ForumsQuestionsHow do shortcuts work?

How do shortcuts work?
Salgud

Posted: Jan 13, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I know I posted about this a long time ago, but I can't find that post.

I can't get keyboard shortcuts to work reliably, yet I see others that say they use them all the time. How is this possible? There has to be some trick to get them "activated". I mean beyond turning them on in Settings, which I have done.

If I click on a tab in any view, say "Starred" or "Today", then hit "n", nothing happens. I don't get the New Task dialog. But later on, when I'm doing something else entirely, I hit "n" and the new task dialog appears. WTF?

What I also want is to be able to open the New Task dialog from my launcher (Executor). If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 13, 2011
The keyboard shortcuts will only work if the webpage has "focus" which means that key presses are being sent to the page. Usually, this means that you have to click somewhere on the page first, and then keyboard shortcuts will work until you click elsewhere.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for your reply.

I've been playing with it more, and have figured out that I have to expand a task (I work in multi-line mode) before the shortcut keys will work. Just clicking on the page doesn't work. Is this a limitation of my browser (IE7) or is this always true?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 14, 2011
You may have a funny plugin or something that causes a conflict. Usually, clicking anywhere on the page will work, but IE7 is probably the worst browser that we support right now, so it might be a little flakey. I'll look into it.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 18, 2011
Thanks! Not fond of IE7 myself.
Stefiboy

Posted: Jan 26, 2011
I am using Firefox 3.6 and I have the same problem. It's not very comfortable having to use the mouse to (re-)enable keyboard shortcuts (too much time and energy wasted).

I use the LoL Plugin for Firefox now and configured the ESC button to blur (unfocus) from all elements/links. So now, when I want to use a shortcut, I simply click ESC before. No need to use the mouse anymore.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.