ForumsQuestionsOptionally due tasks not bumping forward?

Optionally due tasks not bumping forward?
M

Posted: Feb 08, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I apologize -- sometimes I think I'm the only one who wants to do things with my to do list the WAY that I want to do them -- but that's why I love TD -- it can usually accomodate me.

I'm still foggy on optional due dates. I have a task set to repeat every 4 days. It was originally input with an optional due date of 2/7/11 (yesterday).

1) Why is it in my list, today, with a due date of ?Yesterday? It *does* have a due TIME -- does this affect the processing?

2) I'm not sure what I EXPECT to happen when it does "skip" -- what I'd really like is for it to remain "due today" until I check it, then go another 4 days into the future (it repeats from completion). I am guessing that it will, instead, "skip" to 4 days from the due date (yesterday). Am I right? Any way to achieve what I EXPECTED rather than what I GUESS? This is very similar to my previous question about my sat/sun optional tasks, so I'm expecting to have to work within the limitations, but just want to try to understand it better.

Thanks!
M
Jake

Toodledo Founder
An optional task that repeats every 4 days from completion date will jump forwards by 4 days when the due-date passes. Essentially, when a due-date passes for an optional task, it is marked as completed just as if you had marked it as completed except that it does not appear in your history as a completed task for that day. I do not think that it is possible to have a task roll forward from day to day until you complete it and then jump forwards by 4 days. My suggestion is to avoid making it optional and allow the task to remain overdue. When you complete it, it will move forwards by 4 days.

I don't know exactly why you have an optional task that is overdue. This shouldn't happen. Can you please check to make sure that your timezone is set correctly so that we know when to move them forward for you.
M

Your answers are always so simple and logical, and yet I never think of them.

I hate that.

My timezone is correct.

Thank you AGAIN
M

Posted: Mar 08, 2011
Related but not identical follow-up: I have daily recurring tasks that are OPTIONALLY due each day. I do NOT automatically synch my ipod to Toodledo -- I do it manually.

I did NOT check off the task yesterday. This a.m., it shows as overdue (as previously stated, my TIMEZONE settings are all correct). I manually synch. It *still* shows as overdue.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? This does not always happen, with my daily tasks -- just sometimes! Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 09, 2011
The website is responsible for moving the optional tasks forward, so all you need to do (If I understand correctly) is to sync your iPod and the overdue optional task will get updated.
M

That is what I expected -- but that is what is NOT working. I synch the day after I "missed" checking off the task, and it does not "roll forward" a day. It stays overdue.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
What happens to the task on this website? Does it roll forward or stay put?
M

Posted: Jun 10, 2011
I apologize for missing this until now. Today, a big group of "optionally due daily" tasks did NOT roll forward. I synched, on my iPod (which usually corrects it) and they did not roll forward. I checked them on the website, and they're still due "?Yesterday". I try to always log into the website when this happens "en masse," like this, to see if anyone else is reporting the problem -- but it seems to just be me!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 10, 2011
Is your timezone still set correctly in your account settings?
M

Posted: Jun 25, 2011
Yes, timezone is correctly set. Sorry for the delay, but this still happens -- not ALL of the time (sometimes my optionally due tasks roll forward correctly), but some of the time. Today, for example, I have a number of tasks with a due date of ?Yesterday, despite synching my iPod and checking after that on the website.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 27, 2011
Its possible that the iPod or something else that is syncing with your account is rewinding the tasks to a previous date, this bypassing the auto-fowarding that is done at midnight.

For example, if you edited the task on the iPod by changing the priority but did not complete the task, then the website would move the task forward, but the iPod would then edit the task and set the due-date back to what it was when you edited the priority. To get around this, try to remember to sync your iPod before you make any changes at the start of the day.
M

Posted: Aug 22, 2011
This happened to a big bunch of my optionally due weekend tasks, today. I didn't complete the tasks on Sunday (when they were optionally due.) I turned on my iPod on Monday and, in Toodledo, synched. The tasks did NOT roll to today. I hadn't been on Toodledo *web* AT ALL. I even synched again, thinking - okay, it's been updated on the website, now I need to resynch to bring it back down to my iPod -- but it didn't update.

Am I really the only one experiencing this? That, of course, makes me think it's operator error, but I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 26, 2011
Can you please create a support ticket for this so that we can look into your account and see what the problem is?

Thanks
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.