend visits with family.

I wanted to keep track of everything that I need to prepare and pack, and I wanted a separate list for my wife's items. (She has a Toodledo account that she uses for her day-to-day activities.) Also, I wanted to track the "essentials" -- those things that I need for every trip -- versus those things that depend on the nature of the trip and the season. For example, I need my sunscreen and swim trunks when I am going to Aruba on vacation, but I need my laptop computer and winter boots when I am going to Calgary for business in the winter. And, for longer trips, I wanted to keep track of where everything is packed: which suitcase and which smaller container (eg. toiletry case) in the suitcase.

I needed new contexts, folders and tags, and I found that it was too confusing within my regular Toodledo account. Much better with a separate account. Also, on my iPhone, I use the Toodledo app as my main task manager and I use the Appigo Todo app for trips, each app synced to a different Toodledo account. (Would have been nice to stick with just the Toodledo app but it doesn't handle two accounts simultaneously, and you can't have two instances of the same app on an iPhone.)

BTW, preparing for a trip is now much easier and less stressful. When first using this system, I still forgot a few items, but with each trip, the list got better, and now, when I am walking out the door at the start of the trip, I am confident that I haven't forgotten anything. It's amazing how many times in the past I forget something "obvious". Yeah, some things you can buy when you arrive at your destination but it can still be a nuisance.

And, as I said in my other post, I use the online Search and Multi-edit function to clear all my checked items at the end of the trip so I start with a fresh list of uncompleted tasks on my next trip. I can see, though, how some people would prefer to use a Template with subtasks and Clone the parent task to create a new list for each trip, and still keep the previously completed tasks.

This message was edited Dec 09, 2010.
Novacom Experts

Great ideas !

Thanks for all the input. I will try these "templating" solutions and give some feedback about them.

Francis
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.