ForumsTips & TricksTags vs Folders

Tags vs Folders
bikdave

Posted: Jan 07, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Does anyone have any thoughts about using tags vs folders?

At first I started to create folders for grouping tasks for different customers I'm working with but then decided using a tag would be just as easy because the tag basically creates a virtual folder.

Right now I have a context set up for "Home" and "Work." The only folder I've created is one for "Home Projects" in which I have tasks and tagged each task with the room needing work.

One downside is that when you go to the "tags" view, you see all tags from all contexts even if you filter based on a context.

Just curious as to what some different organizing strategies are.

Thanks!

Dave
davek

Posted: Jan 08, 2009
I have contexts for work, home, shop (shopping list) and use folders for work related categories (General, ProfessionalDevelopment, ProjectManagement, etc)

I've assigned a tag "Review" to highlight todos which I'll want to remember at performance review time. Allows me to filter these out after a download of all completed tasks.

To me, one advantage of Folders over tags is that folders are structured. As tags are free flowing text, spelling errors or forgetting conventions may cause todos to be missed in filters.

<disclaimer> I'm a relatively new user of toodledo, so there may be better ways of doing things.
Blake

Posted: Jun 15, 2009
For me the key difference is that one task can be tagged multiple times, whereas a task can only be in one folder at a time. So, if I have a task that needs to be brought up with different people - maybe one supervisor, one committee, and one employee that I supervise, I can put a tag for each on it and it will show up on each person/groups list.
Proximo

Posted: Jun 22, 2009
Tags will give you more flexibility if you need for a task to be associated with multiple places or people.

Folders are more static and can be used for:

1. Areas of focus, such as "Work" and "Home".
2. Individual Projects.

Due to the flexibility of Toodledo, each one of these can be used in other ways as well.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.