ForumsTips & TricksControlling Toodledo with the Keyboard

Controlling Toodledo with the Keyboard
Rich

Posted: Jul 16, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
One thing I liked about RTM was the ability to do almost anything within the system by keyboard. However, I have found over the last 3 months that TD is superior in almost all other respects. Looking through the forum I see a lot of posts pertaining to requests for more keyboard shortcuts, or the ability to toggle subtasks automatically. One option, which I just thought of is to use the "mouseless browsing" addin for firefox.

What this addin accomplishes is to associate a keycode to every link on a page, which is updated when any javascript is run. I currently have it set up to show all available links with the press of "." and then [ctrl]+110 toggles my subtasks for me. Additionally, this gives you a key code for each parent task so you can make subtasks without using your mouse!!

Once I came to this conclusion, I immediately bought a membership, as this was one of the only major pitfalls I had with accepting the system.
Rich

Score: 0 Reference
Or you can just type 'sub[enter] :)
thpope

Posted by walesi:
Or you can just type 'sub[enter] :)
That's very cool. Thanks. My guess is this only works in Firefox.
Rich

As far as I know, unless other web browsers allow you to search for links only, which is what ' does
lite1

I am a huge keyboard fan so this is very helpful. There are at least 5 Firefox Addons that come up when you search on "mouseless" in the Addons area. I assume you are using the one that is actually called "Mouseless Browsing" which gets the mouse user reviews.

=======
While this is great and I will try it, as far as I am concerned though TD should still work on making keyboard shortcuts fully integrated into its own app as this is often a much more efficient way to do entry. Unless one guesses correctly about what the true TD shortcut will eventually be, one unfortunately would be faced with getting used to what one had used thru the work around of "FF Mouseless Browsing" and then have to abandon that and use what TD itself programs in. And since many of us hope that there will within a year or two be a stand alone/offline TD option, the mouseless browsing trick would not apply there either.

So while I gave a thumbs up vote for the OP and am grateful, I really want to urge TD to make keyboard shortcuts a higher priority. Look at it this way, if each new TD entry took 1 second less because you did not need to move back and forth from keyboard to mouse and there were 5,000 users making as few as 20 new entries a week this would collectively save users a total of nearly 28 hours a week, or more than 60 24-hour days during a year.
Enough of my "propaganda"!
Rich

Posted: Jul 17, 2009
I agree about the importance of the keyboard shortcuts. I also have difficulty finding a way to modify a lot of tasks at the same time, especially if they do not follow a particular trend that allows me to search for them. I know some people just use star as a selection modifier, but I want to keep my NA's!
jiuyen

Posted: Jul 21, 2009
My preference for the next keyboard shortcut would be a key to toggle the dividers. I like to have the dividers "closed," but they automatically open back up every time I hit "R" to refresh the screen after adding new tasks.

I suppose a default to have the dividers always closed to work, too.
gkumar

Posted: Jul 22, 2009
Where can I see a comprehensive list of these keyboard shortcuts similar to Gmail's keyboard shortcuts?
Anders

Posted: Jul 22, 2009
See this help topic: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=18
I believe they are all there.
jiuyen

Posted: Jul 23, 2009
Everything is there except the "r" to refresh the page.
Proximo

Posted: Jul 24, 2009
I am a "Clicker".

Dang oh Internet man, you just go in there man and Click Click Click, it's real easy Man".

- Boomhower
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.