ForumsTips & TricksEasy links to local and web based files

Easy links to local and web based files
Ummagumma

Posted: Oct 21, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
There's an easy way to create links to local and web based files in any Toodledo record.

1) (optional) Get FreeCommander file manager. It's a freeware two-pane (Norton Commander style) portable file manager with a great set of tools. One of them is copying the full name (with path) of any file. (You don't need FC to do that, but it does speed up the process of creating a link.)

2) In Windows 7, hit Start - Run. Then locate the Run icon on the taskbar, and pin it there.

3) Now, use FC to copy the full path to a file (e.g. "C:\2016\Projects\Project123\Contractor Cost Comparison Template.xlsx") and paste it in Toodledo note field. When you want to launch that file, highlight that text -> copy -> click on the "run" icon on taskbar -> paste and enter. Takes just a second more than clicking on a web link.

I think in the later versions of Windows, you can skip #2 and just paste this into search / Cortana bar, but I can't check it now.
coolexplorer

Posted: Oct 21, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Ummagumma:
There's an easy way to create links to local and web based files in any Toodledo record.
I think in the later versions of Windows, you can skip #2 and just paste this into search / Cortana bar, but I can't check it now.

Hey Thanks! I right clicked on my file, opened Properties, copied file path from top of Security tab, and pasted in relevant Task Note.
Copy-Pasted back in Search programs/files at bottom of Windows 10 menu, and entered.

Works like a charm. Much Thanks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.