ForumsQuestionsSNOOZING

SNOOZING
kahfour

Posted: Feb 07, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Just purchased the Toodledo app for my new iPhone 4. IS THERE REALLY NO SNOOZE FUNCTION????? This is beyond frustrating.
Salgud

It's on "the list".
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The alarms are handled by Apple. Our app isn't even running when the alarms go off, so we have not control over snoozing. Apple will need to make a snooze function, and I am sure that they are working on this. It is a common complain about iOS.
francois.dumas

Posted: Mar 16, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I was hoping for this to be in iOS 4.3 released last week, but I don't think it is, is it?

Even if push alarms are out of Toodledo's control, I think something could still be done.

The current Toodledo functionality is almost there, whereby we can click "Close" or "View" which takes us directly to the task.
But once there, we have to either set a new "Due Time" or "Reminder" value (if it is not already set to the minimum of "~1 min").
This is a bit too many clicks for a task I may have to snooze often (i.e. something I need to do during working hours like "Book dentist appointment" but may not have time to do immediatly when I get reminded about it).

What I would like to see on that "View" screen, is a "Snooze" section where I can simply and quickly click "5 min", "10 min" "30 Min","1 Hour" (ideally from a configurable ilst... but that's just a nice-to-have). I cklick, and we're done!

Have a look at "Bug me" (you can get "Bug Me lite" for free). I sometimes use it for quickly scribbling hand written reminders. I really like the snooze function.

Keep up the good work! I'm new to the iPhone app but I've been a Toodledo Pro subscriber for 2 years and I love it! :)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
piyush_soni

I sometimes wonder when almost every suggestion gets a 'Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe but it's on our to do list', what does just 'Thanks for the suggestion' mean. :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 17, 2011
I usually type that shorter one by hand if I have already responded to the suggestion previously and am following up on additional comments.
Mark Ottaway

Posted: Mar 25, 2011
Hi Toodledo guys. I'd just like to add my "+1" vote to this issue.

I'm a Pro subscriber and facing a renewal decision fairly soon. I really love Toodledo and have converted many people to it.

HOWEVER this issue is probably my single biggest gripe with Toodledo - having no snooze on mobile is a major obstacle to it being as useful as it should be for Getting Things Done!

When I'm at my desktop no problem, as I integrate with Outlook and can snooze the reminders. But handling important alerts on mobile when I'm away from my desk is a pain. E.g. When you're in the middle of a meeting and don't have time to go and set up another Toodledo Task just because you've received a reminder. Far too much tapping and typing to be possible.

I know Apple are a right royal pain in the ... neck and the alert functionality (lack of) is a major issue on iOS in general.

However, with respect, I think it's a bit of a cop-out to just blame Apple and do nothing.

As has pointed out in numerous threads in the forum, there would be ways of quickly entering the app from the alert and creating a new reminder based on that. Other apps are able to do this already pretty well and make up for Apple's shortcomings until they sort themselves out (if ever!).

My 5c ... !

Cheers,
Mark
kris

Posted: Apr 27, 2011
Another case for creating snooze functionality sooner than later is for use while driving. If I counted correctly, it would take a minimum of 4 clicks to reset the due time on a task. Aside from the inconveniences mentioned by others, that's not a huge hassle when you're not driving, but 4 clicks can be dangerous when you're driving. Now, I know the safe answer to that is to not be using your phone while driving at all, but the reality is that me and most others will be using their phone in the car. For instance, I have a long commute home and sometimes need a reminder to pick something up on the way home, but depending on traffic and thus how long it takes to get home, I may need to snooze a reminder so I don't forget. So, I would hope that helping us to be as safe as possible would be a priority.

On a related note, is there some sort of road map where we can see what is on "the list" and what is actually being worked on? I know that priorities change, but it would be nice to know what's coming up.

I've tried a lot of other task apps and I keep coming back to this one. Keep up the good work.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 27, 2011
Snoozing is still on our to-do list, but for the most part, we are waiting for Apple to solve this problem since snoozing should be an iOS feature for alarms, not a per-app feature.
j2020

Posted: Apr 28, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
but for the most part,we are waiting for Apple to solve this problem since snoozing should be an iOS feature for alarms, not a per-app feature.

I have other apps that have a snooze feature (For example: "Alarmed" and "Reminders!"). Both run in the background and have pop-up messages and audible alarms that can be snoozed with a single button for user-defined intervals. How is Toodledo different from these apps?

Reading your post more closely, it sounds like what you are saying is that you actually could create a snooze function now, but instead have chosen to wait for Apple to do it. Am I misunderstanding?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 28, 2011
When an alarm appears, it has two buttons. A cancel button on the left and a button on the right that Apple allows developers to rename. Regardless of what that button is named, it will always do the same thing, which is to launch the app. We have named the button "View task", but the other apps you have mentioned have named the button "Snooze". It doesn't matter what it is named because the button will just cause the app to open when you tap it.

Once the app is open, the app can do whatever it wants. The other apps that you have mentioned have a single purpose, so they can take over the entire screen to present you with big buttons for rescheduling the alarm. Toodledo is a different kind of app and we have chosen to display the task's details instead because we figure people want to see the details of the alarm. You can always reschedule the alarm by tapping on it and picking a new value. This may be 1 or 2 taps more than with the single-purpose apps, and we may not have a big button labeled "Snooze", but it does the same thing in the end.

What we really need is for Apple to overhaul the alarm system. It has a lot of problems. For example, there is no record of past alarms. So if you get multiple alarms in a row, only the last one will be displayed. This is something that Apple should solve.
j2020

Posted: Apr 29, 2011
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.