ForumsTips & TricksToodledo Dark

Toodledo Dark
Anders

Posted: May 12, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
This is really the continuation of some thoughts from another thread which may have been in "questions", but I'm not sure, can't find it, and it probably fits better here anyway.

It was mentioned that a dark background for Toodledo would be nice to have for tired eyes, as well as battery savings. The Inky theme is nice, but not truly a dark theme. I found a Firefox addon-based solution that I have been using for some time, but hesitated to post since it has one major drawback, but I have been unable find anything better. You can achieve a similar look simply through Firefox's "fonts and colors" settings, but I cannot find a way for them to be page-specific.

What I am using is a Firefox addon called "Invert Colors". It is listed as experimental, but I have had no glitches with it. The one problem is that addons are not allowed to run while a page is loading, so your wonderfull dark screen will brighten up to normal for a second every time it reloads. However, it is better than nothing IMO.

There are a number of different ways of setting it up with different default Toodledo themes, but here is what I am doing:

Account settings:
1)Set the Toodledo theme to Inky.

Invert Colors settings
2)Set the Toodledo page to "Always Invert Colors" so you don't even have to have the addon turned on, and can use it just for Toodledo for example.
3)Set the Toodledo page to "Never hide background images" so you don't lose check boxes, etc.

That's it. You can actually turn Invert Colors off now if you don't want to use it for other sites.

I would be interested to know if anyone uses Stylish, and if so, knows of any good downloadable dark styles that work well on Toodledo. However, I wonder if, as another addon, Stylish will also cease to function during reloads.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has any other tricks for achieving a "Toodledo Dark", Firefox-based or otherwise. I wish the guys who make "Google Redesigned" would do a style for Toodledo.

~Anders

Edit: BTW, here is the developer's site: http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/invertColors.html
And of course you can also find it on the official addons page.

This message was edited May 12, 2009.
Vin Thomas

Posted: May 12, 2009
Cool! Thanks for the tip. Another extension that might be helpful is "Stylish". You can create custom stylesheets for individual pages.

I don't mind the light theme too bad, but it would be nice to have a dark option available natively.
Anders

Posted: May 13, 2009
Thanks Vin. I actually mentioned Stylish toward the end of my above post, but it is a very long post so I understand your overlooking it. I just have no experience creating style sheets, and went for the simpler solution, but Stylish may be even better.
Also, I think a native dark theme would be awesome. It was mentioned in the other thread from which this stuff came, but I can't find. I think it just has to be very low on Toodledo's priority list because it is purely cosmetic, and they seem like "function" people.
Paul

Posted: May 14, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
** SOLVED **

Great post Anders, got me thinking.

You can override colors within Firefox.
Options -> Content -> Colors. Uncheck 'Allow pages to use their own colors'

The default is cream on black. Perfect, and quick to switch back. I believe this is also possible on IE & Opera as well.
unisyn

Posted: May 19, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
As for the battery savings part, I believe it's the other way around.
LCD uses electricity to tint/darken the light emitted from the backlight.

So if you were to create a battery-saving theme, it would be whitish all over (Actually, Sony did so for one of their new laptops)

Though I'd still opt for the easy-on-the-eyes, don't be surprised if all the dark-theming ends up in a shortened battery life.
Anders

Posted by unisyn:
As for the battery savings part, I believe it's the other way around.
LCD uses electricity to tint/darken the light emitted from the backlight.

:(
It appears you are correct. Scientific American

I had heard of the 2002 paper, but should have figured technology changes very quickly.
However the easy-on-the-eyes aspect of it is more important to me anyway, and at least that article I linked, the difference between black and white is not very significant, so I don't think I would be likely to see any worthwile benifit from a light theme.

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight.

This message was edited May 19, 2009.
Anders

Posted by Rapid:
** SOLVED **
You can override colors within Firefox.
Options -> Content -> Colors. Uncheck 'Allow pages to use their own colors'

Thanks for the tip. I will have to try this out.
Anders

Posted: Jun 05, 2009
I just wanted to add to this thread that Vin has made and posted a nice dark (though not completely dark) theme for use with stylish, greasmonkey, etc.: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/2136/0/first-run-at-a-darker-theme.html
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.